1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Who is the Chris Reeve of flippers?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ron Sabbagh, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    I've been away from the knife world for a few years. I am a big fan of CRK knives but I do love me some flippers. I own several customs but interested in who you recommend for a production/semi production/midtech flipper on par with CRK quality and customer service.

2. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Hinderer maybe. Not as refined, but damn nice, well made knives.

Edgeoflife likes this.
  3. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    CRK and RHK for me.

4. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Reate.

5. Fire Beard

Fire Beard

Sep 1, 2013
    Shirogorov

6. ErocSD

ErocSD Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Tagged for info

Night Rider likes this.
  7. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    Olamic. Build quality is awesome, customer service is great. They’re introducing the Rainmaker as a production piece now. It looks like my new favorite Olamic, if the standard pocket clip is universally pocket friendly.

8. CdnMitch

CdnMitch Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2019
    I must say I agree with this. Shiro gets my vote too.

9. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    My first answer was also Shirogorov.

I keep forgetting about Olamic. Somebody there has asubtle sense of humor.

Now, I also want to see what others think.

10. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    How is Shiro CS?

11. CdnMitch

CdnMitch Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2019
    I have heard that you just send your knife to Recon1 (I believe the only authorized Shiro dealer in the USA) and they take care of the shipping to Shiro etc. Recon1 has been great to deal with as far as purchasing my Shiros, I have never had an issue with any of mine.

12. 007Airman

007Airman

Dec 23, 2018
    No one makes a flipper that bad. LOL

13. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Kershaw of course :D :D
    I'm only partly kidding.
    The last two flippers I bought were Kershaws and they were VERY satisfying fit and finish wise.
    I suppose the hardness isn't 60 but then I'm not a fan of S35VN anyway.

Night Rider likes this.
  14. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Care to explain?

craytab likes this.
  15. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Wowbagger has a point. For their price, Kershaw makes some very good knives. Not every single one, maybe, but they pay attention to HT.

The quality gap between CRK and "everybody else" is closing, and maybe Kershaw won't try to compete, but some of the companies that have already been mentioned, are getting close.

Now, they're not made here in the States like CRK, so if that's important, then Tim and company are still the way to go.

16. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    007Airman said:
    No one makes a flipper that bad. LOL

007Airman is a newbie...obviously. We hope he doesn't continue to demonstrate his ignorance here.

17. 007Airman

007Airman

Dec 23, 2018
    Owned several crk and never been a fan. Over hyped. Even after selling many I decided to try one again, I picked up a small inkosi insingo and let it go quickly after I found the thumb relief to be silly small for even average thumbs. CRK are the dress watch of the knife industry, sure well made and can do the job but the ergonomics just aren't very good for more than just show.
    I know a lot here love crk and they have that right, I just don't.
    As for the OP I'd say ZT flippers are the equal in fit and finish to crk.

18. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Tread carefully around the CRK loyalists, friend!

Over the Internet, it's hard to tell just how serious a person is being, when they say something. I have never owned a Reeve, but I respect them because if the reputation they have, here.

19. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I'm a big fan of ZT, but I don't think they have the same tolerances as CRK.

But your statement that no one makes a flipper that bad is false based on your explanation. They are not bad, the designs are just not your preference. You can't argue with the numerous awards that CRK has received over the years.

20. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I've had quite a few flippers, including RHK, WE, Brous Blades, Kershaw, ZT, CKF, Olamic, Microtech, and no doubt more I'm forgetting. Only Shirogorov reminds me of CRK out of all the others.