when buying

When buying in person I look for the perfect specimen. Centered blade with no blade play. Nice grinds that are as symmetrical as possible. Nice detent with a smooth close.
Sometimes this is not possible and then I compromise. I will find one that I can fix the easiest. Usually this is a centered blade or a detent issue.
Does anyone else do this? If so what do you compromise?

Blade centering does not bother me at all as long as it does not interfere with the action. I have had a flipper that rubbed against the side and never had a problem with it. One of the smoothest knives I've owned. The downside to this is if I ever want to sell it, I pretty much can't because people care about centering way more than I do!! Plus a lot of the time the centering is just a pivot adjustment fix, and you are good to go. That is always a plus, when it is an easy fix.
I don't compromise on blade geometry, very important to me, same with HT, but that is very difficult to tell until you start using the blade.

As long as it works and its within a reasonable spec, I don't care. Its gonna get used, and no mechanical device ever stays perfect. I think that there are some things that are over-blown as far as F&F go, especially when you consider a price-point and that the guy making it has to eat. A couple thou here and there, again, as long as it functions as it should, and I'm happy.

It really depends on the knife's intended use and price point. On a $800 custom folder I'm going to be looking at every little detail, on a cheap beater I can live with some aesthetic issues.

For instance, last week I picked up a CS Finn Wolf on sale to use as a beater or an easy to replace folder for trips. The lock bar is a bit proud but the knife is 100% functional. I can live with that for 15 bucks.

Back