Would you trade your 2021 Traditional Forum Knife???

Would you put up 2021 Bladeforum knife "Spring Street Barlow" for a trade?

• Yes, why not?

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • No, why would you?

Votes: 33 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The forum knife has picked up a lot of baggage over the years. I've been around it since the inaugural ring knife, though I didn't get my first until 2010. At the time it was simply a way for the T(F&FB) denizens to get together and pick up a cool, maybe unusual knife that was not then readily available. There was none of this angst regarding trading, nor were there any unrealistic expectations that the value of the knife would remain frozen in time. We were just a bunch of guys who liked knives and would place a group order for one every so often. Once you got your knife it was just that...yours, to do with as you pleased. Was there sometimes regret on missing out? Sure, but there was none of the anger, bitterness, and jealousy that you now see.

"I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days before you actually left them."

Ajack60

Platinum Member
I would not, simply because only one per person, and it represents the community as a whole. No other knife will be able to replace it.

sitflyer

Gold Member
Why is that?
The forum knife has picked up a lot of baggage over the years. I've been around it since the inaugural ring knife, though I didn't get my first until 2010. At the time it was simply a way for the T(F&FB) denizens to get together and pick up a cool, maybe unusual knife that was not then readily available. There was none of this angst regarding trading, nor were there any unrealistic expectations that the value of the knife would remain frozen in time. We were just a bunch of guys who liked knives and would place a group order for one every so often. Once you got your knife it was just that...yours, to do with as you pleased. Was there sometimes regret on missing out? Sure, but there was none of the anger, bitterness, and jealousy that you now see.

"I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days before you actually left them."
I think kamagong stated it rather succinctly. Basically this thing just blew up in popularity and outgrew the grass roots let's get a special knife made to celebrate our special thing we have going on here vibe, and things got out of control and brought about a negative element into the Traditional forum.

As a personal side note, the Trad BF knife carries the moniker Blade Forums as its tang stamp, which is a copywrited property of the owner here. I have no idea of what his feelings on the matter are, his house his rules, but each year the process needed his approval. This years process left a lot to be desired in regards to smooth sailing with how things turned out.

sitflyer

Gold Member
euroken euroken , personally, I'd hold onto it for a while and really ponder things, You'd likely never get another if you regretted moving it along, and just by being here, you, as many of us, probably have more knives than you need already.

Markeologist

Basic Member
The misunderstanding is that nobody, apparently, read the post they are reacting to. I didn't write that the problem was THE EVIL FLIPPER. I wrote that the problem was a business practice that creates demand that outstrips availability.

I don't know how to put it any more plainly. I have no problem with anyone selling a knife that they own. Flipping, to me, is just a non-issue.

The Flipping issue boils down to people feeling that they can't buy something they want, when they want it, and at the price they want to pay. The result is name calling and posturing. Does this seem even remotely civilized? Knives are just things. Is it really worth all this angst?

Enough of this. I'll leave the rest of the discussion to you all.
I read your piece AND articulated (obviously clearly enough for others to follow) AND with civility, one disagreement I had with your statement…specifically that the knife buyer (talking knife enthusiast here) was somehow not responsible for creating the “climate” surrounding a knife drop and the presence of the “evil flipper” (did you read your own post?). My only premise was that all of us who participate on social media to discuss knives help create that “climate” by hyping a knife. This hype leads to desire and if the number of people who desire the knife out numbers supply, the “climate” that allows flippers to prosper has been created. I clearly made that statement in regards too ALL knife drops, not just the BF Barlow and not even just traditional knives. You have not articulated a clear argument against my statement, instead resorting to accusing me of name calling, not reading, and other atrocities (did you read my post?).
To reiterate, I just think folks need to understand that OUR (i.e., me too) talking up of a future knife helps create that demand so we are in fact partly to blame for the frenzy surrounding a drop including the presence of the “evil flippers.” Now I’M done, back to “what are ya totin’ today” where the focus is on the knives themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.