Xm-18 handle screw broke in the handle nut, twisted off

So I was cleaning my skinny sheepsfoot XM-18 3.5" and I unscrewed the handle screw to take the scale off. I used a WIHA bit in a Kershaw torx tool. when I was screwing the handle screw back in the handle screw broke inside the handle nut.

My question is should I contact DLT TRading where I bought it last month, Hinderer because it's their knife or am I on my own and I should I drill out the screw myself? The skinny handle screw is really small but I'm pretty confident I can do it. not sure I want to take the chance though if I can have it fixed through warranty and avoid any issues.

I've probably taken it apart only 5 times, so I'm a little confused how this even happened.I may need to upgrade to Titanium screws and nut in the future but for now I just want to get my knife back to normal. Anyone have any insight? Please help a guy out and point me in the right direction. Pictures for reference:

Last edited:
That happened to me and I used a small drill bit in clock wise to snag it and drive it through the other side without damage. Small enough to not touch the threads.

You need to take the other screw out first.

If I couldn’t get it out, I’d send to Hinderer. Take the other screw out and just work with the standoff. Shouldn’t be too hard.

If I couldn’t get it out, I’d send to Hinderer. Take the other screw out and just work with the standoff. Shouldn’t be too hard.

Now that you mention that I was able to get it out but hinder did send me a new standoff free of charge along with the screw after explaining what happened there is no need to send the knife in whatsoever.

ErocSD ErocSD

Both great points, thank you, I think I'll take the knife apart and the scale should come off. the standoff can then be taken out completely and I can replace the whole standoff and screw. Perhaps Hinderer will hook me up but I'm sure I will just buy another Titanium set. The selection of skinny screws and nuts are pretty slim lately though. I've only seen brass skinnies on DLT.

Now that you mention that I was able to get it out but hinder did send me a new standoff free of charge along with the screw after explaining what happened there is no need to send the knife in whatsoever.

ErocSD ErocSD
Good lookin out, I think I'll do that. Thanks everyone.

Anyone have any leads on new Titanium skinny hardware? the screw and nut most importantly. the 3" pivot screw seems pretty easy to source and the rest as well.

You have had the knife for a month and have taken it apart 5 times?

Ya, I take all my knifes apart and wipe them completely down then oil them myself when I first get them. 3 other times for scale replacements and then this last time for a cleaning. The stonewashed gets kind of gunked up with pocket fuzz from EDC and the micarta scale was getting a blue hue so I sanded it with ultra fine sandpaper to get rid of the blue coloration.

Are you saying an overbuilt heavy duty first responder knife like an XM-18 can't be disassembled multiple times without failure? I've seen many members change their scales twice a week. I'm not quite there but I'm just saying it shouldn't cause a failure, this isn't a dainty knife.

Just checking. With all the aftermarket parts, scales, etc. I see why some people take these knives apart a lot. I have never fully disassembled a knife and have done one scale swap over the course of decades.

I’d see if you could Get it fully disassembled and try to get it out yourself. Only part that is still pretty damn scarce are the handle nuts and standoffs for the Skinny. I’ve only seen copper standoffs and the bronze and blue handle nuts so far. The scales screws are just regular 3.5” scale screws. If you can get it apart without any damage to the handle nut and standoff you can at least get some screws easily.

Just checking. With all the aftermarket parts, scales, etc. I see why some people take these knives apart a lot. I have never fully disassembled a knife and have done one scale swap over the course of decades.

I'm kind of a tinkerer so I like to learn how things work. I disassemble all my knives, some are easier than other to put back together. I got scolded by DPX for disassembling my Aculus flipper.

I tried a few different scales until I found the color set up I like; natural micarta and stonewashed... that's where I am keeping it for a long time. I also disassemble all my guns for cleaning every time I shoot them. To each their own I guess.

Last edited:
I’d see if you could Get it fully disassembled and try to get it out yourself. Only part that is still pretty damn scarce are the handle nuts and standoffs for the Skinny. I’ve only seen copper standoffs and the bronze and blue handle nuts so far. The scales screws are just regular 3.5” scale screws. If you can get it apart without any damage to the handle nut and standoff you can at least get some screws easily.

Great point, the screws are actually easy to source, the stand offs are the hard part. This skinny has a double sided standoff so there is no nut, its a screw on both sides... kind of weird.

Last edited:
Are the originals stainless? If so they may have Galled and fused together. Switch to a brass screw with the stainless nut.

Are the originals stainless? If so they may have Galled and fused together. Switch to a brass screw with the stainless nut.

Good thinking. I'm looking for plain Ti screws and I can't seem to find any... if I they dont turn up then I'll try that, thank you

I also suspect that if you emailed Hinderer and sent them a pic of what happened, they might just replace the standoff and screw for you. Their customer service is really good about replying quickly, in my experience.

I also suspect that if you emailed Hinderer and sent them a pic of what happened, they might just replace the standoff and screw for you. Their customer service is really good about replying quickly, in my experience.

Thank you, I have already emailed both DLT and Hinderer. I will see what happens on Monday. I have heard good things about both companies so i am positive about it so far.

Great point, the screws are actually easy to source, the stand offs are the hard part. This skinny has a double sided standoff so there is no nut, its a screw on both sides... kind of weird.

Of course it was on the Sheepsfoot, pretty sure their hardware is totally different because of the blade shape and how it rests on the closed position. I’d email RHK.

Good thinking. I'm looking for plain Ti screws and I can't seem to find any... if I they dont turn up then I'll try that, thank you

The sheepsfoot models use the standoffs and handle screws from the eklipse model ... but I'm not sure I've seen and plain stoneware hardware for the skinny sheepsfoot ... or if it uses the same as the regular ... I haven't taken my skinny sheepsfoot apart yet and hadn't given it a thought yet ... but I imagine if you contact Hinderer they might send you a replacement.

Of course it was on the Sheepsfoot, pretty sure their hardware is totally different because of the blade shape and how it rests on the closed position. I’d email RHK.

The sheepsfoot models use the standoffs and handle screws from the eklipse model ... but I'm not sure I've seen and plain stoneware hardware for the skinny sheepsfoot ... or if it uses the same as the regular ... I haven't taken my skinny sheepsfoot apart yet and hadn't given it a thought yet ... but I imagine if you contact Hinderer they might send you a replacement.

Thanks, I had no idea the sheepsfoot as different. Just saved me some money on the wrong screws Hah . I'll see what Hinderer says before I order any new parts.

Back