1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you thankful for? - Giveaway! *UPDATE* Winners Chosen!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Fixall, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Hello BladeForums, I hope you're all doing well!

Now that Halloween is over and Thanksgiving is just around the corner, I thought now would be the perfect time to do this.

I've been a member of several forums over the years, but I've never come across one quite like BladeForums. Forgive me for being cliche, but this place is special. The advice I've been given, the kindness I've been shown, and the knowledge available here is overwhelming. The generosity and sense of community found on this forum is astounding. You all (members and moderators alike) should be proud of yourselves.

A while back, in the "Pay it forward" thread @Lee D sent me a Fallkniven SK3 Juni to give to my niece for her Birthday without requiring a "pay it forward" in return. In an attempt to pass the buck along and show support to BladeForums and the members who make it special... I thought we'd do a little giveaway!

This will be a two part giveaway. The first part will be open to all non-paying members with at least 100 posts outside of the Exchange and the second part will be open to ALL paying members (regardless of post count), moderators (if allowed), AND any non-paying members with at least 1000 posts outside of the Exchange!

Just post an "I'm in" and let us know what you're thankful for this year with a quick sentence, picture, story, poem, whatever you'd like! I'll automatically place you in your correct group based on your membership status and post count. Winners will be chosen at random by two drawings using "Random Name Picker". If you are a non-paying member with OVER 1000 posts who would like to be entered in the Membership Drawing instead of the Knife Drawing, let me know. I'll keep the contest open for a couple weeks or until interest starts to wane.

Now for the prizes!

For the first part (open to all non-paying members with AT LEAST 100 posts outside of the Exchange)...

One Grand Prize winner
    will receive a Gold Membership to BladeForums!

Three Runner Up winners will receive a Basic Membership to Bladeforums!

For the second part (open to ALL paying members regardless of post count, moderators, AND any non-paying members with AT LEAST 1000 posts outside of the Exchange)...

One Grand Prize winner will receive a brand new sprint run Spyderco Delica V-Toku2!

Here's what Spyderco has to say about the knife:
    This remarkable Sprint Run edition of the popular Delica 4 Lightweight showcases a three-layer laminate blade with a V-Toku2 tool steel core. Renowned for its toughness at high hardness, V-Toku2 is a Japanese steel made with Swedish iron ore enriched with tungsten, vanadium, and chromium. To bolster its strength and provide greater corrosion resistance, the V-Toku2 core of this blade is flanked by outer layers of SUS410 stainless steel. This laminated construction is evident when the full-flat-ground blade is examined closely, as the transition between the core and outer layers is clearly visible just above the blade's cutting edge. Nevertheless, because V-Toku2 is a true tool steel, its exposed surfaces are susceptible to corrosion and must be maintained properly.
    All other features of this amazing knife are consistent with the standard version of the Delica 4 Lightweight, including skeletonized stainless steel handle liners, a stout back lock mechanism, and a four-position pocket clip. Its fiberglass-reinforced-nylon (FRN) handle is also injection molded in the signature blue-gray color that identifies Spyderco's elite V-Toku2 Sprint-Run series of knives.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One Second Place winner will receive a brand new Spyderco Tri-Angle SharpMaker sharpening system! Not much to say about this... Everyone knows about it, everyone loves it.

[​IMG]

One Third Place winner will receive a ORIA 56 bit screwdriver kit AND a WIHA stubby screwdriver with adapter! I picked up a couple of these screwdriver kits a few months ago and was really surprised with the quality of the bits. The bits are 6150 CV steel and have performed very well for me. I haven't needed the backup kit so I thought one of you could make use of it. The one downside to the kit is the screwdriver. It's great for working on computer and whatnot, but it doesn't really have the proper shape to apply the torque needed to break a pivot doused in Loctite... Luckily I'm including a WIHA stubby screwdriver with bit adapter with the kit! If you haven't used a WIHA stubby, you're in for a treat!

[​IMG]

I'll go first!

2018, like all years, has had it's ups and downs for me, but overall I have a LOT to be thankful for! I joined this forum and discovered a new passion. I underwent a couple surgeries that have improved my quality of life. I received a rather significant promotion at work. And best of all, I married the woman of my dreams!

So for 2018, I'm thankful for...

Family, Friends, Health, and Sprint Runs. :D

[​IMG]

What are you thankful for!?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    How will winners be chosen?

Fixall likes this.
  3. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Winners will be chosen with two random drawings.

Thanks, I'll update the post with that.

sparklygalaxy, TheEdge01 and marcinek like this.
  4. Dr Blazer

Dr Blazer Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2018
    I'm in.
    I'm lucky to have an incredible family. I've gone through some hard times this year and have been very lucky to have parents, sisters, brothers, nephews, and dogs to keep me happy to be alive. I couldn't ask for a better family.

P.S. That's a wonderful photo. Your dog looks happier than you and your wife, lol. And I don't mean that offensively. You and your wife look very happy, but your dog looks amazingly happy. It's crazy how happy he looks!

Fixall and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  5. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I’m in!!! Thanks for your generosity. I am truly thankful for everything God has blessed me with. We have a tendency to take things involved in our everyday lives for granted such as health, family, etc. My wife has been dealing with major health issues for the past few years but the good Lord allowed me to keep her. So this Thanksgiving, I am thankful for my wife.

6. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm in. Thanks for the generosity. You really do see peoples true character sometimes. Congrats on your wedding also.

I'm thankful for my sobriety and the family it returned to me and my little baby boy who makes everyday worth it.:D

7. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Great GAW and congrats on your wedding. I'm in and thanks for the chance.

This year has been a bit rough ... both my parents had been battling cancer for a few years ... my father passed in May ... and my mother's cancer spread in August ...

though I miss my dad greatly and it is rough sometimes seeing mom struggle with things ... I am thankful for each day ... hour ... minute I got with dad and get with mom ... and that I am able to be here with and for them.

And I am thankful that I was Blessed to have the parents I had/have ... they were always supportive ... always there no matter what ... and took time to teach me everything they could ... and any of the good in me comes from them and their love and guidence.

And I am thankful for the new friends I've made on BF ... for all the blessings I have in the midst of the trials of the last year.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  8. l1ranger

l1ranger Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2017
    very cool, count me in.
    I'm thankful for mine and my family's health and an opportunity to see some old friend over the coming holidays.

Fixall likes this.
  9. Minirehak212

Minirehak212 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Wow man, this is really cool. Count me in as well.

I have a lot to be thankful for but for this year specifically I am thankful for the opportunity I have to do what I really want to do in life. For the past couple of years I was going to school for Security Technology and I wanted to be an Ethical Hacker. Computers have always been a love of mine so I guess it felt like the right idea to go to college for it. Well after about a year and a half I learned that sitting at a computer and running scripts all day was not what I wanted to do in life.

After some long talked with my parents and my lovely girlfriend (who puts up with my hobbies and my interests (which I'm SO thankful for)), I made the decision to drop out of the IT program and I'm starting school for Music Composition in January. My boss just recently sold the company where i was working so that gives me a chance to go to school full time. Playing music has always been a part of my life and I'm thankful that my loved ones gave me the push to pursue what I truly love. Since elementary school I have played the Violin, Viola, Percussion (snare drum), Alto Sax, sang in Choir and I have been playing the Bass for 4 years. It's almost shocking that it took me this long to to to school for music. But I am excited for what the future holds and I have a great support net backing me up

Fixall and JupiterPaladin like this.
  10. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Thank you for a great GAW, and a great theme.

First and foremost, I’m grateful for my wonderful wife of almost 30 years. I’m a bit rough around the edges and regardless of my stupidity she’s fiercely loyal and quick to forgive. This brief story will give you an idea of how great she is:

I’ve been getting back into shooting lately, spending lots of time at the range and in the garage smithing, not to mention non-trivial expenditures on ammo and parts. The other evening I was up late fitting a fire control group. She stepped into the garage and said,

“Honey, I’m glad you enjoy guns and shooting and get to spend time doing something you like.”

No hook. No follow on “by the way.” She just said it and moved along.

Yep, she’s a keeper. And I am thankful.

Fixall, Night Rider and danbot like this.
  11. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Great GAW. No entry. :thumbsup:

palonej and Fixall like this.
  12. Matador

Matador Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Non Entry but good on you and congrats on all the good things!

Fixall likes this.
  13. blades&wrenches

blades&wrenches Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Not an entry. Great GAW and congrats on all the great things 2018 has brought you!

Fixall likes this.
  14. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Not an entry, please.

I'm thankful that I keep waking up alive.

palonej, Fixall and Night Rider like this.
  15. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Not an entry, but wow! What a generous and intriguing giveaway! Good luck everyone!

palonej and Fixall like this.
  16. JBradley500

JBradley500

Dec 23, 2015
    I’m in. Thankful for my rugrat being smart and healthy.

Fixall likes this.
  17. barrabas74

barrabas74 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2005
    I am in. I am thankful for two beautiful children, a woman that loves and tolerates me. I am thankful for being given second chances when I never deserved them.

Fixall likes this.
  18. Night Rider

Night Rider

Apr 16, 2018
    Awesome thread! I'm in Sooo much to say but i'll short. I'm thankful for every minute I get to spend with my wife good or bad. The wife and I have 4 boys ages 23,23,19, and 13. Yup the last one was let's say unexpected:oops: she is a neonatal nurse ( premature baby nurse ) who works long shifts and her long hours and devotion to her job has caused some friction with me in the past by missing out on a bunch of events and outings. One day a little over a year ago She called me at work crying and telling me that her head felt like it was going to explode so I raced home to find her curled up on the sofa in the severe pain. I rushed her to the hospital where she sat for 9 hours due to the opioid problem in my town they think everyone is pain med seeking so she sat in pain. The time came and I had to pick the 13 yo up from his First day of middle school so I had to leave her and bring him from school to hockey practice, he was on two teams at the time. While driving to the rink my wife called me crying telling me she had a brain tumor and that they were rushing her into boston for surgery. well when I got to the H a nurse told me that they finally decided to do an MRI out of ideas and Tylenol wasn't working and "That it was a bummer about my wife's tumor'' and that I just missed the ambulance. Long story short LOL she spent the rest of the week waiting for the surgeon to gather the best of team because her tumor was the size of a pear and had run out of room to grow. Well the operation went Perfect and when she woke up in the recovery room and said she was in pain I was relieved in the fact that she could still speak. She spent the next 3 months in rehab learning to read, wright, and walk again all with the driving ambition to get back to work and her work friends and when she finally came home her work friends formed a list of people who would check in on her during the days I was at work,Prepare home made meals, and drive her to her radiation treatments 6 days a week for 60 days so I could keep my job and get youngest to practices in order to keep some normalcy for him. During the time when I would come home, do laundry, serve meals, check homework, vacuum, pay bills and then drive 40 minutes into town to see her every night I really began to appreciate all she did for us as a family without complaining. Yes I was a dumbass and that's what it took me to see the light. She is now back to work (full time plus overtime) at the place she loves so much with the nurses who took such good care of us. She is doing awesome now and I got to witness first hand the caring and generosity friends and strangers so go hug your wives boys because every day good or bad with her or him (I don't judge) is a blessing. When I climb into bed at night and she starts snoring it now brings a smile to my face because I layed in an empty bed for too long alone praying for strength to get me through the next day and wondering how i was gonna face life a single dad and if my wife would ever come home again. Life is Full of blessings:thumbsup: but sometimes you have to look a little harder for them and you will never know how strong you can be until strength and faith is all you have left. The One year anniversary of clear MRI's has passed and looking forward to another year with her and her snoring. I want to finish by saying Hats off to the big guy upstairs for listening to my simple prayers and that this world is full of caring people doing selfless deeds for others, It just doesn't make the news as much. So much for being Short lol. P.S. This board helped me pass lots of time in waiting rooms by keeping my mind from wandering into dark places and making me laugh out loud. Thanks to all who contribute to it.

Khanvoy44, ATJ999, t.willy and 5 others like this.
  19. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm in for the member drawing, just reupped my gold so I wouldn't want to take that from someone who can use it. If I win I'll also PiF something in return.

I'm thankful for having such wonderful parents. Right now we are looking to get a new car for me, and my dad is putting so much time into the search when he has so little to spare. He might be a dick, but he's a great dad.

ATJ999, t.willy, Fixall and 2 others like this.
  20. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    I'm in! I'm thankful for the friends I've made here on BladeForums. I actually have more interaction with people here than in any in person. Work has been stressful, and home life has become challenging lately. The crew here helps a lot more than you'd think.