Whats your pocket knife pet peeve?

stabman

Gold Member
Good on you. Those dang computers are taking away all the minimum wage American jobs at our checkouts (lol).

Considering that the jobs myself and many of my fellow university grads are stuck with are minimum wage jobs...
Oh wait, I get 50 cents MORE than minimum wage; never mind. ;)

Blades not centered when the knife is closed. This means you Benchmade and Spydrco. Especially Benchmade.

Foreign companies can do it on a $50 knife, why can’t you do it on a knife costing over twice that amount?

Oh, and another thing, I try to buy American made from an American company. If that can’t be done, I try to purchase American made from a foreign company. The idea is to save jobs here in the US.

That is the same reason I try to avoid self checkout. I once had a young cashier tell me that I should use self checkout because there was no waiting in line and it was easier and faster.

You should have seen the look on her face when I explained that I preferred to wait in line a short amount of time so she could keep her job. It was like the thought of people being jobless because of self checkout have never crossed her mind.
I like your post and I especially like your avatar. The wife and I are cat lovers too. Beautiful.

Seriously and I hope I don't offend any knife makers here but I hate some custom made knives that cost nearly $400 and they look like they came from another planet made out of some unknown metal only to have photos taken of them with all their shine and glitter to make some poor sucker's mouth water.

orangejoe35

The Opposite
Gold Member
I don't like it when there's not enough room for my giant thumb to actuate the liner lock or frame lock. I get it though. If it were much bigger, the tiny thumbs would fall in.

Quiet

"That guy"
Gold Member
Let's try to keep it civil. We're just having a discussion here. I don't think anyone is trying to tell you what you can or cannot do in authoritarian terms. In the course of civil debate though, it is at least courteous to answer questions and to respond in kind when someone takes the time to address what you've written.

Now, you've accused me of asking "leading questions". So let me take it a step further and restate my position as a heuristic.

1. When you refuse to buy knives because they were made in China, what is the intended goal of this behavior?

2. How well does this behavior actually promote the goal?

3. Is the reality of that goal more substantially determined by other factors totally unrelated to this behavior?

For the last time, I am under no obligations to answer questions from you*. Additionally, and more to the point, I am under no obligation to have to defend or qualify my stance to you or anyone else. Period. Move on. Thank you.

*I intensely dislike having to repeat myself.

Quiet

"That guy"
Gold Member
Just one question for you sir. What does it really matter to you? Really. This is America he doesn't have to answer you. You are acting like your entitled to some kind of explanation. It's also not a debate. He told you he wasn't going to explain his personal decisions. Let it go Elsa.

This guy, he gets it. :)

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Gold Member
Let's try to keep it civil. We're just having a discussion here. I don't think anyone is trying to tell you what you can or cannot do in authoritarian terms. In the course of civil debate though, it is at least courteous to answer questions and to respond in kind when someone takes the time to address what you've written.

Now, you've accused me of asking "leading questions". So let me take it a step further and restate my position as a heuristic.

1. When you refuse to buy knives because they were made in China, what is the intended goal of this behavior?

3. Is the reality of that goal more substantially determined by other factors totally unrelated to this behavior?

Not to speak for Quiet Quiet , but lemme take a crack at it:

1. Not owning Chinese knives
2. 100% effective
3. Huh? (Quiet would probably have a very elegant answer to this, but I am not he:oops:)

Just because we have less and less choice of where our products are made, doesn't mean that we should have to justify the choices that we are still allowed to make. And come on...in this case I think it's pretty obvious.

And to be on topic, my pet peeve is anything without a Tri-Ad lock (with possible exception of Scorpion Lock):D

The Aflac Duck

Gold Member
Not to speak for Quiet Quiet , but lemme take a crack at it:

1. Not owning Chinese knives
2. 100% effective
3. Huh? (Quiet would probably have a very elegant answer to this, but I am not he:oops:)

Just because we have less and less choice of where our products are made, doesn't mean that we should have to justify the choices that we are still allowed to make. And come on...in this case I think it's pretty obvious.

And to be on topic, my pet peeve is anything without a Tri-Ad lock (with possible exception of Scorpion Lock):D

Easy there, John. He’s taking a “heuristic” approach to this issue:eek:

Good God man. Give it a rest. Imagine if everyone wanted to debate everyone else's answers so intensely....

There isn't a whole lot that would keep me from liking a knife. So long as the sum of the parts are pleasing, I can over look a lot. For fixed blades, I do despise a crappy sheath.

Well, and clones. They suck.

jakemex

Basic Member
Pet peeve... I gots ‘em. Who cares? Like politics... Who cares?...
Votes; not commentary count in the end. My peeve - My having to receive cheap SAK copies as gifts with a smile!

sabre cat

Basic Member
I like your post and I especially like your avatar. The wife and I are cat lovers too. Beautiful.

Thank you.

The picture for my avatar was one that I pulled off the web. It is however almost an exact double of my cat, Jace. Even my wife was fooled by this picture.

Jace is nothing special, just a basic rescue cat but we enjoy having him around.

My daughter nicknamed him Monster Cat. That should give you an idea of his personality. At least towards her.

Hopefully my next cat will be a Russian blue.