1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who makes the best Sissipuukko M95?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by rokuez, Jun 14, 2018.

1. rokuez

rokuez

Sep 26, 2005
    Are all Sissipuuko M95 knives the same? I'm looking to purchase one and I want the best one. I'm seeing quite a few different prices, but the images and descriptions all seem the same. Some are twice as much, but I can't tell if its just a vendor charging a ridiculous amount or the same knife.

2. Juicytarget

Juicytarget

Mar 4, 2018
    Humm knida wierd, it looks like there are different versions of it, with 4.25 or 5mm thick, différent weights and lenghts.
    The "cheap" ones are in 80crV2, and the "expensive" ones in carbon steel, the same steel i guess.

There is maybe something that i'm missing but i think it's pretty much the same knife both ways.

3. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    The first ones were made with a medium carbon steel, the latest models are made from 80CrV2, and the blades are about 2mm wider (not thicker) than the original models, making for better blade geometry. The latest versions are also a little harder on the HRC scale about 59, making for better edge retention. John

4. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
  5. Frederick89

Frederick89

Dec 30, 2009
    All currently produced Sissipuukkos are made by Lauri in Kauhava, Finland. The M95 has a 155 mm blade, the M07 a 125 mm blade. The difference in price can come from the sheath options as well, but shouldn't be that big.

6. rokuez

rokuez

Sep 26, 2005
    GIRLYmann does the button on the m62 get in the way of the finger when holding it? i do like the m62 a lot

7. BBuser

BBuser Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2016
    You might check the Verusteleka site in Finland. They have a variety of that type. I don't think any are the stacked Birch.

8. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    The word ”sissipuukko” doesn’t really mean anything. It’s like saying ”marine knife”. I believe J.P. Peltonen developed their modernized puukko for military but supposedly the term sissipuukko is not protected. Marttiini makes their sissipuukko and I think Varusteleka (terävä) as well. Basically sissipuukko could be just puukko with rubber grip and coated blade.

9. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Only the blades for the Sissipuukko (M95 & M07) are made by Lauri, the rest of the puukkos are made from various contractors, and final assembly and sharpening are done by J-P Peltonen and Upi Antila in Fiskars. The original M95 had a carbon steel blade with about .60% carbon, the current 80CrV2 have about .75% carbon or a 25% increase in carbon. The new blades have an HRC of about 59, or about 1 to 1.5 harder than the original M95. Custom knife makers Wayne Goddard and Bill Harsey have told me that given everything is the same, blade shape and geometry, a knife (or puukko) that is HRC 59 will have about a 10% better edge retention than the same blade at HRC 58. John

rokuez likes this.