Who really "uses" their Sebenzas

I'm a proud owner of a large BG42 Sebenza which I carry but never really "use". I often also carry a smaller knife in my front right pocket, along with my Sebenza, when I really need to dig in and cut something tough. Who really uses their Sebenzas for daily cutting chores?

I guess I need to buy another just to keep one in pristine condition.

I use my small sebenza everyday for everything. Opening boxes, envelopes, whittling, anything I would use a knife to do.

It's a knife that begs to be used, because it is too superior a piece not to. Maybe if I had a gold coin or damascus Sebbie it would be different, but, as it is, mine will see plenty of usage.
smile.gif

Clay

------------------
Clay Fleischer
cdfleischer@yahoo.com

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue...

My Large Sebenza is one of the two knives I carry that I use; the other is my Spyderco Military. That's why I bought them, as users. I recently ordered a Marble's Trail Maker that will also be a user. I won't use them for say cutting rain gutters or something horrible like that, but I will use them for what knives are intended for.

I have other knives I carry for defense that don't cut anything, because they're being saved for the most dire circumstances. And I have other knives that are strictly collectors just for admiring and fondling.

------------------
LD
"Every Dog Has His Day"

When I first received my sebenza I carried it but used a second knife for cutting. But once I started using it I realized this knife was made to be used. It takes using the knife to realize how great it really is.

I have both large and small Sebenzas, but I carry and USE my Umfaan daily.
I tend to do all the things that Clay does.
I sure love these knives !!!
Bill

I really use mine, but exercise the same restraint that Lucky Dog mentions. It is a great knife with a strong, reassuring lock.

I suspect some may be inhibited in using it for two reasons. One, they could pay for it, but not really afford it. Two, it is so sharp, they do not want to dull it. Further, such an acute edge probably should not be abused, despite BG-42 being relatively tough.

If reason two is your only problem, get an Umfaan! Great knife, and one of the posts here has a picture of the amazingly atractive and appropriate 1999 design.

If reason one and two both apply, find another small, less expensive knife, to cary as a sharp backup. (I admit to not exactly following my own sage advice.) Regarding the small knife see also my post in
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002456.html

I know what you mean, <font color=#ff0000>Use a $300 knife?</font> But a lot of folk do, myself included. Alot of everyday chores also it is really great for skiving leather, so sharp.

G2

------------------
When a fellow says, "it ain't the money but the principle of the thing,"
it's the money.
F. McKinney Hubbard

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html

I carry and use my small sebenza everyday and have so since I purchased it. The first scratch was hard to handle but now I can't leave home without it. I have alot of fine expensive knives and guns and realized years ago life is too short to simply fondle them. The satisfaction of using a wonderfully designed and built knife and gun should be experienced first hand.

Sitting here slicing smokey cheddar cheese now. Finished opening the mail... Either my Sbeenza or Military is my "daily use" knife. Might change that with my Spyderco Starmate coming in...

Boxes, envelopes, other packages, cutting air and water hose lines, stripping wire in a pinch, cutting runners and flash from plastic parts while in the molding lab here at work, scoring acoustic ceiling tiles, removing errant threads, cleaning under my nails, removing hanging tags from stuff, other various and sundry things, including disemboweling mutants. I hate mutants.

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arm's reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

I have two Large BG-42 Sebenza's ... nope, don't use at all. Got them tucked away for my boys when they are much older. The reason I don't use them is not because I put them away for them or because of the cost of them, but they are too small for my liking. Originally they were bought, one to use and one for the collection, but after I got them and realized the size, decided not to use them and give them to my boys someday instead!

I must say though, they are very nicely made knives, wish they were bigger and heaftier is all! Price, should be more in the BM Pinnacle range because of it's size it is VERY similar. I don't regret paying the bigger bucks though for them, after all, I am also a collector of knives for enjoyment and someday, maybe, they will be worth more than I paid too and my boys will then benefit from that
smile.gif

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark W Douglas (edited 19 May 1999).]

I too, am the proud papa of a large Sebenza.

Don't use it as much as the Military, but it sees it's fair share. Lack of use is not based on anything other than what is in reach at the time.

------------------
God bless!

Romans 10:9-10

"Military" Fans Unite!!

Why else would you want to own the best utility folder around if you don't use it? Once you get over the first scuff on the handle, you can use it without worry
smile.gif

I own a small Sebenza, which I carry daily, along with a mini-GT in my watch pocket, and a Vallotton Chameleon. I carry three different sizes to handle all chores, but I use the Sebenza the most, as for me it is the perfect size, and it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin, even though I use it, I don't abuse it. It takes what I give it, and responds well. Best folder I have ever had.

Larry

Things I cut with my small Sebenza today;

canvas
rope
cotton cord
foam insulation tape
foam insulation sheeting
1/8" cork gasket materiel
1/8" natural gum gasket materiel
plastic sheeting
garden hose
neoprene electrical insulation
gel (sheets of colored plastic used in stage lighting)
paper
tape
cardboard

No mutants, though. We have a high tolerance for mutants in these parts, especially Aboriginal Mutants.

------------------
James

Put another notch in the user column
smile.gif
. My large BG42 'Benza is in regular rotational duty with my Spydie Military and EDI Genesis-I.

The first scratches I got on the titanium handle gave me cause for pause but I've gotten over it. Besides Reeve will always refinish the knife should it become too trashed up.
-=[Bob]=-

Well, my large Sebenza has been a normal rotational carry for quite awhile now, and it's been used regularly (mail, boxes, branches, etc.), and some would say abused now and again.

For those who may doubt, the lock is ROCK solid, and the edge isn't fragile at all.

Lock and edge testament:
As some of you may remember (and got a chuckle out of), around Christmastime, rather than going to fetch the saw to cut off the bottom 1" or so of the tree, I figured I'd ventilate the bottom of the tree trunk with a few well-placed holes...from the Sebenza. As it turns out, the first two full-strength stabs were about 1" deep into the tree, no problem. Lock 100% secure. Then arose an interesting "occurrence." The netting that was on the tree then slipped a little, just as the right hand was plunging earthward with the knife. Did I mention I was holding the netting-encased trunk with my left hand? Anyhow, you can probably see where this was going, but for those lacking the vision, I managed to impale my left hand (dare I say stab?) right between the thumb and forefinger. And the lock held 100%. And the edge was unscathed. My hand... well, that's another story. It went in about 1.25" and almost came out the palm-side. No pain at all. Just made a different sound as it went in. "thunk, thunk, squish...hmmmm... honeeeeeeyyyy- get the keys."

Cost: 1) 11 external, 2 internal stitches (to tack down the muscle, which was sticking up over 1"); 2) 5 hours in the ER; 3) 2 weeks bandaged and lots of worry about nerve damage (none, no ligaments, nada- missed all the "good" stuff).

Benefits: 1)I didn't have to put up the tree ;-) ; 2)I now KNOW that the Sebenza lock is about as strong as a folder can get; 3) tree sap isn't usually a good wound sealer; and 4) use a saw :)

As an aside, the Sebenza has now been placed on short hours (as has everything else (except the mini-Dyad in left pocket and miniUDT, MUDT or WWPocket Pro in watch pocket) as I evaluate my recently arrived Darrel Ralph Apogee. Look for a review in the coming days. And, no, it DOES NOT involve flesh impaling (well not mine!). :)

------------------
--
Regards,
Tim
Nor'east Knives

There are two rules for ultimate success in life.
Never tell everything you know.

Defintely a user here, I've had my small sebenza a month and have had to sharpen it twice already. I use it constantly at work (telecom work) cutting alot of 24 guage wire, wire ties,opening boxes, stripping 12 guage A/C wire. I even used it by holding the blade straight up and scraped paint off of some equipment at work. I also shave alot of hair and cut alot of paper testing how the edge is holding up. I would never spend 3 bills on a knife and never use it. My dad always said "better to wear it out than let it rust out" ,so I guess that rubbed off on me.

OK, I give. Last night I actually USED my large Sebenza when putting up my kids redwood swingset. It worked great for cutting open boxes and scoring holes for drilling. There is certainly a much higher level of confidence in the lock over many other knives I have (my mini-AFCK comes to mind). I think I'll still buy a small Sebenza for office use. While the "large" is really not that big, the small version may blend into the office environment a little better. Plus it gives me yet another excuse to buy a new knife.... like I really need an excuse.

Tom S, yes, get the small Sebenza. And the 1999 design Umfaan...then a Decorated model...then another...

Join us...come to the dark side...just hide the bills from your wife
wink.gif

------------------
James

Back