1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What´s the best steel?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Andreotti, Feb 23, 2021 at 12:51 PM.

1. Andreotti

Andreotti

May 25, 2004
    what is the best steel to kitchen knives? 440c or 14c28n.
    thank you.
    Best regards.

Alessandro

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Who is the best looking woman?
    What is the best food?
    Well, you see the problem;)

If you only meant between those two steels, they are pretty much the same. Here is a comparison graph:
    http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=440C,14C28N&ni=420,705&hrn=1&gm=0

If you meant of all steels, there are so many choices that there is no one steel that is BEST. It depends on your equipment, abilities, type of knife, and personal choice.

In use CPM-S35VN for most of my stainless steel kitchen knives.
    I use 26C3, and the Hitachi steels for carbon steel blades.
    Others are made with damascus, and Damasteel.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 3:13 PM
  3. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Both are fine,

Chance are you probably could not tell the difference in use.

Scaniaman likes this.
  4. Andreotti

Andreotti

May 25, 2004
    thank you.
    Best regards

5. Greenberg Woods

Greenberg Woods Wood Fanatic and Rosewood Addict

Dec 27, 2013
    My girlfriend,
    Probably Pad See Ew

too easy Stacy. Step it up

Ron Raducanu and polish avenger like this.
  6. Dimitar Popov

Dimitar Popov

Nov 28, 2019
    Rwl34 :D

7. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Pad see ew is so plebeian.
    Everyone knows that the best food is fresh uni right out of the sea urchin (seriously, once you have eaten it right out of the live urchin you will hate what they serve in the restaurants), and a close tie is fresh ika or tako ( properly tenderized ... of course).

Ron Raducanu likes this.
  8. Hankins

Hankins KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2008
    VG10

9. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    I don’t know... you might think it also plebeian, but for my family, it is hard to beat garlicky basil pesto. With pasta, as a sauce on pizza, just spread on chicken, etc. I grow lots of basil in the summer, and make pesto literally by the gallon. They insist on it.

(I can already see it though ... horsewright is about to post photos of grass fed steaks cooking on the grill ... perhaps with a glass of whiskey on the side...)

Wyo Coyote likes this.
  10. Greenberg Woods

Greenberg Woods Wood Fanatic and Rosewood Addict

Dec 27, 2013
    I dont think ive ever had any uni that wasnt fresh from the urchin. One of the many beauties of the west coast is that the shores are TEAMING with life

11. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007

A.McPherson likes this.