1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We will be conducting maintenance tonight to update server processes. Downtime may be 1-2 hours or more, starting at 10:15PM Eastern.

Would love to see an Insingo Umnumzaan

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Nystagmus, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:49 PM.

1. Nystagmus

Nystagmus Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Apologies if this has been brought up before and, as a lurker here, it is highly unlike me to start a thread. But, dang, I would love to see an Insingo blade on an Umnumzaan!

What are your thoughts?

2. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Then it wouldn't be an Umnumzaan.

3. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I’m trying to picrure it in my mind....the harpoonish spine is kind of a trademark of the ‘Zaan. I’m not sure how they’d keep that theme going with an insingo.

4. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 17, 2014
    I agree with the OP. If they can do a Tanto Umnum, they can do an Insingo.

Officer's Match likes this.
  5. Nystagmus

Nystagmus Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Thats a good point. I don't know how the geometry would work out. I would just love to see some type of insingo shape edge on the zaan platform.

6. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 17, 2014
    The tanto Zaan doesn't really carry the harpoon theme. I don't know why an insingo version would have to have it either.

Officer's Match and Nystagmus like this.
  7. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I want a Zaan with the Insingo blade and Micarta inlays. Not kidding either.

8. photoman12001

photoman12001 Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2008
    I was messing with one of my Umnumzaans yesterday and thinking I'd like one with micarta inlays. I've really grow to prefer the inlay CRKs, especially micarta.

9. sn0wman72

sn0wman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2017
    The cross hatch pattern on the scales is part of what makes the Umnumzaan what it is, seems like an inlay would create an all new design

10. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I don't know, the StarTac looks pretty good.

photoman12001 likes this.
  11. photoman12001

photoman12001 Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2008
    It would no different than the variations done with Sebenzas & Inkosis. And they do the Wilson Combat version already as Officer’s Match mentioned. I prefer and only own old pivot Umnumzaans but I would buy a new pivot version with micarta inlays. I think an old pivot with inlays would look neat though.

12. bart1

bart1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2009
    Leave the poor Zaan alone... With Inkosi, and 21's , I'd like to see CRK come up with the next mind blowing design we haven't seen. While we're on" what I would like to see" How about a damascus Insingo?

13. VolGrad

VolGrad Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2010
    I'd prefer a small Umnumzaan over another full sized version with a different blade shape. That would be cool.

Or ... let's finally get a medium Sebenza.

Nystagmus likes this.
  14. Thin-Slice

Thin-Slice Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2016
    For some reason i feel like the insingo would not look good on the zaan. It would just feel weird in my eyes but to each his own.

15. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I love my Insingo blades ... but what I find makes the Umnumzaan iconic is the harpoon styled tip.

I understand there are more design differences then other CRK models but for me that harpoon styled blade is what sets it apart from other models.

Korean Hog likes this.
  16. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Harpoon styled blade or Tanto blade either way I feel like the Umnumzaan is meant to be more of an aggressive design. Not that fighting is it's sole purpose, it excels at utilitarian tasks, but both blade shapes seem to place an emphasis on penetrating into material. The insingo is more about that controlled utility cut and IMO that blade shape wouldn't match up right to an Umnumzaan handle, and if you modified the handle to match you'd wind up with something close to a sebenza or inkosi anyway.

JenWrath likes this.