What's your newest Buck knife

etex, study Flint's photo, post # 2148. His model has 1 black spacer in the pommel and 1 in the guard. Plus a 3 line stamp with no date code. That puts it 1981-85. DM

oh sorry, the lighting was bad in my picture. there are actually two black spacers at the pommel. Does that make a difference? I can post a better picture

this shows the pommel spacers better

so the guard has two aluminum and one black spacer, and the pommel has two black and one aluminum spacer.

Just received my new 104 Compadre exclusive from Filson. It has a blaze-orange cerakoted blade with Filson’s famous tin-cloth made into Micarta scales. It was expensive (for this model); however, this combination is ONLY available directly from Filson. It is a real beauty, and I consider it a fair value for what it is.

Just received my new 104 Compadre exclusive from Filson. It has a blaze-orange cerakoted blade with Filson’s famous tin-cloth made into Micarta scales. It was expensive (for this model); however, this combination is ONLY available directly from Filson. It is a real beauty, and I consider it a fair value for what it is.

Very nice and weird at the same time. Seems a few of our friendly vendors (C&C and SK) were shut off but then this partnership opens up at the same time. Love the Filson product. Just seems to go against what we've seen with exactly the same model with diff steel and grind.

The following were announced 3 months apart.

Buck Knives Launches Collaboration with Filson
The limited edition collection of branded knives are designed for a life lived outdoors
upload_2021-1-16_1-34-37.png

September 2, 2020
“We are excited to partner with Filson to create exclusive new offerings based on our Compadre Series Camp Axe and Knife. Using Filson’s patented tin cloth material on the handle and Buck’s use of premium Cerakote® blade coatings, these handcrafted tools perfectly reflect the style and performance you would expect from two heritage companies sharing similar values,” said Mike Silverberg, Vice President of Sales for Buck Knives

VS
SK Blades version, we heard that special projects were put on the Hold from Stephen. Here is SK's version.

The "Frontier"

D2 Blade, Full Flat Ground Blade with Burlap Micarta Handle. Hand crafted leather sheath.

Mid summer 2020,
We have an announcement here at SK and it's not great news. As many of you may know, the person who was running the Special Projects department at Buck Knives (hengem to you Forum guys) left a few months ago to begin a new job outside of the company. He was responsible for all Buck Special projects and 100% the reason for all the knives SK has been able to offer.

Since COVID and the departure of our contact, Buck has been unable to fill his role and we have not been able to place one single solitary order for any product. In short, Buck does not have a special projects department. In fact, we have been informed that we most likely will not get to order anything until mid 2021.

Because of this, we are considering either closing completely, or going into a "hibernation" status until Buck gets their act together. It's incredibly frustrating to be a few short miles from the Factory and not able to fill our shelves with new knives.

The bottom line is that whatever is in the store currently is all we have available for the time being. Many of you have requested more Gray Ghosts, and I personally am very frustrated and sorry that I haven't been able to get those.

So until things change with Buck, I suppose this is the way it will be.

Thank you to everyone single one of you for your support and continued patronage to SKBlades. I will continue to ask Buck to produce knives for us and hope they do.

Stephen

Owner

Last edited:
Very nice and weird at the same time. Seems a few of our friendly vendors (C&C and SK) were shut off but then this partnership opens up at the same time.
You're right Mike, weird, for sure. Saying they are cutting down off shore products, but then there are more in the catalog than last year. Saying no more special projects, cutting off C & C and SKBlades, but, going with Filson.

Very nice and weird at the same time. Seems a few of our friendly vendors (C&C and SK) were shut off but then this partnership opens up at the same time. Love the Filson product. Just seems to go against what we've seen with exactly the same model with diff steel and grind.

The following were announced 3 months apart.

Buck Knives Launches Collaboration with Filson
The limited edition collection of branded knives are designed for a life lived outdoors
View attachment 1491855

September 2, 2020
“We are excited to partner with Filson to create exclusive new offerings based on our Compadre Series Camp Axe and Knife. Using Filson’s patented tin cloth material on the handle and Buck’s use of premium Cerakote® blade coatings, these handcrafted tools perfectly reflect the style and performance you would expect from two heritage companies sharing similar values,” said Mike Silverberg, Vice President of Sales for Buck Knives

VS
SK Blades version, we heard that special projects were put on the Hold from Stephen. Here is SK's version.

The "Frontier"

D2 Blade, Full Flat Ground Blade with Burlap Micarta Handle. Hand crafted leather sheath.

Mid summer 2020,
We have an announcement here at SK and it's not great news. As many of you may know, the person who was running the Special Projects department at Buck Knives (hengem to you Forum guys) left a few months ago to begin a new job outside of the company. He was responsible for all Buck Special projects and 100% the reason for all the knives SK has been able to offer.

Since COVID and the departure of our contact, Buck has been unable to fill his role and we have not been able to place one single solitary order for any product. In short, Buck does not have a special projects department. In fact, we have been informed that we most likely will not get to order anything until mid 2021.

Because of this, we are considering either closing completely, or going into a "hibernation" status until Buck gets their act together. It's incredibly frustrating to be a few short miles from the Factory and not able to fill our shelves with new knives.

The bottom line is that whatever is in the store currently is all we have available for the time being. Many of you have requested more Gray Ghosts, and I personally am very frustrated and sorry that I haven't been able to get those.

So until things change with Buck, I suppose this is the way it will be.

Thank you to everyone single one of you for your support and continued patronage to SKBlades. I will continue to ask Buck to produce knives for us and hope they do.

Stephen

Owner

You're right Mike, weird, for sure. Saying they are cutting down off shore products, but then there are more in the catalog than last year. Saying no more special projects, cutting off C & C and SKBlades, but, going with Filson.

course I have no idear....but maybe it's a size deal. maybe they raised the dollar amount to a level few can handle and they aint offering it to the usuals?

my other thought is the Filson is just an orange cerakoted color and their name on it. rest is same. maybe it's a no changes allowed except colors and labeling type deal?

Yesterday's mail call. One of these things is not like the others...
oe9Tb8D.jpg

On the gray 112 Slim Select, one of the screws for the clip could not be removed at all. As a lefty, this is a no go. Called Buck yesterday around 10AM their time, and they were going to email me a return label to send this one back for a refund. Hopefully I'll get that email Monday. Since this color is being discontinued, I ordered a replacement yesterday. Got the blue version the day before, and have the red one, and a 112 Slim Pro in black G10 inbound also.

jbmonkey, it took me a while to edit my post above. They used Filson's tin-cloth for the micarta.
yep I missed that point.

thanks for fixing it. I got to say it looks almost the same, but it is different and a change.......

sharing similar values

The irony of "values" doesn't escape me.
They can say anything they want.
What they do has a pretty loud voice also.

The Filson knife is cool.
I like the handle and blade color. I almost added it to a Filson order I placed at Christmas. But found a Top's Tex Creek that I preferred.
I'm expanding my horizon's Thank-You very much!

Last edited:
I almost ordered one but thought I would support SK instead. Stephen is local here and a friend of mine. Super good guy, ambitious, intelligent, runs a successful main business. He is the ideal dealer type to be in business with. He spent the money on inventory, website, promotions etc. I considered purchasing SK but with Caleb C gone there was no way.

I almost ordered one but thought I would support SK instead. Stephen is local here and a friend of mine. Super good guy, ambitious, intelligent, runs a successful main business. He is the ideal dealer type to be in business with. He spent the money on inventory, website, promotions etc. I considered purchasing SK but with Caleb C gone there was no way.
I like the fact that he....
involved the collector.
actively got direct feedback from US on what we wanted. ie. options, blade steels, handle, even sheaths, etc.
spent his money to provide that to us.

I respect a company that sees an opportunity to involve/ sell directly to the collector. as opposed to ..........

ah right. "nothing nefarious going on" .

lol.

In staying with the topic of the thread, my newest Buck is 2 months old.
I'll have to find it buried under all the newer ones from elsewhere.

Back