Winkler Folding knives Flaw

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Blade_Runner85, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Blade_Runner85

Blade_Runner85

Dec 17, 2018
    Anyone had any long term use with a Daniel Winkler folder? Specifically an F3? Let me say I really like Winkler knives. After owning several of his fixed blades I decided to pony up the 450 bucks for an F3 folder. The first folder I received had major issues with the liner. Anytime the blade was deployed the liner would jam up on the opposite side of the handle. Along with the problem with the liner the blade grind was uneven and the pocket clip was so tight it was unusable. Emailed the folks at Winkler Knives and they promptly returned my email saying they were aware of the problem with the F3 folders and they would be happy to replace or repair the knife. Almost a month later I finally received my replacement. So far everything with the knife seems great (with the exception of a slightly off center blade when folded). The liner and lock up are great and the issues with the uneven blade grind and pocket clip are gone. I really do like the knife; great looks and blade shape, balanced, ergonomic, well finished, really a great knife (although maybe not 450 bucks great). Anyways I noticed one huge design flaw (in my opinion) with the knife....there is no stop bar behind the blade! The ONLY thing keeping the blade in place is the liner. Its almost like Spyderco's compression lock in that there is a cut out on the back of the blade that the liner slides into when the blade is deployed, keeping the blade from moving up vertically towards the spine. However, even the spyderco has a stop bar that will prevent any upwards movement of the blade. So far there is no blade play, vertical or horizontal, however given that the liner is titanium I am concerned that it will inevitably develop blade play, especially up and down play. Also, it does not exactly inspire a great deal of confidence in the knife with any type of hard use. So, with all that said I was wondering if anyone has any long term use of this knife or perhaps anyone who may share the same concerns as myself?

Tommy-Chi likes this.
  2. Dangerously

Dangerously

Jan 8, 2013
    I’ve never seen one of these knives, just had to paragraph your post to read it properly.

3. Tommy-Chi

Tommy-Chi

May 25, 2017
    I own approx $1500 in Winkler products. I do not own the folder and was not going to buy it.

I literally had a nightmare where I dreampt that I put their knives to extreem use in a heavily forested and soaking wet environment and the 80CrV2 knives all heavily corroded. :D I'm like - are you serious! I'm dreaming of rusty knives now.... and I remember it was 80CrV2 knives that were so corroded they were flaking!

OK, now that is strange. Has anyone else had an actual dream abt their knives?

W. Anderson likes this.
  4. Crimson Cloud

Crimson Cloud

Nov 9, 2018
    I share your concerns. My F3 has blade play side to side that I can't seem to eliminate through tightening without having the action so tight it is very hard to flip. I have had it apart to look at it, and through that process I realized that this is a very basic knife, and not nearly what I expected from the purchase of a Winkler. They have currently removed them from their website, ostensibly so they can work out their quality and efficiency of production issues. I understand that they are primarily a manufacturer of fixed blades and tools, not of folding knives. Still, I was all in this month with the money I had to spend for an F3, and an F1 that I found on the forums, and after putting out seven hundred dollars for two knives with the Winkler name on them, I do not believe that either of them were worth the money. I have a lot of respect for Daniel Winkler and love the fixed blade that I own from Winkler Knives. Unfortunately, I don't think folding knives are their best product, by a ways.
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/winkler-wk-f3-folding-knife.1563151/#post-17949939

5. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip. Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    The Dozier Arrow also uses a liner lock like that. Where the liner prevents rotation in both directions rather than using a stop pin. They've been known to have lockup issues as well.

6. bobobama

bobobama

Jan 15, 2017
    Funny you ask. Not about my knives, but just last night I dreamed about a local knife dealer I could swear I've been to many times before. I vividly remember they were located on the second floor in one of those retail buildings where each shop is entered from an exterior walkway. Great dream, and when I woke up I spent about 15 minutes trying to remember where this dealer was located. Then I realized it never actually existed, and it really was just a dream.

Oh well, I least I had a good time and it didn't cost me a single dime.

W. Anderson and Tommy-Chi like this.
  7. 81911

Oct 23, 2015
    You are missing the pin that runs through the blade. It runs through milled out channels in the liner. There are three points of contact. Not just one.

8. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Mine has no problems. I use it hard as a gardening and yard knife. My Onion designed Eros has a similar design and although it's not big, I also use it for everything, including cutting up a chicken.

9. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip. Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Neat