Why buy a Sebenza?

I've been starting to lean toward a Sebenza because of all the positive things written by pro's. Still, I'd like to hear from you, the owners, why I should buy a Sebenza.

I am almost tempted to quote the Hoarley Davidson tee-shirt that says, " If I had to explain it to you ... you wouldn't understand."

Seriously though, it is like a Rolex in that it is a rugged, well made piece of machinery that will elegantly do whatever is asked of it, within its design intent. Few products in today's marketplace match the material selection, design and craftsmanship of Chriis Reeve knives, particularly the Sebenza.

What else would you have with all of the time of such durable quality and value - probably nothing.

Good post, Nimrod.

Another thing: buy one and see for yourself. If it doesn't work out, there is a good market here on BladeForums where you could sell it to recoupe close to what you paid for it.

Harry

Good posts by both Nimrod and Kozak.
I would like to add that once you buy one (ha), very little else measures up.

Forget the rest and buy the best,
Try one, you will like it,
and a hundred other trite sayings, that fortunately are true in this case.
biggrin.gif

Thom

Simplicity, life time guarante, great service.

------------------
RICK - Left Handers Unite

Because they refuse to just give me one.....
biggrin.gif

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

G2 LeatherWorks

Because if you buy one you won't be sorry. Best knife around custom or production. It's hard to decribe, but once you hold and use a Sebenza, you will think about knives in a hole new light. Compared to a Seb, everything else seems like junk (well maybe that's going a little too far). Also you will have the pleasure of dealing with Bridget, she handles alot of the bookkeeping and telephone calls and she is a real sweetheart. Along with a great knife you will get great customer service. Can't beat that combo. I'm waiting for my small left hand wood inlay Seb. Can't wait!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Scott Dog (edited 05-03-2000).]

I own both a large and small Sebenza and I agree with all that's been said. Owning them has "made me see knives in a whole new light". I also see most other knives now as junk. I've owned all the factory knives and was never happy. Now I know why. I have been thinking about buying a "custom" knife and did a search recently in the Custom Knife Forum for Pat Crawford. This was also a thread there. I recommend anybody read it. It was "Why buy a Sebenza when Customs only cost $50 more"? Many reasons why the Sebenza is in the "buy" category and most others are in the "sell" category. I may be prejudiced and don't own any other custom knives but at this point I don't feel I will be satisfied with any "lesser" lock mechanisms. When (not if) I buy another knife it will be a fixed blade or a New Classic Sebenza! Hope this helps. Leo

------------------
"When we sacrifice liberty for security, we get neither". Benjamin Franklin

That's the kind of posts I was looking for. After reading the info at the CR website, I'm aware of all of the technical reasons to buy a Sebenza: superior steel, great blade grind, strong lock, excellent fit and finish, warranty and service, etc., etc. I just wanted to hear why YOU bought yours. Thanks for the responses.

Dan,

I have read ALL of the CRK posts (more then once) and I can't explain it.

I didn't like them the first time I handled one; it was a right handed one and I am left handed.

After reading all the posts I decided to buy one any how.

I now have 2 and 2 on order.

I also know what my fifth one will be.

When they lock up, they sound like a vault locking.

I hate to recomend them to people because they are addicting.
smile.gif

------------------
RICK - Left Handers Unite

To put it bluntly, this week I visited my first big time knife shop. This shop had approx. a dozen models by each of 3 custom makers considered to be big guns in the tactical folder market. While many were certainly fancier and better looking than the Sebbie, none equaled the fit and function of the Sebenza. None. Some of these displayed excessive blade play and gaps between the liners and scales to the point that if they were delivered to me I would send them back. These knives were also priced from $100-$350 dollars more. Both Sebenzas in stock were identical to mine, in other words, flawless. Hope this helps.

------------------
It's only a mistake if you fail to learn from it!

What they said.
smile.gif

Seriously, I've made two knife purchases in the last month that have really turned my head. One is a small sebenza, the other is a Busse mean street. Once I got over the flick it fast syndrome, I really began to appreciate the sebenza for its enduring quality and kick butt blade geometry. As for the Busse mean street, I get depressed when I can't wear it to work. But then I still have the sebbie in my pocket...
smile.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

The low, hoarse purr of the whirling stone—the light-press’d blade,
Diffusing, dropping, sideways-darting, in tiny showers of gold,
Sparkles from the wheel.

Walt Whitman

In two words: elegant simplicity.

A sebenza reminds me of a quality revolver, in that, there are fancier knives out there, but few, at any price, that is any more efficient.

When you see one, you can tell the precise tolerances to which they are made.

When you hold one, you can tell that this is a knife that is meant to be used.

When you use one, you can tell that the blade geometry is ne plus ultra. This is what all hollow-ground blades should be!

Finally, when you finally get around to resharpening one, you can tell that the steel was well chosen and well heat-treated.

Sorry to gush so much, but it is my favourite knife...

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Unlike other knives where you have to be lucky to select a good one from the pile, each and every Sebenza is a good one.

The fine craftsmanship input to the creation of a every Sebenza is consistent.

You don't have to be lucky to pick a good Sebenza because each and every Sebenza have the fine craftsmanship of a good knife.

2d_edge
My knives photos

I bought one because of the superior performance and very high quality. What else is there?

-Johnny

Let me pose a question.

How many lastinf things in life can you afford to have the very best of?

SEBENZA, affordable perfection.

The CR Sebenzas are absolutley the best folders made..
If you buy the best you will never be disappointed..

I could repeat what has already been said, but I think the strongest testimony is to read what ProEdge wrote. Murray is not only a knife dealer, but is an LEO with many years of extremely "tactical" experience. The man knows knives, uses them HARD, and only deals in the best. When he says that the Sebenza is the finest folder on the market, it's worth listening to.

Buying my large Sebby has to rank at or very near the top of my knife purchases I have made to date. This is one knife that holds up to the "Truth in advertising" maxum. My only real complaint is that when you have experienced a Sebenza for a while, you feel a real sense of loss if not wearing and using it. Then you wind up getting another and another....
smile.gif

------------------
Harry

Toujours l'audacite!

Why buy a Sebenza? Because it is simply the best folder made in the world! Tough, strong, and smart looking! Not the cheapest knife on the market, but quality is not comprimised for price. IMHO
biggrin.gif

------------------
Mike

Back