Intersting Update (I think) Well lucky me...

I have been posting about re-profiling and needing to test...we had a bit of a storm and a tree cracked over and so I have fertile ground to test! it is not hard wood or anything although there will be chopping 3-4-5" sections and delimbing and processing to get it to the street...

First up:

EU handled MOFO!!! followed by my recent edge worked knives - cannot wait!

C

yeah - I will take some swings with the Shorty B! That thing is a freaking beast! Whole different level than the AK's, both equally badass...hard to image until in hand how big and meaty the Short B is...

Cannot even imagine a full sized But.

funny thing is, I was going to buy some firewood at the grovery store to get a little fix in and then, bam - downed tree...

Well - super cool discovery, kind of a bummer and a blessing.

So, I went out the next morning to begin chopping the tree away from the broken "trunk" in the pics. I started with my re-profiled NMSFNO, it was making some chips, and I was just really figuring out the best way to get at the tree. I then noticed some charring. I had it in the back of my mind that it was odd that this tree would have blown over so easily given we have had mostly rain and not any significant wind. I just figured it was a combo of big rain weighing this tree down and wind did the trick. I did not think too much more about it, just that a tree blew over and I needed to get rid of it. The more I examined the tree, and the closer I looked I realized that the tree had been struck by lightning. In the pictures you can see where the lighting struck. If you were to reconstruct the tree, this bolt struck almost perpendicular to the ground/straight down on top of this tree section.

I was meeting with a guy I work with in our program of recovery and gave him a heads up that we would be chopping up a tree while we had our regular get together - knife chopping and recovery go well in my book.

He texted me back "consider it done". I got off work to meet him at my house later after work, it was a downpour evening, so tree chopping was out of the question. Low and behold, when he said "consider it done" he was in the process of cutting it up with his chainsaw in the middle of the day.

So, no knife testing on this tree, although it needed to move pretty quickly before it started killing grass (not that it would not have come back in a micro-second down here).

So, instead of epic chopping tests, all I have are these stinkin' pictures and the piece of wood where the lightning struck in my garage!

I was like a little kid when I discovered that fresh strike-point. I do not know if I will ever see something that fresh off of a lighting strike again in my whole life. It is just fascinating to me that the strike point is so vividly clear and obvious.

lNVkg07l.jpg

BZlXyrgl.jpg

4JNMtCbl.jpg

8vVuRYhl.jpg

vrBBxHcl.jpg

nn5Vsaml.jpg

8cyxFeql.jpg

nED5IMml.jpg

8wmiKy4l.jpg

VR3gwfWl.jpg

IMG_0666.JPG

;)