Which Small Sebenza or Inkosi?

I have a few Large Sebenzas but am now considering a Small Sebenza or Inkosi for EDC. It will probably be an Insingo, with or without Micarta. All enabling thoughts are thoroughly appreciated!

John

I've got several smalls. I've had a small Inkosi in hand and felt it was too small for my liking. But, I've read that there's a lot of love for the small Inkosi. Point being, it comes down to personal preference. A small 21 Insigno would be my choice.

IMO the small sebenza is the perfect EDC. I have a small insingo with micarta inlays and it is just perfect for all EDC tasks

However I was interested in testing the small Inkosi and I have ordered one one year ago.
When I got it I have been very disappointed . It was just too small and i didn’t get the point of this design.
The lanyard is making the grip unpleasant, the grooves on the handle were not perfect for my medium size hand, the blade is too thick for such a short blade length...
It was not making sense to me, but I decided to give this knife some time before taking the decision to sell it.... it was a great decision

I have removed the lanyard and it completely changed my grip.
I feel completely confortable with it now. The action of the Inkosi is way smoother that the 21 without any breaking period required
The grind is good and it is a good slicer for a thick blade.
The blade length is good for any office EDC tasks and it is so compact that it carries very well.

Previously the small insingo and the spyderco Delica have been my rotation during the week, and the Inkosi bumped them out of my pocket
I still enjoy the small insingo for being a better all around EDC but the classic small Inkosi is just good for what I need a knife for during office time

when I am not at the office I prefer to have a longer blade at hand so I usually don’t pack the small Inkosi during week-end or holidays

Both?
I've got both a small Sebenza 21 and a small Inkosi, both with Insingo blades. I started with the 21 and find it's a great overall knife, but I like the slightly smaller size of the Inkosi for tossing in a pocket. I guess it depends on your EDC requirements. If I had to pick one I'd likely pick the Inkosi. I find it a bit more interesting, if nothing else, and tend to carry it over the 21.

The small Inkosi with micarta is a great EDC, especially when paired with the insingo blade. Lots of easy to access edge in a small package.

fullsizerender-1-jpg.817158

Good input -- sounds like a small Insingo would be great, whether it's a Sebenza or Inkosi.

Yes or No to the Micarta? Sounds like a trade-off between comfort and added thickness in the pocket ('bulk').

Good input -- sounds like a small Insingo would be great, whether it's a Sebenza or Inkosi.

Yes or No to the Micarta? Sounds like a trade-off between comfort and added thickness in the pocket ('bulk').
If you like the look and the higher price does not bother you, go for it. I see zero difference in the pocket ‘bulk’. There just is not enough difference to matter imo.

If you like the look and the higher price does not bother you, go for it. I see zero difference in the pocket ‘bulk’. There just is not enough difference to matter imo.

Exactly, don't forget J JohnM the inlays are recessed in the slabs and there is not a discernible difference between the plain and an inlay concerning the bulkiness of the knife.

The Micarta Small 21 is just enough knife for me for occasional carry where a larger knife may draw attention ... the Micarta adding just a bit to the grip ... I have slightly above average hands ... so depending on your hand size ... a Small Inkosi the finger grooves just didn't right like they do on the Large ... but again that's my personal preference ... and my 21s are just as smooth as any Inkosi I've handled.

Exactly, don't forget J JohnM the inlays are recessed in the slabs and there is not a discernible difference between the plain and an inlay concerning the bulkiness of the knife.

I see and feel a difference, it's part of what makes the small Inkosi with inlays more appealing (to me). It's subtle, but it is noticeable. A quick measurement says the scales on a small Inkosi with micarta are 0.489", without is 0.415". An inlay raises roughly 0.037" above the scale.

For my hand the size difference is such that the small 21 feels amazing, simply perfect in hand. The small Inkosi feels too small.

I have both, but its the small Inkosi that gets carried. Both knives do not fit everybody. I would order from a place that lets you return it if it does not fit your hand. Or better yet if there is a shop near you that sells them check them out for yourself first. Really, only you can tell what fits you or not.

I've owned 21 CRKs and the small inkosi insingo is probably my favorite. I think the insingo elevates the already-great inkosi as a great-sized useful EDC. Plus if you haven't had an inkosi yet, you should try it. Different experience from a sebenza.

For me the trade-off is between a *slightly* better grip and price, which hasn't been worth it for me (on either knife) unless I get one used at a good price. It's not worth $100 IMO. I also kind of like the look of plain titanium better but that is, of course, just my preference.

I think I've owned the small 21 five different times, the WC twice, an insingo, micarta double lug plain edge and micarta double lug serrated. I loved the micarta serrated but the small inkosi is the single knife that really has ruined me for all others. Really you can't go wrong but for me the inkosi is superior. It is extremely easy to disassemble and clean. The washer set up is maybe the strongest of any knife.....ever. The lock design is so simple its brilliant. If anyone had a complaint about the small 21 it is clip placement and the inkosi got it right. I'll never own a CRK without double lugs and it is standard on the inkosi. After owning 5 different versions of the inkosi I did finally decide that the drop point blade is my preference and the micarta inlays are the best handle configuration. Others mileage may vary. I've been carrying a small inkosi variant for over 2 years and I still love and revere every time I pull it out of my pocket to use. It's never let me down and it's tackled every chore I've ever thrown at it, hard and light use. The perfect small locking pocket knife IMO.

There is no incorrect decision here. I usually carry both daily: a 21 Insingo micarta with double lugs clipped in a pocket and a micarta Inkosi in a small belt sheath. Both are excellent and I can't choose between them (obviously). I generally prefer CRKs with micarta inlays and I like the Insingo blade on the 21s but something about it does not appeal to me on the Inkosi (solely based on appearance).

i.ashx

i.ashx

I have both and like having the option of either. I carry the Small Sebenza with the clip and the Inkosi loose in the pocket. It's a little hard to tell in pictures but the Small Inkosi feels noticeably smaller than the Small Sebenza.

In the smaller CRK (Seb & Inkosi) I actually prefer them with no inlays, which seems to be contrary to most people. I have smaller hands, but for me the I think a major factor is I have short fingers compared to my palm size, so I actually do not appreciate the added thickness of the inlays. However I love inlays on a Large Sebenza with the added handle length.

Back