You cord wrapped WHAT?!?!?! (pic)

A Tomahawk handle! What else would we cord wrap at ATC?
biggrin.gif
I'm not the best at it, but I put two and two together and at least got it reasonably tight.

This made for a superlative gripping surface in choking up on the handle with this bare steel prototype Vietnam Tomahawk...we have whipped the starch out of it with nothing left wanting. Awesome performance.
View

I'm gonna try some of the multi-colored cord...MikeD60 probably has some good suggestions on which. All I had was std. 550 and it works and looks great! Believe it or not, it acutally strengthens the thinner part of of the handle going into the eye (Hey Ryan! If you are reading this, maybe you can share a few comments on the historical use of leather like you do on your Hawks!)

View

------------------
Andy Prisco,
Co-Founder, Manager
American Tomahawk Company
877-557-5200
http://www.americantomahawk.com
----------------------

Seriously;
If you do plan on cord wrapping hawk handles. Then stick to the mil-spec 550 paracord. It the best for a survival situation, since you can break it down into individual strands.
wink.gif

------------------
Big-Target>>>>>I'm not called that because I'm an anorexic midget!!!

Andy,

Will the new Hawks have that fat-skinny-fat pattern handle, or will they have a continuous distal taper?

THUNK!!!

The hourglass handles were affixed to the prototypes to clearly and easily distinguish them from the originals which are hitting the forge this week.

The production run will utilize the original distal tapered handle, per LaGana spec. There is no denying that the hourglass handle is quite comfy though!!!

------------------
Andy Prisco,
Co-Founder, Manager
American Tomahawk Company
877-557-5200
http://www.americantomahawk.com
----------------------

First off, thanks to Brian for the heads up on the forum question. Somedays it is difficult to get around to email, and I almost never get to read the forums...tomahawk making is a busy occupation, and my wife doesn't like me bringing work home via the computer. ( I only work 10 hours a day...can't have nothin')
Anyway, about the wrapping of handles. Handle wrapping was historically done in several forms, primarily wire and leather. I don't think there were any intentions other than decoration, and a good place to hang fetishes and drops. The wire wrapped handles were often snare wire wrapped either in sections or from one end to the other. ( The Pacer's Son tomahawk comes to mind ) The leather, or rawhide wraps were put on wet, sewed, and allowed to dry and shrink tight. We wrap a portion of our hawk handles primarily for decoration, and, well, because that is one of our trademarks, and sets our hawks apart. ( and, Dad is really darn good at it ) I'm sure the cord wrapping/leather wrapping has performance value, particularly in absorbing or dampening the shock of a blow. Also, as Andy mentioned, a wrap provides a great gripping surface. Thanks again for the heads up, have fun talkin' hawks, and I'm headed back to the shop.
Ryan Johnson, RMJ Forge www.rmjforge.com

Believe it or not, I did the cord wrapping on my RSH(Ranger Spike Hawk). And if the wooden handle ever hits against anything hard,eve when carrying, it suppresses the impact noise.

Great idea Andy!!!!!!
wink.gif

------------------
Big-Target>>>>>"I may look like a crook and a ruffian. But witness,O Moon, the splender of my heart."-----(Kantaro of Ina)

Back