What’s the best blade type for a small Inkosi

Ogri

Gold Member
I am planning on buying a small plain Inkosi but can’t decide which blade will suit best between the drop point of the Insingo . Looking for any advice please

I've owned the insingo and the drop point, have no experience with the tanto. I can say for EDC, the insingo is awesome. I much prefer it. It's still got enough of a tip for fine work but you have more edge to work with. I don't think I'd ever get another drop point to be honest. The drop point is better at stabbing through things.

I feel the same as Suzuki above. The Insingo blade is a worker and excels as such. I have both an Insingo and a drop point in large 21’s and much prefer the Insingo. It’s got a great belly for slicing, a much stronger point (my opinion only) and can do everything a drop point does but offers a stronger profile.

For me, the insingo blade is a great work knife. The drop point is better suited for both work and every day stuff.
I’d suggest getting the drop point first and then the insingo even though you can’t go wrong with either.

For me, too often the grass is always greener on the other side. But if I must say, I say insingo.

And that is why I own one of each:)

I’ve only owned one Small Inkosi so far and it was an Insingo. Next time I’ll go with...another Insingo!:p:D

I have one drop point; because it was a necessary compromise if I wanted snakewood...which, of course, I did. Insingo all the way, for me (unless/until I buy a zaan tanto).

I have a drop point and it is great
I think the insingo is just as good
You can take the one you want based on look without taking any risk IMHO

i think the tanto is fun but will be less functional in such a small blade unless you mainly cut tapes

I think the Insingo looks kool with any of the handle options available .

Purely based on aesthetics for me. I can't look at Insignos for more than 2 seconds.

Not that I don’t like it, but I do wonder what it would look like if the hump of the swedge was taken out so the blade profile had more of a Wharncliffe look to it...

Purely based on aesthetics for me. I can't look at Insignos for more than 2 seconds.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

At first release I thought "wow that is ugly" after using them, i think they are amazing. Surely a drop point looks better (10 fold) but man does that insingo work well.

Beauty and a Beast is what I say.

INSINGO all the way.

Can’t really say more than anything everyone else has said. Drop point looks better by far, but the Insingo is just a great worker/edc. There’s several folks here who do the same thing that I do with my knives and they’ll tell you the same.

I had a drop point first then insingo. It really makes you appreciate the insingo. Hell I can make a tanto work better than a drop point for certain things.

For years I could not imagine how anyone could like the Insingo blade. So ugly, and the drop point is so graceful in comparison. Then it dawned on me that my favorite kitchen knives are Japanese Gyutos. They have pretty much the exact profile as the Insingo. Funny. I decided to try out a small 21 Insingo and now I not only love the performance, I also have come to think it's more beautiful than the drop point. It's also easier to sharpen and another plus is the swedge. It's useful as a scraper and good for for cutting open boxes that have been taped--you don't get as much adhesive stuck to the edge. I still like the drop point, but I prefer the Insingo, especially in the smaller knives. But... splitting hairs here, I also think the shape of the 21 Insingo is just a little more appealing and somehow cleaner, design wise than the Insingo Inkosi. That said, I do own an Insingo Inkosi and love it. I've made your choice so much easier haven't I?

Reactions: JAB
I've reached the point that it's hard for me to pin an actual preference on any of the three blade shapes. Each one of them does something or another I use them for better than the others but I can make any of them work for what I'm doing. I will say that I think the drop point is probably the most well rounded across the board.

Something to keep in mind, if you buy an insingo you can have CRK fit a drop point to it if you decide you'd like to try both. They won't do it vice versa though.

For years I could not imagine how anyone could like the Insingo blade. So ugly, and the drop point is so graceful in comparison. Then it dawned on me that my favorite kitchen knives are Japanese Gyutos. They have pretty much the exact profile as the Insingo. Funny. I decided to try out a small 21 Insingo and now I not only love the performance, I also have come to think it's more beautiful than the drop point. It's also easier to sharpen and another plus is the swedge. It's useful as a scraper and good for for cutting open boxes that have been taped--you don't get as much adhesive stuck to the edge. I still like the drop point, but I prefer the Insingo, especially in the smaller knives. But... splitting hairs here, I also think the shape of the 21 Insingo is just a little more appealing and somehow cleaner, design wise than the Insingo Inkosi. That said, I do own an Insingo Inkosi and love it. I've made your choice so much easier haven't I?
I never thought of this until now, but my favorite kitchen knives are Santokus and the Insingo is a similar profile. No wonder why I love them so much. To me, my kitchen blades are so much different than my folders I just never think them together. Well done sir.

I’ll agree the 21 insingo looks better than the Inkosi. I own both as well

Got 3 Inkosi´s and my favorite is the Insingo bladed one. It has for me the most utilitarian design.

Back