Western L39 Pat’d

What is the date of this knife?

• Pre camillius western

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Post Camillius western

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I collect a few westerns and I came across this one... L39 with this on the tang:
Western
Bolder Colo
Pat’d made in USA

my questions are these: when did western first start production of the 39 design and when was this stamp used?
I know they used
pat appl’d for
pat pend
Pat’d
Pat #######
When were the approximate dates of these patent marks?
Was pat’d used before or after pat #######?
Here are some photos:

Thanks for any info pertaining to any questions!

The 39 pattern first shows up in the 1941 catalog. It MIGHT have come out in 1940 or even 1939, but I have not run across any advertisements for the pattern for either of those years.

On when a particular reference stamp was first used, there is fog as to when the shift from APPL'D FOR became PENDING/PEND - I have never seen anythiing in writing documenting when either stamp was last/first used.

PAT APPL'D FOR - 1931 to late 1932 or early 1933

PAT PEND or PAT PENDING - late 1932 or early 1933 to 1934

PATENTED - 1934

PAT. 1,967,479 - 1934

PAT'D - 1943 (on the G46-8) -- The most common place this stamp was used. I cannot remember seeing on something else, but anything os possible. All other WW2 knives, except the 2 that did not use the bifurcated tang have had PAT. 1,967,479. The 2 knives made without the bifurcated tang were the Bx54 Bushman and the Life Raft knife.

PAT. MADE IN USA - 1946 to 1953

Reference to the patent was dropped around 1953. Model Numbers were added in 1954 or 1955, depending on when a new run was made for a particular model. These model numbers were stamped into the PILE SIDE ricasso.

There were a very few knives with both a reference to the patent AND a model number on the pile side. I have come to believe (no proof) that these knives were made in 1954 using patent stamped blanks that were left over from a previous run and then stamped with the model number prior to assembly and sale.

Patent 1,967,479
Applied for and Filed Dec.15 1931
Pat.# assigned July 24, 1934
You can do a search on line for the Patent number and down load a copy of the patent complete with drawings.
I agree that there are unfortunately many holes regarding documentation and even just catalog information.
There are no representations of any 39 pattern knives in the 1936 catalog or earlier. I can only assume the earliest versions of the L39 would have been made after the patent had been awarded.

Need clear pics of stamps and knife overall to provide any info beyond the L66 is pre-1954.

Back