Which knives can you reccomend?

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, so I really hope I'm posting this on a right thread.

So, I'm planning to buy 2 more knives. One smaller knife for EDC and other one as back-up for my current all around knife (in case I lose it or something).

Currently I have Cold Steel Recon Tanto in SK-5 for a while now and it's great at doing tasks I use it for. So far mainly for cutting bush, cane, prying and sometimes to punch holes and cut trough plastic, I even used it while working at construction site.

I'm considering another Recon Tanto in SK-5 as a backup to this one, since it's serving me great so far, and considering the price (65 Euros) I think it's hard to beat, but at other hand, I wouldn't mind some diversity if anyone has idea of something as good or better in that price range.

Second knife I need is something for EDC, since Recon Tanto is fairly large knife, not really my first option to carry around the city.
My decision for EDC is a fixed blade, since every assisted opening knife is illegal to carry in my country, and if you're in situation to need your knife fast - fixed blade will be out faster than a folder. Yes, I am aware that folders are easier to conceal, but I am willing to compromise a little for a more reliable option.

Sorry for long post, I'd like to hear your suggestions and experiences, thank you in advance :)

For a small fixed blade I might suggest the Terävä Mini-Skrama. It is small enough to ride in the front pocket. I have the bare tang version and find I forget it is there when I carry it. Conceals well and does not get in the way whether sitting or standing. It is a carbon steel blade, which isn't everyone's cup of tea but it's a tough blade and holds a razor edge through some pretty tough work. Here's mine with its big brother.
IMG-6681.jpg

Are there any legal restrictions for carrying an EDC fixed blade? Open or concealed in your country ? I like his suggestion above. I like a lot of Childress knives for EDC, he shows up a lot on the exchange, usually 440C and about 6 to 6.5 inches overall. He had a bird and trout up for sale on the exchange. Another maker I eventually would like is Dave Ferry of Horsewright knives. Lots of good makers there and a few cool knives in the individual fixed blade section. I like small bird and trout size knives for small jobs. Production would be White River knives like the back packer or an Enzo necker. Just a few ideas and good luck with your search. Another thought is the Fallkniven wm1, but it is a small handle.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for answers.
I'll definitley look into Mini-Skrama. If it's available and price is fair, I'll definitley consider it.

I don't mind carbon steel blades at all, since they have some advantages over stainless ones.

It's perfectly legal to have fixed blade knife for EDC here. It is only illegal to have assisted opening knives and ones with knuckes on handle.

I've been looking at Cold Steel Spike series or something as Fallkniven F1.
But Fallkniven F1 is too expensive for me.

Whatever I buy - it'll be something that I'll use on daily basis, so nothing special is required and nothing too expensive (in case that I end up losing it somewhere). I'd just like to hear other people's opinions and explore what else is available on the market and what would be optimal choice for my needs.

I LOVE my BK14 with the zytel handles. I carry it in a pocket sheath daily.

Another cool option, is the ESEE CR2.5

It's probably a better EDC knife than the Becker, which I consider more of a pocket survival knife. :thumbsup:

Hey, thanks for answers.
I'll definitley look into Mini-Skrama. If it's available and price is fair, I'll definitley consider it.

I don't mind carbon steel blades at all, since they have some advantages over stainless ones.

It's perfectly legal to have fixed blade knife for EDC here. It is only illegal to have assisted opening knives and ones with knuckes on handle.

I've been looking at Cold Steel Spike series or something as Fallkniven F1.
But Fallkniven F1 is too expensive for me.

Whatever I buy - it'll be something that I'll use on daily basis, so nothing special is required and nothing too expensive (in case that I end up losing it somewhere). I'd just like to hear other people's opinions and explore what else is available on the market and what would be optimal choice for my needs.

Ok, since it may be ok in your country, I will shoot out LT Wright knives for an EDC, Next Gen or small Northern light hunter, or Frontier Valley. One last thought, I like the Manly Patriot.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for replies.

For now, I'll stick to commercially available knives I can buy at the store here.

Some of the reccomended knives sadly aren't available in my country (unless buying online).

But I really like the Manly Patriot, and it is available here for a a fair price (even tho it's in stock-out till end of the month). Also, D2 steel will serve me nice.

I think that buying Manly Patriot and another SK-5 Recon Tanto will be decent.

For around 100€ total I won't complain.

Timberjack is OK but I find the handle shape bit unusual.

I heard lots of good things about Mora, but I simply dislike their design.

Miguel Nieto knives are available in AN-58 steel, but I've never heard about it.

I have mostly bad experiences buying online because in my country post office is terrible. Unless you buy from local sites, which have limited offer.
And stores are sadly very limited or very expensive. There is a store offering mostly knives like Boker, Fallkniven and Zero tolerance. They offer lots of brands but very few models oc each, for such high prices it's eye watering. Despite that, makority of people is buying there.
Another store is full of zombie knives, Mil Tech, MFH, and stuff like that. And that's the place where teenagers and gamers usually go.
And then there is third place that obviously has contract with Cold Steel so they have their entire line-up, and pricing is on point.

Luckily there are local websites and webshops which use their other delivery services, so I don't have to deal with our country's post office and prices are fair. Only problems being availability on stock, and me actually being at home which is rare.

Manly Patriot in D2 really caught my eye tho, and I'll wait to see if it reappears on stock, and I'll see my payment and delivery options.

Otherwise I'll most likley just end up going to Cold Steel again.

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, so I really hope I'm posting this on a right thread.

So, I'm planning to buy 2 more knives. One smaller knife for EDC and other one as back-up for my current all around knife (in case I lose it or something).

Currently I have Cold Steel Recon Tanto in SK-5 for a while now and it's great at doing tasks I use it for. So far mainly for cutting bush, cane, prying and sometimes to punch holes and cut trough plastic, I even used it while working at construction site.

I'm considering another Recon Tanto in SK-5 as a backup to this one, since it's serving me great so far, and considering the price (65 Euros) I think it's hard to beat, but at other hand, I wouldn't mind some diversity if anyone has idea of something as good or better in that price range.

Second knife I need is something for EDC, since Recon Tanto is fairly large knife, not really my first option to carry around the city.
My decision for EDC is a fixed blade, since every assisted opening knife is illegal to carry in my country, and if you're in situation to need your knife fast - fixed blade will be out faster than a folder. Yes, I am aware that folders are easier to conceal, but I am willing to compromise a little for a more reliable option.

Sorry for long post, I'd like to hear your suggestions and experiences, thank you in advance :)
Perhaps for your second knife, consider an ESEE Izula or a Becker Necker?

Perhaps for your second knife, consider an ESEE Izula or a Becker Necker?
I really like the ESEE, but, it costs bit more than what I'm willing to spend for a knife now. I'll wait to see if there'll be a good Black Friday deal.
Availability is big issue for me, since most of knives I can only order online.

Black friday will hopefully have some good deals.

I really like the ESEE, but, it costs bit more than what I'm willing to spend for a knife now. I'll wait to see if there'll be a good Black Friday deal.
Availability is big issue for me, since most of knives I can only order online.

Black friday will hopefully have some good deals.

The BK14 with zytel handles is in my opinion better than the izula. It has the same great handle, but a longer blade with a more usable horizontal edge, before the belly curves upwards.

Turn on English subtitles and watch what this little pocket survival blade can do!

Here are a few fixed blades I like for pocket carry.

The Baryonyx Grimalkin comes with a thin, flat sheath that works best in a back pocket.

I made a crude but effective pocket sheath for my Mini Skrama, and put a bit of bicycle tube on the handle. Nice in a front pocket, perfect in the narrow leg pocket found on carpenter jeans.
Both under $50.
2F410F3C-4275-4CB5-BE50-3894D7CD8F8C.jpeg

This laminated Mora Classic is so slim it disappears. About as sharp a knife as you will ever carry.

The little Anza on the left has served me well for years, riding nicely in a pocket when it’s not in a tank bag.The crossdraw sheath I got with the other Anza isn’t so good in a pocket. The standard sheath it comes with would fit a lot better. This knife was something like $38 with the standard sheath.

The Anza catalog has all kinds of other designs suitable for pocket carry. Handles in stag, wood or micarta. If you contact the owner, he can make your knife just aboit any way you want it.

You won’t find any of these knives in a brick-and-mortar store as far as I know.

C48E95F4-6D25-4A30-8914-BD7610D61B98.jpeg

The BK14 with zytel handles is in my opinion better than the izula. It has the same great handle, but a longer blade with a more usable horizontal edge, before the belly curves upwards.

Turn on English subtitles and watch what this little pocket survival blade can do!

Yeah, I agree, but unfortunatley availability is biggest issue for me here :(

I'm getting increasingly frustrated, all knives I'd like to buy are either not available, or stocked out...

Yeah, I agree, but unfortunatley availability is biggest issue for me here :(

I'm getting increasingly frustrated, all knives I'd like to buy are either not available, or stocked out...

Can you buy from Amazon.com, .CA or other online sites??

I don’t own one yet, but the White River Backpacker would be a good option. It’s a smaller, stainless(S35VN) option. I have a larger White River Boss and it’s a fantastic fixed blade, so much so that the Backpacker landed on my list to buy.

The Bradford Guardian in your choice of size is another good option.

One of my smaller fixed blades that I seem to grab a lot is my Tops Mini Scandi Knife(MSK). It is better suited to the woods than EDC, but it’s a great knife. My only complaint is that it’s set up strictly for Neck Carry. I mostly just toss it into my pocket, though.
jr21IIF.jpg

Can you buy from Amazon.com, .CA or other online sites??
Last 2 packages I ordered I never received. 2 in a row. It is 50/50 chance with my country's shitty post office. Packages either get "lost" or they are few months late. Plus, there is a chance of buying a knock-off.

Not only that situation described in link below is true, but it's even worse right now.
Unless I'm ordering from legit local webshop that uses their own delivery partner - it's better not to order anything at all.
Ebay packages either "gone" or "delivered" and yet I didn't pick them up or ever recieve them, or just late for several months.
And then same happened after Amazon became available in my country.

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/...plan-a-month-in-advance-and-hope-for-the-best

Back