Who makes the best Sissipuukko M95?

Are all Sissipuuko M95 knives the same? I'm looking to purchase one and I want the best one. I'm seeing quite a few different prices, but the images and descriptions all seem the same. Some are twice as much, but I can't tell if its just a vendor charging a ridiculous amount or the same knife.

Humm knida wierd, it looks like there are different versions of it, with 4.25 or 5mm thick, différent weights and lenghts.
The "cheap" ones are in 80crV2, and the "expensive" ones in carbon steel, the same steel i guess.

There is maybe something that i'm missing but i think it's pretty much the same knife both ways.

The first ones were made with a medium carbon steel, the latest models are made from 80CrV2, and the blades are about 2mm wider (not thicker) than the original models, making for better blade geometry. The latest versions are also a little harder on the HRC scale about 59, making for better edge retention. John

All currently produced Sissipuukkos are made by Lauri in Kauhava, Finland. The M95 has a 155 mm blade, the M07 a 125 mm blade. The difference in price can come from the sheath options as well, but shouldn't be that big.

You might check the Verusteleka site in Finland. They have a variety of that type. I don't think any are the stacked Birch.

The word ”sissipuukko” doesn’t really mean anything. It’s like saying ”marine knife”. I believe J.P. Peltonen developed their modernized puukko for military but supposedly the term sissipuukko is not protected. Marttiini makes their sissipuukko and I think Varusteleka (terävä) as well. Basically sissipuukko could be just puukko with rubber grip and coated blade.

Only the blades for the Sissipuukko (M95 & M07) are made by Lauri, the rest of the puukkos are made from various contractors, and final assembly and sharpening are done by J-P Peltonen and Upi Antila in Fiskars. The original M95 had a carbon steel blade with about .60% carbon, the current 80CrV2 have about .75% carbon or a 25% increase in carbon. The new blades have an HRC of about 59, or about 1 to 1.5 harder than the original M95. Custom knife makers Wayne Goddard and Bill Harsey have told me that given everything is the same, blade shape and geometry, a knife (or puukko) that is HRC 59 will have about a 10% better edge retention than the same blade at HRC 58. John

I think the main difference in price is whether you try to get one from a store in North America (such as Kellam) or directly from a store in Finland. Lamnia in Finland seems to have the most decent prices, along with Varusteleka (if they are ever back in stock there). The latter are known to be fast and cheap where shipping is concerned - one rate no matter the size and weight, so add some other fun stuff, like socks or chocolate.
There are indeed other makers of 'sissipuukko' knives, particularly Marttiini. If my info is correct the word stands for 'guerilla knife' or 'ranger knife'. All referring to Finnish soldiers trained to fight as guerilla infantry in the arctic forests. Varusteleka does not call the Terava knives 'sissipuukkos' but 'Jääkkäripuukkos' or 'Jeager knives'.
The newer Peltonen knives are indeed not quite the same as the old ones. Better steel (80CrV2), possibly a better blade maker (Lauri, known for very good puukko blades), thinner spine (4 mm instead of 5), high flat grind instead of a full flat. The sheaths are still the same with the patented rubber wheel retention system. The basic blade stock from which Lauri makes the blades seems to be the same as that of the Varusteleka Terava knives. The shape and grind are very different however. Take the whole of both ranges and you have 4 sizes of more or less similar black rubber-handled, militaryis puukkos to choose from, take your pick.
I think you can't go wrong with either the Peltonen or the Terava (disclosure: I have both so I can compare), but getting them from Finland direct may be a lot cheaper (I don't know what happens with import duties etc. into the US, a North American shop will already have taken care of that but the markup seems to be substantial).
Note that the M95 can be had with either a leather or hard plastic sheath, the latter also being usable for lefties. The M07 is only made with a leather one, although Lamnia has a 3rd-party Kydex version for it as well (but as you can't order the knives without any sheath, you'd have to buy the M07 with the leather sheath and then add the Kydex).
Hope this helps, even if a bit late. ;-)

The version prior to the current sabre grind one, forged and with a flat grind and slightly thinner blade is my all time favourite woods knife. Light weight, great plastic sheath, good edge retention, comfortable grip and usefull 6" blade with good geometry. Hard to find now though.

The version prior to the current sabre grind one, forged and with a flat grind and slightly thinner blade is my all time favourite woods knife. Light weight, great plastic sheath, good edge retention, comfortable grip and usefull 6" blade with good geometry. Hard to find now though.
You mean a slightly *narrower* blade? The old stock was 5 mm thick at the spine while the new version is 4 mm, so the old one was thicker... but with a full flat profile.

I also thought the old models had a differential heat tread (edge to spine).

I also thought the old models had a differential heat treat (edge to spine).
Apparently that is true. Which is probably the reason they did not have a sharp spine to be used for scraping - the steel there was too soft. The new version still has no sharp spine although the steel should be hard enough for that.
There is still some confusion about the grinds and the blade thickness, as well as where they are made, because some sellers simply have not updated the descriptive texts on their websites since before the move by Peltonen to Lauri for the blades and with that, to 80CrV2 steel and a thinner blade stock (4 mm). Whatever a seller says on their site, unless they are selling off old stock (unlikely given the high demand for these knives) you will likely get the newer version with the 4 mm thick 80CrV2 blade.

Back