Which looks better PE or SE ?

Im a plain edge kinda guy , just cause i like the look. I think its a cleaner look. My first bm690 was serated and i thought it was sooo cool that it was half and half, but since then i dont really see a point to having a serated knife. Lets her your opinion.

I like the "clean" look of a plain edge, as well, but serrations can really be utilitarian. Try cutting 3/4" seasoned bamboo with a 3" non-serrated blade! With my little CS El Lobo, it was a breaze.
Thats not to say serrations are good for every job, but they certainly excell at some tasks.

MPotter

Plainedge is vastly better for almost everything. Combo edges are just silly - both the serrations and the plainedge part are almost useless on most knives. When I need a serrated knife, I will use a fully serrated knife.

I agree that plainedge, especially polished, looks the best by far.

I agree, easthetically, plain edge wins out in my book. Easier to sharpen and it'll do all the tasks I ask of it.

I usually prefer to use a plainedge, but for just appearance the serrated-edge looks awesome.

Allen.

I prefer the plain edge for collectible knives, but I do like the combo edged knives as "users."

All of my knives, save one, are PE. It's been my experience that PE can handle 95% of normal cutting needs. I do like SE for certain chores but I have no use for CE whatsoever.

PE is my primary choice for EDC.
For looks, SE and CE are awesome...

I think PE is more friendly, I matches a Gents folder best, But SE looks nicer on a defensive, or hi-tech ones...

Just my opinion.

Andre Tiba - Brazil

Plain-edge looks sleeker, but a serrated-edge looks more "business-like". I can't imagine my Cold Steel Vaquero Grande with a plain-edge...

I pretty much only buy PE knives anymore. If you keep them sharp, there is really very little need for a serrated blade.

I'm a plain edge guy. Plain edge is BETTER for almost all cutting chores.

I can only think of one time in my life when I wanted a serrated edge, but I just ended up running my knife on the diamond stones to give it a toothy edge. It worked just as well. (Cutting vegitation sticking through my fence in the backyard. Really hard to cut with a polished plain edge.)
-Kevin

I do admit that although I've developed an aesthetic appreciation for plain edge on most knives simply because I prefer plain edges anyway, there are certain knives that do look better in SE. For instance I think most Spydercos actually look more like a piece of industrial art with a serrated edge. The way the repeated round arcs that are in the shape of the edge mimics the overall design of the knife, with its round hole and round corners.

Of course I get over that quickly when I consider how much of a PITA it is to sharpen a SE :p

I prefer PE for general use. A SE does have it's uses, but I have never run across a task where I really needed a SE knife. I have found that serrated knives can bind up in certain materials; a PE knife won't do this. If you're the type of person who does not like to sharpen your knives often, a SE may be a good choice since it will hold a useful edge longer.

A PE blade is generally more appealing to me visually. The addition of serrations to a knife usually make it more agressive looking or intimidating. Some people like combo edges, but I'm not too fond of them. I would instead carry one PE knife and one SE knife.

A part-serrated edge looks the coolest! :D Especially if it's a black-coated blade with half plain and half with shiney-reflective serration facets! :D

A part-serrated knife is best for the person who owns ONE knife that's an EDC that has to serve all uses.

Myself...
I've got so many knives; plain, part-serrated, full-serrated... Nothing beats a plain-edge knife with a freakishly-sharp edge; which I can do.

BUT, my first "tactical folder" was a part-serrated one and I carried it for years. There's still a soft spot on my heart for PS knives and I own several. There's definately a place for PS blades. I love them and use them a lot.

Now, I just pick and choose depending on my mood and what I'm doing that day. ;)

Hi. I think fully serrated blades look the best and combo blades have the most utility over all. However I am slowly being converted to plain edge knifes. The pain of sharpening a serrated edge and the joy of a polished edge... what else can I say?

Lot of the people with combo or se use them like saws, they have that 'bite' to them. SE also keeps sharp edges if you don't take care of your knife. For the smart knife owner plain edge is better looking (I do love the nasty look of a vaquero though) and just as useful.

Back