What are some of the best 1950's , 60's , 70's , 80's & 90's Television Shows

How about:
The Mary Tyler Moore show
The Red Skelton show
Dark Shadows
My grandmother loved Lawrence Welk

Just like The Honeymooners, you can watch a hundred times and it is still funny.

For the fans, back in the 90s we had to go to the German Embassy here in NYC with my Dad. His sister passed away in the old country and there was paper work.....
Very proper.
Very official.
Pop was properly nervous about all the officials.
We waited on line after going thru security checkpoints.
Just as the window emptied and the clerk was about to say "Next"
My wife whispers in my ear:
"Whatever you do, don't mention the war."
I lost it.
Father was not pleased.
Yes, we owned plus the script. Must have watched each 100+ times.

Sorry for the Interruption of our evening broadcasting ~ Now something from our Sponsors ~ Please Stand By ~ Coming Soon ~

Broadcasting.jpg

Last edited:
Well... my list, in no particular order, would be
  • Science Fiction Theater
  • The Twilight Zone
  • Burns and Allen
  • Leave It to Beaver
  • Father Knows Best
  • Ozzie & Harriet
  • The Phil Silvers Show
  • The Honeymooners
  • Victory at Sea

Two sitcoms (from the ‘70s and the ‘90s) that I forgot to mention: Happy Days and That ‘70s Show. That ‘70s Show was heavily influenced by Happy Days, for too many reasons to list here; but to state the two most obvious, both were set in Wisconsin, and both were set 20 years in the past.

Another thing they had in common were “jump the shark” moments, after which both series went downhill. Until then, the earlier seasons of both shows were great.

Happy Days intro:

That ‘70s Show intro:

Jim

This is the show from the 60’s I watched and I credit with my interest in the outdoors and the career I am about to pull the pin on after 31yrs. Being a game warden has been a hoot, nowadays it’s changed enough that its time to move onto retirement

This is the show from the 60’s I watched and I credit with my interest in the outdoors and the career I am about to pull the pin on after 31yrs. Being a game warden has been a hoot, nowadays it’s changed enough that its time to move onto retirement

Sorry it took such a long time for me to get back to you, I checked it out and thought it was Interesting ~ You could tell by the cinematography just how long ago this was made ~ Old show for sure ~ This thread king of just come to a stand still, guess every had posted just about everything they could come up with ~ they have now started another thread just like it called you're favorite television shows ~ anyways hope you are doing well ~

Last edited:
  • Victory at Sea
I tried watching Victory at Sea on Amazon and I couldn't take it. It is "free" with Prime Video where free stuff gets poorer and poorer, and no doubt there are better reissues, but I couldn't enjoy this. Production and video quality were just too low. If I still had the 17" Stromberg-Carlson I watched in 1952, I might try it again.

The part of Victory at Sea which hasn't aged for me is sound score Richard Russell Bennett orchestrated and conducted for composer Richard Rogers. Rogers composed 13 hours of music for Victory which RCA edited and sold in four LPs. Their first release was in 1953, monaural only. In 1957 they recorded Volume 2 in stereo. In 1959 they re-recorded Volume 1 in stereo, and in 1961 they recorded Volume 3. The three stereo volumes were released as "Living Stereo" LPs when RCA got stereo record cutters, and they were remastered as "Living Stereo" CDs in 1992 — cut out long ago. This is the cheapest way to buy them now:

Victory.jpg

In the EU, recordings made before 1963 are in the public domain. This is a British import and it looks like they're still following EU copyright law.

If you buy the RCA LPs or CDs second hand, there is a production difference you should know about. In Volume 3, RCA added battlefield sounds to make it sound more like the TV series. If you like battlefield sounds, get Volume 3; if you just want the music, get Volumes 1 and 2. This is the music without sound effects:

The orchestra for the TV series and for RCA's LPs was the NBC Symphony Orchestra. RCA (which owned NBC) organized it as a New York broadcast orchestra for Toscanini, Stokowski, and Pierre Monteux, and they paid Hollywood scale which was higher than New York scale and got very good musicians.

Last edited:
Lot of UK comedy. Monty Python, the Goodies, Ripping Yarns, Fawlty Towers. All the Irwin Allen stuff even if some of it is painful to watch these days. Supermarination/Gerry & Sylvia Anderson stuff. And let's not forget Rockford Files, Simon & Simon, Fall Guy, and The Equalizer.

The Munsters, Adams Family, and the Rifleman are the first to come to mind for me.

Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In.
A bright spot in a very strange time.

Come to think of it, THIS is a very strange time. Maybe it's time for a rerun.

Back