Wusthof fakes

So my fiance bought me a set of Wusthof knives for Chirstmas. She bought the classic 5 piece knife set from Amazon. I was pretty excited about the knives, because we've been using the cheep Farberware knives we received as a gift. I was looking them over, thinking that they don't look quite as nice as I expected them to look. They certainly looked nicer than the ones we had. I then noticed that the logo on the handle wasn't imprinted as I would have expected. It was just a sticker. I promptly did some internet searching only to find out that Wusthof does not sell knives through Amazon and any bought through the site are extremely likely to be fakes. I'm disappointed that they are fake, but I am pleased that my fiance was trying to get me something nice.

Can anyone else confirm that Amazon does not sell real Wusthof knives?

With all that being said, the knives came very sharp. I haven't put them to any really hevy use yet, but they have cut through a variety of foods with relative ease. Tomatoes, cucumbers, lemons, limes and a few apples. They seem to be holding an edge fairly well. If indeed they are fake, I have no idea what kind of steel they are. I'm not a professional chef so even if they weren't fake they wouldn't get a terrible amount of use from me. Most likely just basic food prep.

Has anyone had any experience with fake Wusthof knives? I'm assuming there isn't any real way to find out what materials were used to make them. They seem to be ok, at least for what I intend to use them for.

I guess the lesson to be learned is don't buy Wusthof knives from Amazon.

Wüsthof does sell on Amazon, and like Henckels, they have different lines of knives (see Henckels International as opposed to Zwilling). I'll quote from an Amazon review of the set you might have bought: "Buyer beware. the Gourmet line deceptively looks like the Classic line from the picture, but it's far inferior. Much lighter and thinner. The blade only partially goes through the handle so the handle is part of the structure of the knife not just a grip. And it's plastic and unlikely to last like the Classic. You might have thought you were getting deal, buying the set at what seemed half the price. But at best they are worth half the price and probably not even that."

I must have missed that review. That sounds exactly like what happened. That do seem light and flimsy. Still better than the cheapos we had before. I'll have to post a review on Amazon as well.

I just noticed I may have gotten a Fake Wusthof Classic Ikon . It's just the Wusthof is on the wrong side then all my other classic ikons but it does have the pommel stamp and weight and fitment feels correct . texture of the handle material .

So I dont know if I just got an error but I looked up images of the santoku and they all have the Wusthof on the correct side as all the others.

what do you guys think ??

ELMmzcj

ymXC4us.jpg

The image below the pommel on the top is the santuko in question .
ELMmzcj.jpg

ymXC4us

Back