What is the best folder at a price about 150 USD

I am going to see the exhibition Knife 2000 in Prague, Czech Republic this weekend. I would like to buy a folder there. I hope there will be a great selection of them and perhaps an exhibition discount. Can you tell me please what is the best folder available at a price about 150 USD?

Best is kind of hard. The LCC may be the best fit and finish, but the Rekat carnivore is close to my ideal folder. Save the BM bali line. What are you looking for? User, loos, defensive carry, culinary artistry, multi-tool............

shootist16

knife law moderator
I was going to say the Microtech LCC or the Al Mar SERE 2000.

------------------
Dennis Bible

I am looking for user, everyday carry knife, not for defensive carry, culinary artistry, multi-tool. Standa

REKAT's Carnivore or the Carnivore Cub. Both feel great in the hand and built like tanks.
You should be able to find both of them for under $150 from an internet dealer. Benchmades 710 Axis Lock would be another great choice. Good luck deciding which knife to get.

Double Edge Dave

Moderator and Gold Member
I have always felt that REKAT products are best purchased in person as opposed to over the 'net. I have a couple of them and find that they are good, tough knives. I have also found that their quality varies wildly,especially in the action. Some are gritty and notchy. All knive companies have variations in quality, but it has been my experience that REKAT has the most variation.
Do not underestimate the handle ergonomics as well. I love my LCC but I have large hands and it fits them well. The Benchmade 710 and 940 are a little slimmer. Best to handle a bunch of them and see what fits you best. Big hands= LCC, small hands= BM 710 or 940.
Go Gators!
David

------------------
AKTI# A000150
NC Custom Knifemakers Guild member
NC Knife Knuts member

[This message has been edited by davidb415 (edited 10-23-2000).]

In my opinion, the best are the Benchmade 710, 720, 730 Axis locks, and 750 Pinnacle, and the REKAT Pioneer and Carnivor, none of which are liner locks, and all of which have good edge geometry and ergonomic handles.

Definitely consider the Benchmade 710 and the other Axis Locks. The Benchmade 940 is a very sweet knife as well.

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

Depends on what you want to use it for. My suggestion would be the Emerson Commander. If you look around you can buy one for $155.

stjames

Sebenzanista
Originally posted by Steve Harvey:
In my opinion, the best are the Benchmade 710, 720, 730 Axis locks, and 750 Pinnacle, and the REKAT Pioneer and Carnivor, none of which are liner locks, and all of which have good edge geometry and ergonomic handles.

When Steve is right, he is really right.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Gator97

Gold Member

I guess I'm axis proponent too
smile.gif

I have Microtech SOCOM elite as well, which I got rather to satisfy my curiosity. Nothing to say, very high quality product, fit & finish definitely better than on BM, besides the heat treatement of Microtech seems to be better(I may be wrong), heard few times that 154 CM blades on Microtech hold an edge better than BM 154 CMs.
Anyways, my everyday carry for 7-8 month is 710 Axis in M2. Same blade length, more compact, holds the edge just great
smile.gif
I like 710 blade geometry better, IMHO tip is stronger on 710 than on MT SOCOM. & Finally, even though Microtech lock bar is rock solid, still it's no comparison with axis.
One thing is Microtech you can use right out of the box & BM you'll definitely have to sharpen yourself, becasue it will come with the edge that's too thick. Reprofiling M2 blade is not a candy either
biggrin.gif

------------------
zvis.com
Have Fun,
Alligator

I'll cast my vote for the Benchmade Pinnacle if you don't like liner locks, and the Microtech LCC if you do.
However, I have yet to actually handle the Benchmade 940, and it looks like a real winner.
-Paul

Benchmade and Microtech are not the only makers out there. You may want to check out the price and value at our site:

http://www.estoremanager.com/deltazkniv-118/Products.asp?ParentID=39579

or

http://www.estoremanager.com/deltazkniv-118/Products.asp?ParentID=39578

Good luck with your search!

Barnaby Zelman

Delta Z Knives, Inc.

------------------
Proud Bladeforums.com SPONSOR & MODERATOR!
Please accept my personal invitation to join the new product announcement and special sale list at our web site.<p> http://www.DeltaZ-Knives.com

There are many good folders in your price range, at least here in the U.S.A.

Look for a well known company, with a known track record. Find a knife that fits your hand with a good blade steel and a profile that will work for you.

I have used an Emerson Commander to strip wire and cut cans open. It certainly hasn't been treated gently and is holding up well.

For a more general use knife, something like a MT Soccom, MOD Hornet would get consideration. I should also note that I have been very happy with my Spyderco Wegner. With the hollow grind, it seems very sharp after a lot of usuage and is easy to sharpen up again.

For an everyday work knife at a good price, checkout the whole Spyderco line. There should be several in your price range with slightly different sizes and blade shapes to suit your intended use. Mircotech and Masters of Defense are certainly worth looking at but, are apt to be priced out of your range. If mail order is reliable to your part of the world, your dollar may go farther with an internet purchase but, you should see an example in person before buying of a web-site.

Stay Sharp,
Sid

[This message has been edited by Sid Post (edited 10-21-2000).]