Why is my knife scratched (magnetic holder)?

A year or two ago, we bought an acacia wood covered magnetic knife bar. Knives that we've owned for 10+ years never had scratches on them until using the knife bar. I've read a few other posts on various forums about magnetic knife holders and how they can scratch knives unless the magnet bar is covered or that it's only cosmetic scratches on the back side of the knife. Even with the wood covering, they still seem to scratch.

Obviously, it must be dragging the knives on the wood, right? (We do our best not to slide it on the wood anyway....) And yet, this is the crux of my question: Our Shun damascus steel knife (of the premier line) has more scratches on the side of the blade that has never once touched the magnet. How is this possible??

1zl6d5w.jpg

This once beautiful knife looks rather horrible. It is our favorite and most often used. All the knives have these angled scratches only on the areas that are in contact with the wood knife holder, but most of them are blemish free on the side not touching the holder. We have Whustof knives that only have a few very small scratches, and we have other sandwiched damascus steel Shun knives that have most of the scratches on the backside, but they are more visible. The particular knife in the picture is even more heavily scratched on the side that does not contact the wood & magnet. (You can see one or two scratches on the other Shun knife on the left also on the non-contact side).

I'm thoroughly stumped so I appreciate the feedback on this one! I don't want to ruin my knives.

Only thing I can think of is very fine particles of steel from the knives getting stuck to the bar or the knives themselves due to magnetism. The one scratched on the side that doesn't touch the bar is really strange.

I'd say the scratches on the wrong side are from cutting something that caused them. That cannot happen otherwise

Maybe happened if they were sharpened.

"Our Shun damascus steel knife (of the premier line) has more scratches on the side of the blade that has never once touched the magnet. How is this possible??"

I do not think that is possible. The cause must lie somewhere else. Is the knife ever stored or placed anywhere else? Even temporarily? How is the knife washed? By hand? Is it wiped dry after washing with a designated cloth?
As for scratches on the side facing the magnet obviously the wood needs to be examined for any possible, albeit unlikely, metal (like a screw or nail tip) protruding.
The scratches in the photo appear to be basically uniform in size, depth and direction. I think this suggests a mechanical cause, such as a dishwasher.

Back