Work In Progress, 4th Knife, input needed!

Hey all! This is my fourth real knife, and so far so good, in my mind at least...definately no work of art. I messed around and made a filing jig, and I'm pretty happy with the results! I did a sort of acid etch on the blade using vinegar, low tech, but it works and fits a low budget:). My scales are going to be Koa wood with carbon fiber pins. Right now, as a student whose truck takes all my money to Fix Or Repair Daily to prevent Found On Road Dead, I'm using table saw blades for my steel..please don't hurt me for saying that:). Shane from SA custom knives kindly let me use one of his designs, which I shortened down and modified quite a bit and obviously, mine isn't half as nice. So please give any input or critiques on this one or for future knives would be great!

Last edited:
Not bad at all, and hey you can get your pics from photobucket to appear on your post if you share the right link. There are 4 to choose from and I think its the one on the bottom. Thanks for sharing.

Not bad at all, and hey you can get your pics from photobucket to appear on your post if you share the right link. There are 4 to choose from and I think its the one on the bottom. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! Ok, good to know, I appreciate that! Absolutely, thanks for commenting!

Hey you did it! Oh yeah and nice job on the hamon looks really good and over all that's a nice little blade.

[SUP][/SUP]
Hey you did it! Oh yeah and nice job on the hamon looks really good and over all that's a nice little blade.

Yea! I appreciate the technology help! Thanks! I'm hoping I can make some really nice scales for it. I'm going for Koa

Hey guys! I really want comments and critiques on this, so please do! Harsh critiques and constructive criticism welcome!

I was thinking the same thing as Ballew, but that first pic is not your knife its your template yeah?

I personally like bigger pins but that is an aesthetic thing anyways. On pins though, I always over size the hole in the tang to make an epoxy bond as well it makes it easier to get your pins in when attaching scales. I'd also drill a few more holes in the tang to lighten it up and assist with balance and it gives you more epoxy bonding points through the tang.

Aside from that, what i see in the photos is looking good so far.

Looking good Nic. Take your time with the finishing and hand sanding and it should turn out well.

I was thinking the same thing as Ballew, but that first pic is not your knife its your template yeah?

I personally like bigger pins but that is an aesthetic thing anyways. On pins though, I always over size the hole in the tang to make an epoxy bond as well it makes it easier to get your pins in when attaching scales. I'd also drill a few more holes in the tang to lighten it up and assist with balance and it gives you more epoxy bonding points through the tang.

Aside from that, what i see in the photos is looking good so far.

No, I put that in my first post, that is Shane's from SA custom, I printed out a picture of it and taped it on there, teicky looking though huh! He was kind enough to let me use his design. Ok, I've seen people do that before, I will drill more holes! I've always liked smaller pins personally. Thank you for the input!

Last edited:
Looking good Nic. Take your time with the finishing and hand sanding and it should turn out well.

Thank you! Certainly nothing like yours, but eventually I'll get there:). Thank you for letting me use your design, I'm loving it so far and it doesn't even have scales on it! I'm getting my wood for it today, so I'll start making scales.

Hey Nic,

For working with what you have you are doing a fantastic job! I've always liked it when someone starts out with next to nothing and produces a real gem. You're doing great mi amigo, keep up the good work!

Hey Nic,

For working with what you have you are doing a fantastic job! I've always liked it when someone starts out with next to nothing and produces a real gem. You're doing great mi amigo, keep up the good work!

Hey, thanks! I appreciate the encouragement, glad you like it! I have my scales almost complete, cocobola and leather...keep an eye out for the finished product on shop talk within the next couple of days if you want to see it! I'm the same way, love making something out of not much...it's a good challenge!!

I'll keep my eyes open for your next steps then, it's good to see what you're doing for sure. I started out much the same way you are (with next to nothing for equipment), it does my heart good to see what you are producing!!!

I'll keep my eyes open for your next steps then, it's good to see what you're doing for sure. I started out much the same way you are (with next to nothing for equipment), it does my heart good to see what you are producing!!!

Thanks! Yea, I have various grinders, sanders, files, and other stuff, but no specialized equiptment...except for the filing jig I made. Thank you very much!

I like it! Fellow beginner here as a maker, but as a knife enthusiast that looks good. I'm not big fan of etch, but lots are and that's a personal preference. Biggest thing is to start.

I like it! Fellow beginner here as a maker, but as a knife enthusiast that looks good. I'm not big fan of etch, but lots are and that's a personal preference. Biggest thing is to start.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! Yea, this was my first time etching, I think it looks neat but I don't know if I will do it again. Thanks again!

Looks good to me, as a beginner myself, I've been using a Gough style jig to file some knives. I should have some knives completed in the not to distant future for criticism.

Looks good to me, as a beginner myself, I've been using a Gough style jig to file some knives. I should have some knives completed in the not to distant future for criticism.

Same here! Mine is a very simplified version, but it works great! I will be looking out for yours. Thanks!

Back