1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? why the two hollows in one handle . . .

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by expidia1, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. expidia1

expidia1 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Just as a point of curiosity in my getting to know the construction of my Sebenza 21's . . .
    Both my small and large have the same hollows.
    And I did search, but nothing jumped out at me.

Anyone know why they put in the two hollows on the frame lock side of the handle?
    I'm guessing to shave a little weight off the titanium, but then why not both handles?
    or
    are they just a result of how the machines hold the handle in place during the manufacturing process
    or
    What say you?

IMG_6194.jpg

2. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    That looks like a hinge to me.

3. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Seriously?
    Think about the lock bar function. How would you go about making it do what it needs to do without requiring superhuman thumb strength?

palonej, Hackenslash and expidia1 like this.
  4. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Looks defective. Better send it back pronto!

5. expidia1

Feb 18, 2018
    Seriously?
    Makes sense now that you explained why. I just checked my Rike frame lock and my ZT and they have cut outs too just in different positions! Thanks for that reply

6. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    It's where you keep the toothpick and tweezers.

Those "hollows" are known as lock bar relief. They allow a pivot point for the lock bar to bend and drop in behind the blade to afford lockup.

Many frame locks have the relief on the outside of the lock bar but Chris keeps his on the inside to avoid light reflection while on dark ops.

Some CRK users sand down the lock bar relief for better action.

Thanks for asking.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  7. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Your killing me smalls!

OLd_gUY, BBW, Hackenslash and 2 others like this.
  8. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Solid explanation, too bad he's got you on ignore.

T. Erdelyi likes this.
  9. expidia1

Feb 18, 2018
    He’s not on ignore. I only move the D*cks to ignore!

10. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    That would be about half the members that post here.

palonej, OLd_gUY, Lone_Wolfe and 2 others like this.
  11. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    Lol,yup!

12. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    Are you actually a child or are you that ignorant? I'm actually a pretty decent guy and contribute alot around here so I am dead serious.

I tend to give a little bit too much slack so please, do tell.

Mo2 likes this.
  13. expidia1

Feb 18, 2018
    what are you reading into what I said???
    did you not read the posts above and just jumped in.
    He said I have the other poster in ignore. and I said I did not have him on ignore and that I only moved the D*cks that gave me a hard time.
    which makes this place a lot nicer and friendlier.

Go up and read the thread before you get so testy or just put me on ignore :rolleyes:

14. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013

Ok, stock broker. Why don't you learn what a knife is actually used for and how they function.. maybe start with a slip joint and work your way up. Or attempt to troll a different hobby.

Go ahead and be a smart @$$ about something you have a clue about.

I have many years without an ignore. It will continue.

Mo2 and Blues Bender like this.
  15. expidia1

Feb 18, 2018
    Oh Bella Bella . . . please come back. Don't leave me alone with all these ruffians . . . whatever I did to tick you off please accept this as a small token . . .

If you don't take me back Ill understand. But know this . . . as you saif "you've bben around here a long time".

But your likes are only averaging 12% of your posts. I'm averaging 23%.
    That's because I'm here to learn and pass on what I've learned to HELP other new members. I'm not here to attack other members or try to close down their threads simply because they feel a questions of mine is dumb.

Too bad most of the oldtimers here can't remember what it was like to be new to this knife hobby.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  16. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Let's keep the smart assed answers and comments where they belong.
    If you don't like the topic, move on. If the person is the focus of your angst, move on.

17. expidia1

Feb 18, 2018
    Umm, it was my topic. I started the topic. Why would I not like the topic?
    Every time I start a thread there are those that jump in just to get my threads closed.
    Close this thread. My question was answered on the first post.

18. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Let me explain something about "likes" since you've stepped into it couple of times already. "Likes" only started recently when Blade Forums migrated to a new software. I can't remember when, a year or so...probably less. Prior to that migration, "likes" weren't a supported feature.

Someone like Bella probably made 2500-3000 posts under the old format where "likes" didn't exist. Bella's 12% "like-rate" since the migration is significantly higher for eligible posts.

All things considered, 23% likes is a rather low rate for someone posting entirely under the new format.

I'm glad you're excited about your new hobby and want to learn. I hope you don't continue to alienate yourself from a growing number of members here. You gotta ask yourself if the 77% rate without "likes" could really be "unlikes" if supported by the software?

Anyway, good luck.

OLd_gUY and Sergeua like this.
  19. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Well, that went South quickly.

Anyway........I've always wondered why other manufacturers, like Hinderer & ZT for instance, don't put their cutouts on the inside. When they're behind the clip, they tend to hang up when taking them out of your pocket sometimes.

expidia1 likes this.
  20. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Back on subject-
    Most framelocks seem to have a cutout relief of some sort. Some are to the inside some to the outside. I do have one(a Laconico) without a cutout relief, but that is my only framelock without one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.