You guys complain to much!

I have always said, that the importers are very sensitive to what people are saying about the knives they import. I don't even know for sure, who imports butterfly knives, and they want it that way. But when people complained about the hollow pins being junk, it was not to long before solid pins began to shop up in the butterfly knives.

But now it seems like everyone is complaining about everything except for the Taiwan made knives. I just checked with one of my suppliers and that is all they stock now, is the Taiwan made Butterfly Knife. They are offering a fantastic price on it, but still there is not much selection available.

There are a lot of butterfly knives available, made in Korea and China, but the big boys are just not taking a chance on them anymore, and I think it's because people are setting their standards to high and wanting to good of a quality knife.

Yes, the Taiwan is the best for people who want to flip it around a lot, and the price on it is fantastic. But a lot of other knives that may not be as solid and last as long, are still interesting and would make wonderful additions to people collections. But I think your going to see less and less of them, because they just don't hold up as well under a lot of use.

At this point about all we can do, is hope they get there act together over in Taiwan, and start to produce some different styles and designs for those of us who want to have more than just one style of butterfly knife in our collection.

Maybe what we need to do, is get them to come up with another style or design on the Taiwan made knives.

So lets hear it, if you could have a chance to design a butterfly knive and have them build it in Taiwan, what would you want to seem them build for you?

I would like to see a slim line knife. Or perhaps some different sizes, like a 4" or even a 3" handle. For me a 3" handle Taiwan made knife would be Ideal, because I could crank those puppies out on Ebay. Also, they are legal to carry and people would not have to leave them at home. Then maybe we could start a trend of people who actually carry butterfly knives with them. Thanks, JohnR7 www.BalisongKnife.com

If somebody just started producing a bali with the sturdiness of a Jag but with different handles, I'd shell out the bucks. I'd like to see some wooden inserts, some brass handles...etc.

I have a BM-42 now, so I have something to compare them with and I still love the Taiwan-made Jaguars. They're cheap, for one, but mostly because after a re-pinning they are strong as hell and handle nicely. Sure the latch doesn't work, but it is a cheap knife.

I'd also like to see some steel handles. If a Jag were made with steel handles, it would solve the problem with the blade wearing out the handles, thus having a workable latch. Also the paint/chrome/powder coatings that the companies use always chip or scratch eventually. Not a problem if you use a pure metal instead of cheap Zamak. No need for a coating.

>>If a Jag were made with steel handles, it would solve the problem with the blade wearing out the handles,

That must be what happened to the "new improved China" butterfly knives. I am told that right now they are listed as discontinued and they do not expect to be getting anymore tell further notice.

Those knives had a really great blade, and very nice pins, but the handle was very soft and the pin started to rounded out holes in the handle in the first week or so.

So, compared to the best of what is coming out of China, the Taiwan knives are still give you a lot of bang for your buck.

But we have a different program with Taiwan than we do with China. In the mainland, they just want our money. But Taiwan wants more than money, they want our weapons, so they can maintain their independence.

There are two big political issues between China and the USA: the human rights issue, and the Taiwan issue. China rejects the American concept of "human rights" that clogs up the court system with nonsense. In China they think more along the lines of human dignity than rights. I think all people should be treated with dignity and respect, because that makes everyone more noble. The better we treat people, the better off we are going to be. We can see that in Nazi Germany. When you start to see yourself as being better than others, you are setting yourself up for destruction.

But I am not sure how to go about getting people in the position of power and authority to treat others with respect and dignity. I think that you have to show them, that it makes them a better person. Thanks, JohnR7

[This message has been edited by JohnR7 (edited 03-19-2001).]

I would like to see more quality other than Jags. Maybe a 5" bowie 1/8" thick with real skeletonized handle (not die - cast), but milled from steel. We should aim for higher, maybe some class like Taylor/Seto ...

I also will be happy to have 3 inchers for daily carry and a solid spear point (double edge) 4" for backup.

Open handle with two tang pins will be great as it is easier to clean them, but again, handle quality is topmost.

Blade should be 440 minimum to enhance edge retention ...

Am I asking too much?

Handle vs tang suggestion: put rubber around the tang pin to help reducing the handle cup wear. The tang pin then has to have wider top than the part going through the blade to prevent the rubber coming off. It comes with extra rubber rings for replacement.

PS: John, ever ship to Indonesia successfully?

I'm still not particullarly partial to the wee-hawk ( I know, I know). I'd second a bowie type blade. Something with a deep belly and a decent working point.

Brass. It can be poured, but holds up better then the aluminum or zymak stuff.

Oh yea, cheap like the good ol' days.

>>We should aim for higher, maybe some class like Taylor/Seto ...

That is a different ball game. Seto is still in business but they raised their prices quite a bit on balisong knives.

I use to get some beautiful Taylor/Seto knives and sell them for around $15 each about 15 years ago.

I am still fighting Customs in the Federal Court system. If I can get a restraining order against them, then maybe we can start to bring some balisong knives in from Japan again.

I sent a Email to Seto to ask them if they would be willing to sell knives in parts so we could put them together here and I did not even get a response from them.

Maybe they don't think I have enough money or something and actually I don't right now, even if push came to shove I could only order maybe $5000 worth and that may not be a big enough order for them. Kinda hard to tell, when they don't answer your email.

Also, I tried to talk to Sal the president over at Spyderco, sense he does business with them over in Japan, to try and see if he could give me some pointers. But he did not answer my email either.

So, if anyone has a clue as to how to get the people over in Japan to even talk to us about buying knives from them, let me know.

As far as I know, if you do not have at least $100,000 to invest you may as well not even bother to try and talk to them. They live in a world different from the one we live in. They live in a world were million dollar boats do not impress people anymore and you have to own your own personal submarine if you really want to impress a customer. $5000 is chump change for them.

I think I'd like to see some different blades. The classic wee-hawk is always nice, but its a little too classic if you know what I mean. I'm a fan of Tantos. And I hate to suggest inserts on a production knife (I don't think it can be done well enough, at the low price they're sure to be).

And that's a real shame with all the customs and politics. I hate to think of all that we're missing because if it.

Keep trying, and good luck with ordering the knives from Japan. For me, selection of balis is fast becoming top priority.

------------------
~Dave

"One in the hand is worth two in the sheath"

Personaly I like the way Jags look. It would be nice if they could use some sort of stronger metal for handles but they are all right. I think it would be great to have a larger version of the the Jags(239 and 259). Like a 5 inch bladed one. Maybe thats just me and I know that these would be pretty heavy but I think it would be neat to have. Also what's wrong with the plastic inserts? I like them but I think that one of those full black Jags would look cool with red inserts or something. I'm weird and I have strange tastes but at least I hold an opinion. I may try to color my Jag inserts red.hhhhhmmmm......
biggrin.gif

------------------
I have a sword in my pocket!

I certainly wish Taylor/Seto would be allowed to export their knives over here, I'd buy a huge amount of them, I've heard such great things and they look good too.
frown.gif
Greedy bastids
frown.gif

That's another thing that pisses me off; when you email someone and they just ignore you and don't answer back. I understand that an email can slip through but when you send 15-20 emails (not exaggerating) and they don't respond that really frosts my cookies
wink.gif

------------------
Cameron

011.gif
"Look deep, deep inside and you will find a place of anger, vengeance, and brutality. Go there. It is your last hope to conquer the truly wicked."
uriel.gif

A few of my balisongs
My Photopoint album

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BalisongMan:
I understand that an email can slip through but when you send 15-20 emails (not exaggerating) and they don't respond that really frosts my cookies
wink.gif

</font>

Well, a large number of e-mails (15-20) does not necessarily equate to a higher proclivity of a person responding. I personally use my own "3 strikes and I'm out" rule. I never ask somebody for any the same thing more than three times. For example, I asked a buddy of mine to teach me how to drive a stick shift only three times--he gave me a different excuse every time, so I dropped it.

Email sometime can get delayed, like weeks (depending on the server that route it) as you know, internet basically is a 'jungle' and mail doesn't utilize the TCP protocol that confirms delivery

BUT: the chances of 3 mail got screwed up is like the chances of finding a bali in Mars. John, I guess they are really ignoring you ...
frown.gif

I guess as a courtesy, even if one doesn't have the answer, at least one can acknowledge it.

Back to the topics, yeah, a good strong handled for the Jags might be exactly the first step we all want to see (at least me) ..

BTW, I owned 3 balis made in Korea and I think they are more solid that the Taiwan rostfrei, with a better designed blade (bowie hollow ground).. and the edge retention is better in my experience

[This message has been edited by Chris Anagarika (edited 03-20-2001).]

Strange when I lived in Korea I never saw any Bali's. Then again I was only 9 and didnt have much of an interest yet. Does anyone know where to get Korean Bali's. I never see them anywhere.

------------------
I have a sword in my pocket!

I want good carbon steel blades. Something that will take an edge and hold it easily. The steel in most balisongs is not real good.

Back