What SPECIFICALLY in knife advertising annoys you?

And please do not just say "LT" or "CS Videos", or this thread will get real old real quick.

I'll start:

I hate it when descriptions of small knives call a clip point a "bowie-style blade". It's just a clip point!!!:mad:
A bowie is partially defined by it's length, yet knives like the Krein Pocket Bowie, Folts Minimalist Bowie, and even CQC-13 call their blade shape "bowie"

Thatd be like calling a tanto a katana, a spearpoint a claymore, or a wharncliff a saex. Drives me nuts!

What specifically bothers you?

kreole

Gold Member
--Turning the blade into a billboard

--"[X] is a good steel. It is very sharp!" Glass can be sharp, but that doesn't make it good.

Cold steel did something similar when they created the Cold Steel Scimitar and even said something like get the effect of a scimitar in your hand

Please! The blade is 4" compared to a sword that was almost 2 ft

mentioning it as a weapon.

yes yes, some knives may be made for one thing only, like the spyderco civilian, or the microtech jagkomando.

anything that mentions tactical or hard use.

im not buying my knife to slam into a tree and use as a step ladder or im not slaming it into a car hood in an attempt to open it up. my hood relase still works fine for that task :D

and im not buying a knife to carry around in the hood and slam into somebody's chest. i buy them to cut boxes, tape, rope etc.....

when people mention tactical knives i always think to my self that kitchen knives have killed more people than emerson's, cold steels, microtech etc...... combined!

i really like spyderco's advertising. they realise that they make cutting tools and not weapons. even with the military sal said that it was the best soldiers edc knife. not tactical knife. he said it was good for cutting MRE's, thick straps, webbing, 550 etc. not for cutting people

When a manufacturer states that " This knife never needs sharpening. "

Anything that says:
Surgical stainless and doesn't tell you what the steel is.
Whats the make up of the steel?!?!?!?!?
And also " Meat Tests" they show on videos.
IM NOT BUYING A KNIFE TO FIGHT OFF COWS AND PIGS!!!!
or any flesh or bone creature. Im buying it for EDC

Tactical knife ads and cold steel, tops knives descriptions are kinda cheesy.

By adverting, I'm defining it here to include the information on a dealer or manufacturer's website. I don't like it when I don't get full, accurate, updated, and clear technical specs. I find myself going back and forth from the manufacturer's site to the dealers noting descriptions that could be for completely different knife models. Otherwise, the more bs fluff the advertising copy the less motivation I have to continue reading about the knife.

Hawk45

Basic Member
Peeves:
Big monikers on blades.. (and guns).
When "tactical" or "Navy Seal" or any other military branch is used in advertising
When I have more information on a knife than the makers website
When a makers website give one picture or only half the specs. Come on.. give me a pic from every angle (top, bottom, open, closed, left, right)
- This is the age of the internet. Your website should be updated before a release of ANYTHING!\

Ankerson

Knife and Computer Geek
Gold Member
The whole tactical and weapon oriented type of advertising is not doing any of us any good IMO.

And most of the ads are really stupid looking with some dude trying to look all tactical and bad.... Yeah.... OK... :rolleyes: :barf:

The whole tactical and weapon oriented type of advertising is not doing any of us any good IMO.

And most of the ads are really stupid looking with some dude trying to look all tactical and bad.... Yeah.... OK... :rolleyes: :barf:

:thumbup: i could not have said it better. and those add's are what the "sheeple" see and thats how we all get a bad rap

Nuttyfancy, Cold Steel videos: hacking at pig carcus), etc...
Saying the manufacturing process has tight tolerance, etc..

"What specifically in knife advertising annoys you?"

When they don't list blade steel, aim hardness, blade length in decimal format or country of origin.

--Turning the blade into a billboard

I'm with you, too much writing on a blade drives me nuts!!!

A small logo or a tiny bit of writing is OK if it is out of the way but a big stamped billboard across the blade is ridiculous!

One of the most irritating things has to be when I look up the dimensions on the knife and get 3 or 4 different overall lengths from different sites, or when the manufacturer gets the blade length wrong by a quarter-inch.

Describing a knife as "custom" when it's handmade, but not custom in any way. For some reason, people don't understand the difference between the two.