Recommendation? Which knife under $250???

Hey all,

So like the title says, I am looking for some recommendations for a new knife. A couple of helpful tidbits as criteria...
1) This has to be purchased on Amazon, as I have the $250 credit on their site.
2) I am interested in most any knives, but if I had to lean one way, I would say maybe a little smaller of a footprint.
3) I am not opposed to spending just a little more, or splitting the amount up and maybe getting a couple.
4) I am primarily interested in folders. I would consider a fixed blade only if tidbit number 3 had me getting a couple.
5) I am looking currently at a couple of ZT's. The 0562CF & 0770CF. As well as a Benchmade Mini Crooked River

Current Inventory: SPYDERCO = Paramilitary 2, Para 3, Dragonfly ZDP-189, Dice, Pakkawood Delica, Blue Delica. BENCHMADE = Osborne 940-1, 551-ORG Griptillian, North Fork G10, Green & Blue Bugouts ZT = 0095BW

Thanks everyone for any and all input!

Last edited:
I just ordered about 5 minutes ago the cold steel ultimate Hunter. With the s35vn steel for 103 bucks to the door. Very highly regarded on a post I read here for indestructible knives. Spyderco has some very nice stuff. They have a load of different models and steels. I don't own a zt but they're highly regarded as well. Good luck.

In all my knife searching recently, it seems that after you get past the $100-$150 mark you've pretty much got one of the best knives out there that doesn't have some designers signature on it, or materials that aren't really necessary in knives. If it were me, I'd buy two knives but as to which ones, I don't know. I want a PM2 but you already have one.

If you’ve never tried ZT, you should. People seem to be loving the 0470 right now. It’s got a smaller footprint than the 0562. The 0801 remains my personal favorite “larger” ZT.

Spyderco Kapara, Spydiechef, MiniCR are all good knives.

Get the one you find most appealing.

Last edited:
OP - you already have quite a few very nice folders :thumbsup: If I were you, I would buy a ZT 0562CF (I have tried 3, plus 2 0562s, and still keep 3 of them), arguably the best regular production ZT.

Just do your research and make sure you know how to tell genuine 0562cf from fakes, as you will have to buy on Amazon.

Are you going to use it for any kind of work or it'll be a object of conversation ?
All of my knives are put into EDC rotation...Even if I bought a Sebenza, it would be carried and used the nearly the same as the delica lol

My friend, edc means "carrying", I was interested if you going to use it for some work, not to carry it around...
Most of us carry two or more knives but there is a knife we use when we actually have to do some work.
From my experience the 0770cf does have excellent ergos and will do heavy work as well it'll look very good.
I'd go with any of the Spyderco's Gail Bradley 1 or Manix XL, good blade steel and solid locks and size, way below your budget I think.
Griptilians are excellent knives and you can pick few blade shapes, also few of the recommended already CS models are excellent picks, also below your target budget. I got very good experience with CS's Golden Eye, tanto blade - very good looking piece, very capable knife for work.

It takes my vote too, very good ergonomics and good looking knife too.
There are lot's of models that will fit in this budget...

For $250 I would get a couple Benchmades. Get a grip for $80 ish and then get a mini crooked, fact, grizzly Creek, 940, etc

My friend, edc means "carrying", I was interested if you going to use it for some work, not to carry it around...
Most of us carry two or more knives but there is a knife we use when we actually have to do some work.
From my experience the 0770cf does have excellent ergos and will do heavy work as well it'll look very good.
I'd go with any of the Spyderco's Gail Bradley 1 or Manix XL, good blade steel and solid locks and size, way below your budget I think.
Griptilians are excellent knives and you can pick few blade shapes, also few of the recommended already CS models are excellent picks, also below your target budget. I got very good experience with CS's Golden Eye, tanto blade - very good looking piece, very capable knife for work.
If I know ahead of time that I am going to be in an exceptionally abusive environment that I will want a folder for, then I will grab the griptilian. Otherwise, "carrying" means using my knife regardless and I use all my knives the same. I may try and pay more attention to how it is being used depending on the knife, but for me carrying does mean work. ;-)
For whatever reason the Spyderco GB has never piqued my interest and the Manix just never felt right. Thank you for the response though.

I will grab the griptilian . . .
For whatever reason the Spyderco GB has never piqued my interest and the Manix just never felt right.

I was going to recommend the MINI Griptillian in the best steel you can find (20CV).
I felt the same way about the GB until I got talked into appreciating them. I love mine and would never sell it. The blade looks weird but it is a great knife ! ! !
We are in agreement on the Manix. I had the LW in S110V.
Nope.

The Mini Grip I always ignored until a customer let me check his Mini out.
A month later I couldn't get it out of my mind. It felt great in hand.
Good stuff for a smaller knife and feels very solid and has some heft. A different feel than the full size Grip which I also have and like a lot.

I suppose someday I will have to get a ZT but from afar the blades look too thick and tacticool for my taste.
I was wrong about the GB and wrong about the Mini.
I can be educated . . . just takes beating me about the head with a brick.

I was going to recommend the MINI Griptillian in the best steel you can find (20CV).
I felt the same way about the GB until I got talked into appreciating them. I love mine and would never sell it. The blade looks weird but it is a great knife ! ! !
We are in agreement on the Manix. I had the LW in S110V.
Nope.

The Mini Grip I always ignored until a customer let me check his Mini out.
A month later I couldn't get it out of my mind. It felt great in hand.
Good stuff for a smaller knife and feels very solid and has some heft. A different feel than the full size Grip which I also have and like a lot.

I suppose someday I will have to get a ZT but from afar the blades look too thick and tacticool for my taste.
I was wrong about the GB and wrong about the Mini.
I can be educated . . . just takes beating me about the head with a brick.
I do have a suspicion that I would learn to love the GB as time went on, but I was hoping to find love at first grip lol. I actually owned a Mini Grip 555-1. The one with the G10 and 20CV and wanted desperately to love it. But unfortunately the grip was just about 1/2 away from being perfect. Or if BM would ever put a finger choil down there it would be a dream come true for me. But nevertheless it went to a better home. Yeah I find most of the ZT lineup to be too “tacticool” for my tastes as well. But I don’t see that in the 0652CF or 0770CF. I’ve held both and really enjoy them, but I’ve never been big on assisted’s. I’m plagued with an indecisive nature unfortunately and just drive myself a bit crazy with these choices lol.

But I don’t see that in the 0652CF or 0770CF. I’ve held both and really enjoy them, but I’ve never been big on assisted’s.
Cool !
These guys can help you deassist it ;)
I look forward to seeing what you get !

the 0562 is not assisted.. It is a flipper. And a very good one.

If you don't own a ZT that would be a great knife to break the ice. I love my zts.

I do have a suspicion that I would learn to love the GB as time went on, but I was hoping to find love at first grip lol. I actually owned a Mini Grip 555-1. The one with the G10 and 20CV and wanted desperately to love it. But unfortunately the grip was just about 1/2 away from being perfect. Or if BM would ever put a finger choil down there it would be a dream come true for me. But nevertheless it went to a better home. Yeah I find most of the ZT lineup to be too “tacticool” for my tastes as well. But I don’t see that in the 0652CF or 0770CF. I’ve held both and really enjoy them, but I’ve never been big on assisted’s. I’m plagued with an indecisive nature unfortunately and just drive myself a bit crazy with these choices lol.

562 series are great ZT knives. I highly recommend them. You could also check out its brother the 393. WE knives is also making some very interesting stuff in your price range. They have more edc type knives vs ZT which has mostly overbuilt tacticlol knives...though that is starting to change. Another great brand in this price range is Kizer knives.

If you want a 4 inch blade in a sleek knife check out the Real Steel Megalodon titanium which is an excellent knife or the ZT 452 which is also a great knife. These carry very slim light for their ~4 inch blades.

Anyway you have Spydies and Benchies so why not try something from a new brand?

Back