1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst Knife "Article" Ever?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by John_0917, May 29, 2018.

1. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    A friend of mine sent me this, he's in the market for a set of quality kitchen knives (he's not into knives but is into food, I'm working on the first thing, recommended a Spyderco Chef's knife in VG10 for starters).

https://www.knifeplanet.net/best-steel-kitchen-knife/

I hope it's OK to link, well worth the comic relief...It reminds me of the Cabelas descriptions that talk about "8Cr13Mov...ultra high hardness carbon stainless extreme edge retention blah blah"

2. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    ??? Although I didn't read all the chapters, the first section did not seem so egregious. :rolleyes: I believe it is a reasonable place for the non BF type kitchen knife user to begin. :thumbsup:

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  3. basmca

basmca

Aug 1, 2017
    I haven't been around for that long, but how is this the worst ever?

It talks about steel properties, trade off, grinds, what steel works for who, ect.

Nvm it just recommended an electric sharpener.

Deinos and SpySmasher like this.
  4. John_0917

Apr 15, 2014
    Then you didn't get to the good part, after the first paragraph it is literally 95% wrong and prone to massive hyperbole

W. Anderson likes this.
  5. Dean51

Dean51

Aug 30, 2014
    How bout that Sandvik 12C27 and AUS-8 are Super Steels. :rolleyes:

Lapedog likes this.
  6. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    A bit harsh criticism IMO. :( Some hyperbole, yes, but not terrible and I remember when those were considered "super". ;)

DocJD likes this.
  7. basmca

basmca

Aug 1, 2017
    That's opinion based.

If your baseline is 3 euro department store knives AUS8 will blow your mind.

8. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    Wow,that is the first time I have heard AUS-8 referred to as a Super Steel.

9. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    Go back about, I don't know, 15 years or so. ;)

10. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    "Super steel" is a marketing term that changes over time with what was available. At one time AUS8 was a Spyderco, Al Mar, etc. upgrade from AUS6. It is still used by AlMar, but is now middle of the pack steel.

11. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    LOL that is pretty bad... many parts had me laughing, this is probably the worst:

"Sandvik 12C27 – a Super Steel made in Sweden, similar to S30V"...

how in the hell are they similar?, lmao, pm steel vs ingot, and zero Vanadium vs 4%? and 0.6% Carbon vs 1.45%?? wow

12. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I do understand some of the weaknesses that are mentioned by the above posts.
    The problem, as I see it, is that the fellow who reads this article is likely looking for informed guidance in picking a good steel for a kitchen knife. This article, although well-meant, generally appears to be well behind the times.

13. Larrin

Larrin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2004
    High tensile strength and edge retention go together, they are not opposed to each other. Tensile strength doesn’t measure flexing. Tensile strength doesn’t necessarily correlate with ease in sharpening. Vanadium doesn’t increase rust resistance. Stainless steels aren’t particularly known for taking keen edges. That’s as far as I got in the article.

Rhinoknives1 and marrenmiller like this.
  14. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    That one got me pretty good too, besides all of their steel descriptions, that one was probably the worst. I also don't think they have the right info on ATS-34. I think my skepticism grew at "1055 - one of my favorite knife steels." Not that there's anything wrong with that being your favorite but I think we're shopping in different price points. Honestly, can't say I've seen a 1055 kitchen knife but maybe that's when "carbon steel" is the name given to the knife steel.

At least at the end they mention using the best knives you can afford and to not skimp on the sharpener.

15. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Much of the info in the article is either wrong or simply long outdated. For example, ATS-34 was a Japanese version of 154CM, not the other way around.

That said, I wouldn't say it's the worst knife article ever. I've seen worse.

Jim

16. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    I like that 1095 is always a consistent 56 HRC. :rolleyes:

17. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    the only way I could think that 12c27 is similar to s30v, is if you're measuring the improvement from 'standard' stainless used in cheap kitchen knives... both offer a huge improvement, with s30v taking a much bigger jump of course

18. John_0917

Apr 15, 2014
    Or that they are both made when you get a bunch of metal REALLY hot and then mix it all around!

19. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw

Feb 27, 2014
    It's obvious this person got all the steel info from Google searches. Since he really has no clue what he's talking about. However.... You may pick on the writers knowledge of metallurgy, but not his taste in kitchen knives. Those are all quality blades he suggests. You wouldn't go wrong with any of them.
    AND the guy knows how to sharpen. If you read part 3 he says that electrics and "V" sharpeners work, but they will essentially eat your knife (as we all know)
    So, for the layman this is a fantastic article!

20. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    Certainly not the worst I've ever seen.

I can think of at least one now defunct knife magazine that routinely had terrible articles that were at least this bad.