1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood inlays, damascus and sound

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Golden Goal, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Golden Goal

Golden Goal

May 15, 2016
    I've recently let myself start lusting after a small 21 with damascus and wood inlays. I'm willing to bide my time (but also willing to pay the right price), prowling the exchange and used dealers, to find the exact knife I want. Looking to tap into the large knowledge base that I know is around here with a few questions for those who have owned or handled some of the many flavors of the sebenza 21:

1) I think it's been pretty well documented that sebenzas (I imagine its CRKs in general? correct me if I'm wrong) have a very distinct sound to them - particularly when the lock engages or the blade falls closed, but I've also found that the blasted titanium and KnifeArt CF scales have their own sort of hum in hand that other knives, even those made of the same materials, usually lack. How do the addition of wood inlays, a damascus blade and satin flats change the resonance of the knife overall? Does it still make a recognizable, distinctive sound? Please be subjective here - is it still nice?

2) I've seen a nice variety of damascus patterns available from CRK but it seems that raindrop, ladder and basketweave are the most common. I like them, but I saw a much more random/irregular option for damascus not-pattern, if you will, recently that really excited me; I think it was called bubblewrap. What are the most irregular and random-looking options CRK offers/offered for the small 21? If possible, I would like to see wide-ish bands in the damascus; I plan on using this and letting it age naturally so I feel like a fine-banded pattern will fade more aggressively.

3) I'm looking for wood inlays in the dark brown part of the color spectrum; I would say that the dark ebonies are too dark for me and bocote is about too light. I'm hoping to find one with a high-contrast pattern to it where, again, irregularlity is desirable. For example, I really like the cream-into-coffee look of burl and I don't love how spalted beech has lines all nearly the same angle. I also hope to find one that has very little grain texture to it - I would like it to feel as glassy as possible to my fingernail. (Please ignore the texture part if none of CRK's wood inlays have it; I've never touched one). Open to any suggestions here on what might be out there. Overall, for me, color is more important than pattern which is more important than texture.

Other general questions...
    - How is the grip on the satin areas of the scales?
    - What is the logic/trend to thumb lug coloration? Seems like most of the wood/damascus 21s get gold lugs these days but I do see a lot of silver out there - are these requested on a case by case basis? (For myself, I could go either way on gold or silver depending on the shade of the wood, but I think they both always look excellent.)

Thank you for your advice!!!

2. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    The bocote is on bottom and is beautiful imo... I like the silver thumb studs for the contrast and the lack of discoloration. There are so many variances and of course it is all subjective. Have fun with the hunt and enjoy the knife when you receive it! image.jpg