x

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by xxGOGOxx, Nov 5, 2019.

1. xxGOGOxx

xxGOGOxx Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  2. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Hi GBU.

Sharp & Fiery and evilgreg like this.
  3. Gideons

Gideons Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I would say it is both you and microtech. For your "gravity test" depending on how hard the downward motion was, I wouldn't say it is that uncommon for non-flipper manual knives to fail that test. I've seen reviews where people like that, so they can "flick" the knife open without using the thumbstud/hole. Secondly, I gotta say if this will be a user the blade being off-centred by 1mm shouldn't be a big deal. From the customer service aspect to me, it appears something is out of spec that is indirectly causing the issues. So, fixing the lockbar etc won't solve the issue as that is just the by product of something else being out of spec. Normally, I know this isn't great but for this reason If I get a knife that has issue(s) I often just return it and notify the retailer of the issues. Since it will be a lot of effort, sometimes without a resolution.

4. xxGOGOxx

Nov 19, 2014

5. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    I've had maybe a dozen Socoms of different kinds and model years, and they've all had weak detents (and all different levels of weak, too) that fail a strong wrist test. I still love them, but I advise people to be cautious when expecting a certain experience from the factory. Thankfully, they're easy to take apart and tweak the lockbar tension yourself if need be. Adding lockbar tension will usually solve all issues with the detent.

Unfortunately, it's not at all unheard of for them to ship socoms with lock rock. My warranty experiences with them have been generally good, but I am not surprised to hear they didn't fix the issue for you. I have never had a lock issue fixed satisfactorily from an OEM under warranty repair, be it from Microtech, Benchmade, or ZT. If it's bad from the factory, I always bet on it being a permanent problem. Proper lock function is just something that I don't expect a factory worker to be able to get right, hence why I send knives back for a refund when then have lock issues rather than try to get them fixed.

Let us know if they ever get it fixed. Good luck.

6. xxGOGOxx

Nov 19, 2014

7. coinbuysell

coinbuysell Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2014
    How many times are we going to see this post? I have sent a couple of DOC's in and they were both fixed within a month (that model was a cluster, maybe one of the collaborators did not help i.e. Strider). I have 4 SOCOM's 2 manual and 2 auto and have had no issues...seems like the same guys have issues with each maker.

Gideons likes this.
  8. snapshot2017

snapshot2017

Jan 28, 2017
    I get the feeling that the Microtech SoCom Elite, really might not be the right knife for you.

9. xxGOGOxx

Nov 19, 2014

insta9ves, willc and marrenmiller like this.
  10. xxGOGOxx

Nov 19, 2014

11. xxGOGOxx

Nov 19, 2014

12. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Your first issue was sending it to ApostleP.

But for real, sounds like a microtech issue. I've never understood why it's so common for these companies to get knives in and do absolutely nothing, while claiming they fixed it. See those types of stories all of the time about bigger companies. Its gotta be more of a waste of payroll to pretend to fix the knife multiple times than it is to actually fix it the first time.

Hope it works out for you though.

13. AKnife

AKnife

May 10, 2009
    Probably got a lemon. It's the risk you take when you purchase production knives online. Sucks you're getting the run around from Microtech.

Next time try to buy in person so you can inspect the knife OR find a reputable online dealer that might do a once over for you.

marrenmiller likes this.
  14. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Most are fixed, but not much drama to talk about with that. But not fixed draws alot of emotions out. So were more likely to hear about it.

15. coinbuysell

coinbuysell Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2014
    b
    Not referring to you in particular but search the site and you will see this thread every few months. They have gotten much better with the customer service but no company is perfect, I used to think Kershaw/ZT was close but they seem to be slipping lately.