Who is buying these old-timey knives that don't even lock?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Motega, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Motega

Motega Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2006
    I scrubbed the maker's mark, but I'm sure you know what I am talking about. I just got a whole catalog full of 100 slight variations of this exact same knife, or even worse the one that looks like a hooker's boot from 1805.
    Many of these are going for $50 or so, and not only is the steel mostly unmarked or 440, but they don't lock in most CASEs (no names, no names). If it were a once a year edition I would get it, but there are literally like 100-200 permutations of the same basic design.

Enlighten me as to why these are still popular.

Attached Files:

Peakbagger46 likes this.
  2. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Simplicity of design. They look nice. Old people. Young people. They don't scare non knife people. Legal where many knives are not. Fun. Take your pick of any and/or all of those reasons.

Caleb27, redsquid2, Quiet and 18 others like this.
  3. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    They cut great.
    They carry great.
    They are beautiful.
    They harken back to previous eras.
    They have a “soul”.
    They sharpen easy.
    They work for 99 percent of EDC needs.

redsquid2, urbantrapper, vba and 31 others like this.
  4. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Did you copy me? Where is the plagarism committee when you need them??

redsquid2, palonej and MolokaiRider like this.
  5. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Great minds and all that.

:)

redsquid2, unwisefool and marcinek like this.
  6. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    I buy, carry and use them to annoy people that don’t like them. And sometimes what the twins up above said.
    [​IMG]

7. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Seriously?

8. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    You mean there’s actually people who don’t buy old timey knives that don’t lock?

I went a good 25 years with a slip joint before my first lock back. But I had a few fixed blades when working on tougher things and when I didn’t want a folder. Old timey knives are my favorite!

9. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Here are some who are buying them who can enlighten you.

https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/traditional-folders-and-fixed-blades.773/

10. Workingsloth777

Workingsloth777 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Just put the thread down.... Walk away slowly and don't look back. By the way I love traditonals for the nostalgia mostly but they do function very well for many edc tasks.

11. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Traditional no locking knives are great but not all of them and since you made a clear insinuation of one brand I will comment on that brand. I personally don't care for Case knives their steel is run too soft and their price point doesn't really fit in line with the craftsmanship comparative to many less expensive alternatives.

Lesknife likes this.
  12. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Tell you what I can't understand people buying....Striders. Jeez, :rolleyes:

t.willy, vba, Sharp & Fiery and 8 others like this.
  13. K.O.D.

K.O.D. My head is on loose but my shoes are tight Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    They are nice, if not my thing. I have two by Case, both gifts. One from my dad in 1991 for my 12th birthday, one from my friend this year for my 40th. They are nice when a modern, one handed folder is not appropriate. I often carry my little one when I'm at other peoples houses for parties, holidays, especially if they are people who are afeard of everything. My sister has three little kids, and opening Christmas/Birthday presents the thin, small blade is great.

My two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    That I can definitely agree with.

15. superpog

superpog Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Chinese.

All locked knives are illegal in China.

16. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    There is an old saying:
    If you need a lock, you shouldn't be using a knife.

I use all types, but don't "depend" on a folder's lock to save my bacon/fingers. If I need a rigid knife, I use a fixed blade (Puukko).

Rich

17. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Well, knives that don't lock. Old-timey too. Just when you think you've heard it all. PT Barnum said.....................

redsquid2 and Lesknife like this.
  18. K.O.D.

K.O.D. My head is on loose but my shoes are tight Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Also, variety is the spice of life. To use, a slipjoint or traditional style folder is fine. But I have major adhd, and its nice to have something to fiddle with that is also useful. I could easily get by with my Vic Super Tinker for most cutting related things if I had to. It still goes with me everywhere. Kept in my diabetes supply/go everywhere bag in the picture above.

danbot likes this.
  19. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Tradion. And they do look nice. I have a few, but almost never carry them. I understand the love for the most part, but you're right about the lack of variation. I could never be thrilled with 17 different colored stag handles.

orangejoe35 likes this.
  20. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    The current GEC slip joint is the #86 Oil Field Jack- that looks similar to your "scrubbed" picture. Some of the interested folks are buying one of each variation and that means they are spending about $1000 on the assortment. I don't depend on locks, but on slip joints, I prefer half stops.