Would you (American knife collectors) still collect if you lived in the UK?

Or any other country with stringent knife laws?

I know the laws vary state by state. But from what I can gather, Americans are trusted to carry knives about their person daily.

Living in Scotland, I've always had a thing for victorinox and multitools like leatherman. Living in the UK though we are severely limited in what we can and can't carry everyday. I'm not looking to discuss whether or not the laws here are correct or not. It is what it is.

However, I am curious. If by some strange twist of fate, Americans were suddenly teleported to the UK. Would you still bother procuring knifes? To me a knife is a tool. I don't see the point in spending mega money on a knife I'm not allowed to leave the house with so I avoid locking knives generally. I don't really understand the UK contingent who buy knives as ornaments.

I know some UK people might argue that locking knives aren't illegal and you can carry them with good reason. But generally, the good reason needs to be working with them. I can't imagine many people paying hundreds for a beautiful knife to use on a farm cutting hay bales for example. Americans can justify the expenditure on a big fancy locking knife which they can use everyday. But if you lived in the UK would you still buy knives for indoor use only?

Were I live I can own but can’t carry switchblades or double edged knives. I own a few of each. But not being able to carry them does take the fun out of it.

Absolutely. The collection would just shift. I would be more into GEC and other non-locking. I’d still look for knives I really like that lock. I might have some knives that might be questionable where I might live in CA.

just curious and i've not been timid in the past 20 years. Are you native Irish? Or transplanted from some other place? Only been to Ireland once a little over a year ago. Really liked it other than the knife and gun laws. I was there with daughter looking at horses so, of course, we were rural.

I probably would stop collecting so as not to be sent to Tower of London prison. etc.

I would sure support and finance those politicians interested in treating knife and gun owners as responsible individuals, unless proven otherwise. Then it's off to the tower with those who can't be trusted.

RedFury RedFury Not sure if there is any Irish in the family. Although McCabe is both an Irish and Scottish surname. Mothers maiden name is Calder which is a Highland Scottish clan apparently. Not really done much digging.

Ireland laws are strict, I don't even think you can carry a pen knife there, although Northern Ireland apparently allows you to own a handgun for self protection (probably because of the troubles) but UK knife laws still apply

I've seen loads of cool blades on this site. But I couldn't justify buying most just for them to sit in a bedroom. That's why I was wondering if being allowed to carry them would make a difference to you deciding on purchasing them or not.

I live in a place without restrictions. Somehow, crime or violence with knives is rare enough that we never hear of it. Guns are largely unrestricted here too and go figure, it's one of the safest places in the entire world.

I prefer knives that can be easily opened or closed with one hand. Flipper tabs work best for me. So that's what I use. I guess I should be grateful that my choice is only based on natural factors, like ergonomics and ease of use. If that were suddenly outlawed, I suppose I'd make due. However, I wouldn't be happy about it and this would drop from hobby status like a brick in a lake.

We can't carry potato peelers. But it's ok because our police with our best interest at heart are walking around with Sub machine guns and pistols.

Back