You get what you pay for...

3Nu1JcR.png

Bought this cheap sheffield kukri for about 30 dollars, and went to cut some stuff with it today. First branch i swing it at brakes a half-inch chunk out of the blade. I reallize that you get what you pay for, but come on. Its a kukri, its made to cut through stuff like that. Neadless to say, sheffield is not a good brand, but i guess im the only one who fell for that haha. I expected at least a little more though. One thing i will say is that this was one of the sharper blades out of the box, but that doesnt really matter when the sharp part just brakes off.

Last edited:

Bought this cheap sheffield kukri for about 30 dollars, and went to cut some stuff with it today. First branch i swing it at brakes a half-inch chunk out of the blade. I reallize that you get what you pay for, but come on. Its a kukri, its made to cut through stuff like that. Neadless to say, sheffield is not a good brand, but i guess im the only one who fell for that haha. I expected at least a little more though. One thing i will say is that this was one of the sharper blades out of the box, but that doesnt really matter when the sharp part just brakes off.
Yep their stuff is pretty much junk.
They've got a lightweight all synthetic folding utility knife that's good for the price, but other than that all their stuff sucks.
Now you do often get what you pay for, if you go for the thing that looks the coolest the cost most likely went into making it look cool.
At least $30 isn't exactly a fortune, and you learned a good lesson.

Btw If you're actually looking for a machete type blade A $14 Imicasa produced Marbles machete is a much better tool, not a khukri but a great tool( The standard Imicasa is less but doesn't come sharp )
Made of a well treated carbon steel by a company who's been doing it a long time .

Ah, that actually makes a lot of sense. I just assumed it was a brand because thats what it said on the sheath. And thanks, ill have to check it out. Im pretty new so i dont really know my way around yet, as you could probably tell because i couldnt get the picture to send lol. I take it that the blade wasnt actually made with sheffield steel because it was a bunch of crap

Ah, that actually makes a lot of sense. I just assumed it was a brand because thats what it said on the sheath. And thanks, ill have to check it out. Im pretty new so i dont really know my way around yet, as you could probably tell because i couldnt get the picture to send lol. I take it that the blade wasnt actually made with sheffield steel because it was a bunch of crap
HI makes very, very nice stuff. If you want an inexpensive beater, though, look at the kuhkri machetes from Kabar, Ontario and Cold Steel. Those are all solid tools that can take a beating.

Sheffield is the brand, most of their stuff is cheap knife ,/ multitool combo sets available at Walmart.
I believe they went with the name Sheffield as that used to be a city of great cutlery manufactur known at one time for it's great steel.

Sheffield is a place, not a brand. In the past it was hub for steel production for the British Empire. Just like Solingen or Damascus were also hubs for smelting.

They built this in 1851 with Sheffield steel.
Crystal_Palace_General_view_from_Water_Temple.jpg

There's a good section here for traditonal Kukri's https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/himalayan-imports.739/

It is also a brand of Chinese made junk sold at walmart. Seen a few of their knives there before. Not that Sheffield, England made knives are any better quality... got a couple and was disappointed.

A lot of the cheap junk steel that you find out there that is being marketed under the Sheffield name is simply some entity or entities attempting to take advantage of the once legendary reputation of Sheffield steel. Unfortunately, the actual city of Sheffield is a bit of a shadow of its former self, at least in regards to its cutlery history. And though there are still some factories that are still functioning, most modern stuff that you see nowadays is simply junk that isn't even made in Sheffield.

So yes, you know what they say about it being too good to be true....

Plenty of great options in the lower end of the price range that have been mentioned that should hold up to your needs far more effectively.

Sheffield is part of the Great Neck tool conglomerate. You should write them direct, and see if they will replace it, or comp you something else. Sadly a lot of these old tool companies are now working on the "replace it", rather than get it right the first time model.

http://www.greatnecksaw.com/ .

HI Imports make excellent hard use traditional Kukuri blades that can take severe abuse and are made with such heft that the downswing projects a lot of chopping power.

For a lighter option Insipid Moniker had excellent suggestions. I have a KaBar and a Condor. I much prefer the KaBar. The Condor slips around too much from the rounded handle and doesn’t seem to bite as well as the KaBar.

Condor makes a machete in that price range, very sturdy and capable

Update: figured out how to put pictures lol

The thing looks like i was beating it on rocks or something, but that was just from chopping at a few branches!

And thank you all for the suggestions, ill deffinately have to check them out.

wow that BK is nice. Gonna have to check those out. I have 2 cold steel machetes. gave the kukri to my sons friend as a gift. kept the barong and put a pretty fine edge on it only to have it chip out on a soft 1 " branch!! . Not like what you have shown here but small scips. Needless to say not impressed but I guess for the price I paid its to be expected? I will not be getting another ColdSteel machete but will look at that BK!!

will also say this . Nowadays you are lucky if you barely get what you paid for.

there is a sever lack of integrity or character in anything sold these days not just knives

wow that BK is nice. Gonna have to check those out. I have 2 cold steel machetes. gave the kukri to my sons friend as a gift. kept the barong and put a pretty fine edge on it only to have it chip out on a soft 1 " branch!! . Not like what you have shown here but small scips. Needless to say not impressed but I guess for the price I paid its to be expected? I will not be getting another ColdSteel machete but will look at that BK!!

will also say this . Nowadays you are lucky if you barely get what you paid for.

there is a sever lack of integrity or character in anything sold these days not just knives

That's quite a generalization.

If you have not seen the integrity or character of the vast majority of the folks in the knife industry, you haven't been paying attention.

And if you have not seen the many, many solid, get-more-than-you-pay-for, values in the knife industry, you haven't been paying attention.

Unfortunately, this knife is cheap crap and it gives one exactly what you pay for.

Back