1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What's your favorite EDC lock up?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by AshesFall, Jul 31, 2019.

1. AshesFall

AshesFall

Jul 16, 2019
    I myself prefer either a frame lock or axis lock up. In my experience these two have been reliable and strong with no wiggle whatsoever. What's your preference/preferences?

2. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Benchmade axis locks come from the factory, free with wiggly blades. Old school, I like back locks. New school, I like the caged BB lock.

dsd5150 likes this.
  3. Pilot1

Pilot1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Frame lock with lockbar stabilizer, or Axis lock. I've never had any blade play with a Benchmade Axis lock.

4. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I’ll go with the frame lock. I’ve experienced side to side and up and down blade play with the axis lock. In fact my 3 month old Griptilian has up and down blade play.

5. brando555

brando555 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I like frame locks, but I still want to try out one of the Spyderco flippers w/ compression lock.

6. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Button lock.

7. Pistoleer

Pistoleer

Mar 24, 2017
    Back lock, frame lock, liner lock: simple and reliable

8. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    Im confused...is there a backlock flipper knife i dont know about?

Edited : so favorite locks now?

I really dont have a favorite lock...actually...my favorite lock is one that is secure, and has no bladeplay.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    AshesFall and craytab like this.
  9. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I can only recall one axis lock flipper. Are there more?

I associate flippers with frame locks.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  10. Pistoleer

Pistoleer

Mar 24, 2017
    You're not confused, I am. I confused the Spyderco Delica 4 with a flipper. Changing my vote to frame lock.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  11. AshesFall

AshesFall

Jul 16, 2019
    Seemed to be some confusion going on about flippers, so because of this confusion I went ahead and changed it to EDC instead. Problem solved.

12. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    There is one where they cut a little window into the lockbar so the flipper tab can fit through it. I think there are a few like that actually. I can’t remember the name of the one I am thinking of.

Here’s an example of one.
    [​IMG]

The only Axis flipper knife I have tried was their first example; the horrible Benchmade 300 Ball. The axis lock just wasn’t conducive to a flipper action making the knife almost impossible to flip without wrist.

Edit: this changed to favourite lock type?

Framelocks/linerlocks

Button Locks

Spyderco BB lock.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  13. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I like lots of different locks plus slipjoints which don't lock. For me, it's not so much the lock as the execution

14. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Demko Lock.

gazz98 and DocJD like this.
  15. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    If it locks it's gotta be a lockback, otherwise it's slipjoint or friction folder.

Chucktabulous likes this.
  16. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2013
    I like them all and can't say I have a favorite. I do know that back lock is my least favorite.

17. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    That's odd to change the title and thus the entire thread direction after many of us have already answered. Perhaps more thought should happen before starting a thread in order to ask what you really intend.

On the now topic, I don't have a favorite lock. I like many different types and especially no lock at all (edc fixed blade).

18. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Axis, Frame, Liner, Back, or no lock.

IMG_1506-1.jpg

19. Kaibab270

Kaibab270 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2019
    I haven't tried every last lock method but for me...

1. Compression lock. Not even close competition.
    2. Frame lock
    3. Axis lock

I prefer locks that do not utilize coil type or omega springs but the axis makes the list solely because its smooth and very easy to operate.

20. JimMD

JimMD Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2017
    N
    No preferred mechanism, but I always want solid lockup with no blade play. I don't mind a minor amount of lock stick and don't care much whether there's a lockbar insert as long as the lock geometry works well. I would like to see more use of the button/plunge lock, as I love it on my Olson M9.