What were they thinking.

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I just saw an ad on outdoor channel for this new Bear & son model 102.

The add mentions that it's a ball bearing flipper , it has a reversable pocket clip, and it's American made.
Then they get to the steel which is described as " American 440 stainless steel ".
I'm not into modern folders so I don't know if the design would sell, but I do know one thing.
Even I know that they dropped the ball with their steel Choice.
Anyone who knows about or cares about any of this knife's features is most likely a knife enthusiast, and I don't think any of you guys would be rushing out to buy a knife like this in " American 440 stainless steel " would you ?

Am I wrong in assuming that most of you would want one of those more premium type blade steels ?

It looks like a gas station knife to me, but I feel that way about a lot of modern folders so I probably have no business judging it's looks.

i dont want a bear and son knife at all

id guess they are marketing to the same people that catch on to key words like ball bearing flipper and stainless, but don't know 440 from D2 from HC.

No, your initial impressions are correct. It’s not spectacular. But I think they get some points for making an American made, inexpensive ball bearing folder

Depends on which 440 it is for me. If it's 440C ok sure, depending on the price. I'm not a huge fan of the slight recurve in the blade, and I do not like the end of the handle where that lanyard thing sticks out. I do like the overall look of it and the fact that it's apparently set up for tip up carry, also the fact that it's made in the US. I probably wouldn't go searching for one to fondle and possibly buy but I wouldn't count it out either if it is 440C.

You also have to remember the target audience isn’t necessarily a knife enthusiast like members here at BF or other sites. They are looking at the average consumer who doesn’t really care about steel type and the differences between them.

The ironic thing is the average consumer probably uses their knives more than most Blade Forum members and could really use a better steel.

You also have to remember the target audience isn’t necessarily a knife enthusiast like members here at BF or other sites. They are looking at the average consumer who doesn’t really care about steel type and the differences between them.

Exactly. It's why so many Ozark Trail knives fly off the shelves of Wal Mart. What steel is it? Pfffft…. who cares, it's only $5 !!

I actually took this opportunity to take a quick look at their modern folder offerings. And the few I came across were surprisingly all USA made. There was even an $50 s30v folder. I mean, they’re still knives I wouldnt buy but honestly I am a bit surprised.

The ironic thing is the average consumer probably uses their knives more than most Blade Forum members and could really use a better steel.

You're probably right.

I just figured the selling points of bearings and reversable clips... ect were lost on most non knife people who often buy gas station knives without these features.

Thinking about it though there are lots of people who know just enough to buy off brand copies from eBay...ect, and these selling points would probably put this knife in their pocket.

I’ve only owned one B&S knife. Quality was horrible - Never again.

They've got a few small slipjoints at the local hardware and the display models are pretty bad in the blade department but pretty nice on F&F otherwise.
It seems they've only got the display models left, otherwise I'd be willing to check them all for a good example of the little stag stockman.

I wouldn't buy a traditional B&S folder sight unseen, so I guess that really says it all.

Bear Edge 102 is ~$40 . Seems kinda pricey for what you get .

It is ASSEMBLED in the USA from foreign made parts . Not really "made in the USA" in my book , but better than nothin' if you care .

If it was even 440C , you'd think they'd say that ? 440C can be pretty good steel with good HT .

Bear Edge 102 is ~$40 . Seems kinda pricey for what you get .

It is ASSEMBLED in the USA from foreign made parts . Not really "made in the USA" in my book , but better than nothin' if you care .

If it was even 440C , you'd think they'd say that ? 440C can be pretty good steel with good HT .

Good catch, probably why it looks decent quality wise in pictures.
From what I've seen in person it doesn't seem like their employees can grind a knife very well at all.

yeah, I was thinking the same thing... it's the new maga slogan business model - make the blades, pivot, handle and screws in some low cost country, and then 'assemble' in the USA - amounting to a few minutes to screw it together

if you really care about supporting local employment, this is not the way (imho)

on the steel side, I would bet this is actually the china variant of 440a - 7cr17 - as detailed here:
http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/GB/7cr17.shtml

personally, I'd buy buck's 420hc and BOS heat treatment over these types any day

Last edited:
I have a Bear & Sons sodbuster, and while the steel (1095) is OK, it's construction is shoddy and cheap.

I bought my boy a couple Bear butterflies a couple years back. They were not great. He tossed them to the side with no interest.

They were thinking they would sell enough to turn a profit. Given that it's probably a 5-10$ knife to make/assemble, I imagine they will make a profit. I mean look at the crap that is being sold on Home Shopping Networks? If there was no profit in it people wouldn't do it.

yeah, I was thinking the same thing... it's the new maga slogan business model - make the blades, pivot, handle and screws in some low cost country, and then 'assemble' in the USA - amounting to a few minutes to screw it together

if you really care about supporting local employment, this is not the way (imho)

on the steel side, I would bet this is actually the china variant of 440a - 7cr17 - as detailed here:
http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/GB/7cr17.shtml

personally, I'd buy buck's 420hc and BOS heat treatment over these types any day
Can the say " 440 USA stainless steel blade " if it was Chinese steel ?
I know if things get worded just the right way a company can about be as misleading as they want, but I don't know whether or not they've done that here.

As a US company , probably couldn't get away with that for long . Chinese co.
Can the say " 440 USA stainless steel blade " if it was Chinese steel ?
I know if things get worded just the right way a company can about be as misleading as they want, but I don't know whether or not they've done that here.

, yes ...all day long !

Back