When a sharp knife can be a dangerous knife?

Yesterday my wife asked me for my knife (Ontario Rat 1) for cut and slice some veggies, I usually keep my knives ultra sharp. Long story short, I heard a scream from the kitchen and my wife appears with her thumb full of blood... My question is if keeping my knives razor sharp is dangerous for a not knife person? Perhaps I should have a knife not to sharp for lending to another person? Here are the pics of my wife's thumb... She slice the tip out of it..
0b914d8b60f8d914964aa18ec2870bbe.jpg

e0550e1a8beab00e269c40dc0e5b93f2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The main issue I've seen is that people get used to dangerous habits with dull knives, so when they try the same bad habits when using a sharp knife they run into real issues. I definitely fell victim to this when I was a teenager, sliced a scoop out of my thumb because I was used to using my thumb to guide the edge when peeling veggies. These sorts of habits seem fine until you get a knife that has a real edge. Always respect the edge, I warn people when they borrow my knife that its probably sharper than the razor that they shave with.

I don't often lend out my knives because I don't like how people think they can double as hammers and screw drivers etc., but when I do I give a disclaimer that my knife is extremely sharp and please don't rub your dumb thumb down the blade checking the sharpness because you'll cut yourself...be aware of the edge.

OUCH!!!
I have found the same thing when showing people my knives. I warn and warn that the thing is screaming sharp......and every time they run their thumb down the edge.
Can't figure that out, but guess they really don't have a clue what sharp is.
Joe

OUCH!!!
I have found the same thing when showing people my knives. I warn and warn that the thing is screaming sharp......and every time they run their thumb down the edge.
Joe

And the worst part Joe, they then drop your knife on the ground....and I say worst part because they were warned.
Its like ya say, they dont really know what sharp is.

When I was a kid I sliced off the tip of my thumb while cutting cheese with a not so sharp steak knife.
IMO it's being careful with sharp knives and awareness. Keep em sharp!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharp knives will cut you. Dull knives will cut you as well. It is the operator, not the knife that you have to beware of.

And the worst part Joe, they then drop your knife on the ground....and I say worst part because they were warned.
Its like ya say, they dont really know what sharp is.

How true Mac!!! I have stopped handing people my knives!!!

A lot of truth in this thread.

A sharp knife may do more or less damage when cutting yourself than a dull knife.
In some cases, a cleaner cut from the sharp may make for less damage and scarring (and easier sutures, etc.) than a dull knife.
Then again, a dull knife may not cut quite so easily (like the tomato yesterday that I was literally SAWING on with the only knife available & it couldn't break the skin), meaning no need for sutures when you accidentally hit your finger instead of the vegetables you're dicing...

The best thing to do is to avoid sliding that edge across human flesh :)

It depends on the task. For cutting soft objects, the sharp knife is probably more dangerous as the only time you'll be cut is if you simply make a mistake and put yourself in the blades path. For cutting tasks that require some force, zip ties for example, the dull knife is far more dangerous as you have to exert much more force and are thereby more likely to overtravel beyond the intended cut into yourself or someone else.

In general, sharp knives tend to make mild, shallow cuts a bit worse, but dull knives are more likely to result in very serious cuts.

I did the same thing to myself, sliced the top of thumb off cutting mushrooms, it was operator error..
Skin grew back pretty quickly.

ANY knife is potentially dangerous, whether sharp or dull. The biggest danger around knives is really user error and inattention. It is easy to become distracted when using a knife, and to simply take it for granted. Then it's easy to be negligent. This is true for knife aficionados as well as non-knife aficionados.

Last summer, I seriously lacerated the extensor tendon of my right index finger, at the last knuckle, while mindlessly one-hand closing a folder with a Triad Lock. Although its lock might be the most secure when fully opened, it's very dangerous, IMO, to attempt to one-hand close such a design which, when unlocked and in the position I was holding it, slammed closed onto the back of my finger with extreme suddenness. It put me out of work for 4 months, and required months of physical therapy. My finger is mostly normal now, but is still a little bent forward at the last knuckle when the finger is straightened, and I still have to regularly extend and flex it to regain its ROM.

People talk about lock strength, while completely ignoring the inherent risks during the unlocking and closing phase. My accident was completely my fault, not the knife's, but some designs require more care and attention. One should never become complacent around any knives. Often, 'over-familiarity' breeds complacency. I now always maintain a healthy respect for all of my knives, in the same way a zookeeper can like/love the animals they work with, but must always respect the potential for danger.

Jim

A while back I had a PM2 with a mirror edge on it; to this day I have not seen a sharper knife than that beauty.
College buddy asked for it to cut open a trout. After warning him several times I lend it to him.
Instead of going back to the table the guy decides to hold the fish in his hand as he cuts the fish...knife went right through the fish out the other side and sliced his thumb up beautifully. To this day his finger just doesn't look right :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found a very sharp knife to be extra dangerous when you are not familiar with it's ergonomics. This could explain why friends always seem to cut themselves.

Ouch. Yeah, it always pays to get familiar with a knife's ergonomics before using it for any kind of heavy cutting. I made that mistake last month with my (then) new Kershaw Link. Know your knife and its limitations! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pocketknifeninja.com

OUCH!!!
Joe

It's called the "WET PAINT" sign syndrome LOL

What a great way to put it OT!!!
Or the wet cement!!
[emoji1417][emoji1417]
Joe

I always warn my wife when I sharpen the kitchen knives.

Back