Wusthof ?s

I went to an estate sale and found some old Wusthof knives. I was looking up online to see what I had and I found people asking for lots of $, on the big retail site. Are these old wusthof knives good quality? Are they worth restoring? I really don't know much about chefs knives. Any advice would be great.
20210812-194812.jpg

I can't help you with the "what are they worth" question, but was wondering what about them needs restoring. They look in pretty good shape from the pictures. They are almost certainly worth the cost of getting them sharpened, even if you just give them away.

Thanks.

Agreed. Overall they look to be in decent shape.

Sharpen these edges and put them to work.

I have one of their pocket folders and I really enjoy the heck out of it.

Those were quite the find. Most people don’t own kitchen knives that nice. I know I don’t.

If the chip that you're referring to is in the circled area in the attached pic, I wouldn't give it a second thought. After sharpening, you probably won't be able to find the thing with your eye (touch is something else). Even if it's still there, it shouldn't affect the utility of the knife.1628829547132.png

Last edited:
I believe the x50crMov15 are steels used in their budget-medium line. Good stainless performers. Original price would be 85-150 range...educated guess :)

Good luck.

Wüsthof is a well known German brand from Solingen. Solingen is known as "knife city". The knives made by Wüsthof are of a decent quality. X50 Cr Mo V15 is a classic steel that is often used for kitchen knives in Germany. Is quite immune to rust and keeps a good, sharp edge.
I don't know what those knives you show in your post are precious. But they will serve you well, in my opinion. One of my Wüsthof knives is my sharpest kitchen knife.

Last edited:
I'm googling around and it looks like it may have closed down recently (there is conflicting info), but if it hasn't, I believe the Wustoff American HQ in Connecticut will sharpen any Wustoff blades for a few bucks each.
Anyone know if it still exists?

There is a quantitative assessment of edge retention for a few mid-priced kitchen knife brands at: http://knifegrinders.com.au/CATRA-report.htm. Wustof scores near the middle, and I've got a couple that are about 30 years old. Intrigued by the substantially better rating of the Global, I ordered a couple of those last month and am looking forward to comparing them.

Last edited:
I'm googling around and it looks like it may have closed down recently (there is conflicting info), but if it hasn't, I believe the Wustoff American HQ in Connecticut will sharpen any Wustoff blades for a few bucks each.
Anyone know if it still exists?
Its closed (I live in CT).

The victorinox store still open, they sell alot of refills and replacements for SAKs but otherwise their products are slightly more expensive than online retailers.

If you dont mind paying shipping, just send it to me and I'll sharpen them for you lol.

Edit: note on sharpening the x50crMov15...they're pretty easy to sharpen on the sharpmaker, even if badly rolled. Chipping on the other hand, would make me take to a stone. They're close to Shun's VGMax in terms of easy of sharpen.

Last edited:
Based on auction prices I just looked up I’d guess $125-ish for all three. I hope you got a good deal on them. The chef knife (classic 4582/20) is kind of a home kitchen flagship for Wusthof. They run new all day for about $150. It’s the same steel used in my Messermeister and I believe in Victorinox Fibrox, great kitchen steel, once sharp it stays that way with minimal touch ups on a steel. I use mine regularly and haven’t had to sharpen in over 2 years. They will easily outlast you if you take care of them.

There is a quantitative assessment of edge retention for a few mid-priced kitchen knife brands at: http://knifegrinders.com.au/CATRA-report.htm. Wustof scores near the middle, and I've got a couple that are about 30 years old. Intrigued by the substantially better rating of the Global, I ordered a couple of those last month and am looking forward to comparing them.
My Messermeister and Victorinox using the same X50 Cr Mo V15 steel have zero chips in them after years of use, I’ve got multiple chips in my global G-58, I assume because it’s harder and more brittle. It chips while my Messermeisters/victorinox roll. That being said I still love the G-58, just has some chips in it now from use.

good kitchen knives, sharpen them up your self rather than send them out. in oz they are not cheap. would prefer these to the globals

I've been using various Wusthofs chef knives for over 25 years in commercial kitchens. They were the benchmark forever in big kitchens. Use them, don't sell em is my advice!

Only in the last couple of years have I mixed in a BD-1N knife .

FWIW, recently, my local brick and mortar kitchen supply store couldn’t order the 4 1/2” Wusthof Chef’s knife for me, so I ordered direct from Wusthof America. Arrived quick, as ordered, without problem. I’ve bought a couple other Wusthof’s for home and I love them.

Followup: for those times when I want a shorter blade, this full size 4 1/2” handle feels much better & often gives me more comforting control, vs the smaller paring & etc knives I’ve always used. I really like this knife. FWIW

Last edited:
Back