Which Spydercos have flat ground blades?

kgriggs8

BANNED
I know about the Calypso but what others have the flat grind?

I have never owned a Spyderco knife before but people seem to agree that they give you the most band for the buck so I want to check one out.

I like Flat ground, thin blades with a tip that you can bear down on but still has enough point to be able to use as a point. I also like liner locks or frame locks. Why are all the Spyercos the old style lock back? It really seems like you are missing the boat on not making more lock options. I know you can close a Spyderco one handed but I don't like having to shift my grip if I don't need to.

Not sure what you mean by "bear down on"...

The Military and Paramilitary are two of my favorite Spydies. Full flat ground, and with liner and compression locks. Their points are somewhat fine, but that just makes 'em more useful. They're plenty strong for reasonable use.

Manix and Dragonfly are flat ground.

Also; D holder Toad, Lum Chinese Folder (liner lock on that one) Lil' Temperance, Yojimbo, and I think the up comming Kopa will be flat ground.

kgriggs8 said:
Why are all the Spyercos the old style lock back? It really seems like you are missing the boat on not making more lock options.
Spyderco really does not make any old style lock backs, the Spyderco front lock is an improvement on the lock back design. Plus, there are quite a few models, past and present, which use other locks. As for why there are not more liner locks, I'd guess there are a number of reasons. Many find the liner lock to be relatively weak. Some feel the way a liner lock retains the blade in the closed position increases the risk of accidental opening unacceptably. And finally, the liner lock is probably the most "handed" lock in general use, so unless a separate left hand version is made, it's not going to sell well to southpaws.

Back