Your 2018 Traditional Knife Of The Year

I couldn't pick between the three. So here are my two favorite production knives I picked up. Also a custom John Lloyd.

The first knife, my #77 Barlow. This thing had been in my pocket for about 4 months straight. It was super Ard to kick out of my pocket. With a beautiful clip point with a nice belly and an easy to sharpen sheepsfoot. Just an amazing combo that has seriously changed my mind on multiple bladed knives for the better!
Og20C4F.jpg

Second, the #44 gunstock. Again a first for me in a gunstock pattern. Love the huge clip point on this bad boy. The large pen blade is a big beautiful blade that's easy to get razor sharp. Plus the brass accents are amazing and are ageing nicely.
bTwhKZJ.jpg

Last but not least my John Lloyd, this thing is just perfect in every way. Disapears in the pocket razor sharp. Love the covers which are getting some cool character as well!
Obyp3Q6.jpg

I'm sorry, but the rules say only one. Now you'll have to send me two of those three knives to make amends. I don't make the rules, but I do hope to benefit by them!

This has been a very good year. It’s tough to pick one Knife of the Year, but here goes.

First of all there were a couple of knives that I didn’t expect to be thrilled with that have turned into real favorites.
The 56 is so easy to like.
8X8xhnM.jpg

Also the Gunstock was another very pleasant surprise.
8LdFpZ1.jpg

If I could choose two knives, then Jack’s gift to me would be a co-winner. It holds a special place in my heart.
heNDmpn.jpg

But objectively, all sentiments aside, it has to be the magnificent 77.

zc33zh0.jpg

So far, I still can't comment until the Forum Knife arrives, I might be able to get a GEC Dixie Stockman 82 and a Pen Possum Skinner variant so they could alter things. Plus any generous presents ;) But I think I know which one it will be....:D But let's hold off for a bit, hope to show or at least list them all.

Regards, Will

I'm sorry, but the rules say only one. Now you'll have to send me two of those three knives to make amends. I don't make the rules, but I do hope to benefit by them!

Joshua's right Taylor tmd_87 tmd_87 , same rule for everybody, ONE knife, not three :thumbsup:

"Also, and we always get a couple of these, you may be one of those indecisive folks who just can’t make your mind up. Maybe you have two, or three, or four knives you really like, and can’t decide which you like the best. If that applies to you, feel free to start another thread, because if ONE of those knives doesn’t stand out, it doesn’t deserve to be nominated for this one. By all means mention a number of knives, but in the end, YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE. If you can’t…on yer bike! ;)"

This has been a very good year. It’s tough to pick one Knife of the Year, but here goes.

First of all there were a couple of knives that I didn’t expect to be thrilled with that have turned into real favorites.
The 56 is so easy to like.
8X8xhnM.jpg

Also the Gunstock was another very pleasant surprise.
8LdFpZ1.jpg

If I could choose two knives, then Jack’s gift to me would be a co-winner. It holds a special place in my heart.
heNDmpn.jpg

But objectively, all sentiments aside, it has to be the magnificent 77.

zc33zh0.jpg

Beautiful photos my friend, and a kind thought :) That 77 has been very popular here, the wood is quite stunning :) :thumbsup:

Joshua's right Taylor tmd_87 tmd_87 , same rule for everybody, ONE knife, not three :thumbsup:

"Also, and we always get a couple of these, you may be one of those indecisive folks who just can’t make your mind up. Maybe you have two, or three, or four knives you really like, and can’t decide which you like the best. If that applies to you, feel free to start another thread, because if ONE of those knives doesn’t stand out, it doesn’t deserve to be nominated for this one. By all means mention a number of knives, but in the end, YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE. If you can’t…on yer bike! ;)"

Beautiful photos my friend, and a kind thought :) That 77 has been very popular here, the wood is quite stunning :) :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack. You’re the one who made the rules! I’m just forced to follow them.

Okay, okay fine Jack Black Jack Black ...

Drum roll please......

#77 two blade Barlow with the Clip point and sheepsfoot is my #1.

2018 saw more traditionals come and go for me than ever before. I think I finally zeroed in on what I prefer the most, and have started to accumulate multiples of my favorite patterns. I was able to snag a 77 in Elderberry that was quite attractive, a TC 15 Forum knife, a gaggle of clip point 14s, a few 85s, and my first Northwoods' (Big Bay and Hawthorne). Those all unfortunately have come and gone, since they all just didn't quite fit my interests. I don't have quite the collection that many of you do, but I will humbly submit these for consideration (and apologies in advance for the poor photography):

First my honorable mentions:

The 44 was a surprise for me, with its stout pull and excellent fit/finish. This knife kicked the 77 out of my collection actually. The Beer Scout is a perennial favorite that saw some serious carry time this year. My clip 15 is well-loved, slim carry with a beautiful clip blade. I picked up the 92 on the exchange, and I can't get enough of its snakewood. Alas, none of these are the knife of the year for me.

Probably my most carried knives this year:

Mike from CK has really nailed it with these guys. They are functional, attractive, and sport some super materials. As a reformed modern knife guy, these really hit a sweet spot for me, and thus I've started to accumulate them.

My 2017 knife of the year:

These came out just as 2017 was wrapping up, and we all know they rock. I had several of these pass through my hands this year, and these are the ones that are still in my collection. I sought out my first "grail" (for me) this year and snagged this one...

The Blue Camel 78 is a close runner up, but it's not my knife of the year.

This is my knife of 2018:

I love the slim, sleek lines of this Case Doctor's Knife. The stag handles are fantastic, and suit its role in history well. The Case bolster stamp is fantastic, and a nice touch on this one. Most importantly, this was a gift from my friends. I've carried and used it and enjoyed every minute of it. When I started this response, I thought the blue 78 would be my knife of the year. I thought more about it, and while the 78 rocks my socks off, it doesn't evoke the same feelings and appreciation that my doctor's knife does. If faced with having to part with one of the two, moving along the 78 would be an easy decision. Therefore, this is my knife of the year.

My 2018 knife of the year is the GEC 78. I definitely prefer the single blade version. The only one I have is the 78 with the golden brown jigging. It's super looking, feels great in you hand and feels good in the pocket. I do have two other 78s I'm looking for but they've been difficult to locate at a manageable price. It's the elderberry and the tortoise. I had an elderberry w/ two blades but sold it BC of the single blade preference. The color and jigging on the elderberry is BA.

IMG_9534.jpg IMG_9535.jpg IMG_8377.jpg

Jack,
My friend I absolutely loved the way you structured your op for this Thread, it has though made me scared as I find it VERY hard to say which ONE knife is the knife for this year!:eek:
I have my latest EDC rotation set out, it starts with your Ebony Lambs-foot, a Swamp Kauri 57 Wrangler, 13 Stag Whip, Stag 35 Churchill, Ebony 47 Hawk-bill, washing machine 77 Ebony North-field Barlow, MJ's Stag Barlow and a 72 Stag Lock-back.

Trying desperately to also include my last EDC which has been put away, and also the Knives that have been gifted ( if we are JUST talking this year ) to me for this year alone - this is really hard - let alone trying to decide the ultimate knife!!!
So it goes on my feelings when I pocket my knives in the start of the day, since I have received this Knife I have always carried this one along with one or two others, the others are special knives - as are some that I won't use for all sorts of different reasons........so for this year this knife for 2018 is this one....

vb7riZQ.jpg

aQirOMT.jpg

Sue and I go to our wee favourite cafe / Restaurant every week - the Waitress always says to me..."So Duncan...you have your Knife- you dont want our Steak Knife?" always with a laugh- she is always told - "I'm all good- got mine on me" - its that one of late ^^^

Particularly good contributions to this thread I think this year folks, thanks :thumbsup:

Okay, okay fine Jack Black Jack Black ...

Drum roll please......

#77 two blade Barlow with the Clip point and sheepsfoot is my #1.

Don't worry Taylor, I won't tell the other knives! ;) :D :thumbsup:

Jack,
My friend I absolutely loved the way you structured your op for this Thread, it has though made me scared as I find it VERY hard to say which ONE knife is the knife for this year!:eek:
I have my latest EDC rotation set out, it starts with your Ebony Lambs-foot, a Swamp Kauri 57 Wrangler, 13 Stag Whip, Stag 35 Churchill, Ebony 47 Hawk-bill, washing machine 77 Ebony North-field Barlow, MJ's Stag Barlow and a 72 Stag Lock-back.

Trying desperately to also include my last EDC which has been put away, and also the Knives that have been gifted ( if we are JUST talking this year ) to me for this year alone - this is really hard - let alone trying to decide the ultimate knife!!!
So it goes on my feelings when I pocket my knives in the start of the day, since I have received this Knife I have always carried this one along with one or two others, the others are special knives - as are some that I won't use for all sorts of different reasons........so for this year this knife for 2018 is this one....

vb7riZQ.jpg

aQirOMT.jpg

Sue and I go to our wee favourite cafe / Restaurant every week - the Waitress always says to me..."So Duncan...you have your Knife- you dont want our Steak Knife?" always with a laugh- she is always told - "I'm all good- got mine on me" - its that one of late ^^^

Lovely post Duncan, and a great choice my friend :) Nice to know that Lambsfoot gets some pocket time too :) "Washing Machine 77"! :D :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's it, the title says KNIFE of the year sing. not KNIVES pl. ;)

These rules must be enforced :D next time anybody tries to bend the rules then one knife will be chosen and ALL others shown sequestered and put up for a GAW :D:D:cool: Bring it on :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Duncan! I need to see this one if you have a pic: Swamp Kauri 57 Wrangler. The name has my interest. Thanks

I always enjoy this thread, the many wonderful knives showcased, but especially the thinking of each member as to why a given knife is perfect to them. This year is no exception.

My tastes run to the utilitarian; my 2018 Knife of the Year is this 1980 Case 3318 HE CV. I'm a longtime lover of the Case 18 pattern, owning a number of them, the pattern is also my favorite EDC. I bought this knife early last July as I had never owned an 18 with slick yellow handles and it is built with my favorite combination of the many blades available in Stockman knives - a Turkish Clip main with Sheepfoot and Pen secondaries. All in all this one represents the best of the 18 pattern in my mind, and the Case 18 is the best of the many Stockman out there for me. This used knife came with full blades, excellent fit and finish, great walk and talk, but was already stained, peppered, and worn a just bit - perfect to resist the urge to make it a safe queen. Been in my pocket more than any other and will for some time to come. OH

Case-3318-HE-CV-ten-dot.jpg

2018 saw more traditionals come and go for me than ever before. I think I finally zeroed in on what I prefer the most, and have started to accumulate multiples of my favorite patterns. I was able to snag a 77 in Elderberry that was quite attractive, a TC 15 Forum knife, a gaggle of clip point 14s, a few 85s, and my first Northwoods' (Big Bay and Hawthorne). Those all unfortunately have come and gone, since they all just didn't quite fit my interests. I don't have quite the collection that many of you do, but I will humbly submit these for consideration (and apologies in advance for the poor photography):

First my honorable mentions:

The 44 was a surprise for me, with its stout pull and excellent fit/finish. This knife kicked the 77 out of my collection actually. The Beer Scout is a perennial favorite that saw some serious carry time this year. My clip 15 is well-loved, slim carry with a beautiful clip blade. I picked up the 92 on the exchange, and I can't get enough of its snakewood. Alas, none of these are the knife of the year for me.

Probably my most carried knives this year:

Mike from CK has really nailed it with these guys. They are functional, attractive, and sport some super materials. As a reformed modern knife guy, these really hit a sweet spot for me, and thus I've started to accumulate them.

My 2017 knife of the year:

These came out just as 2017 was wrapping up, and we all know they rock. I had several of these pass through my hands this year, and these are the ones that are still in my collection. I sought out my first "grail" (for me) this year and snagged this one...

The Blue Camel 78 is a close runner up, but it's not my knife of the year.

This is my knife of 2018:

I love the slim, sleek lines of this Case Doctor's Knife. The stag handles are fantastic, and suit its role in history well. The Case bolster stamp is fantastic, and a nice touch on this one. Most importantly, this was a gift from my friends. I've carried and used it and enjoyed every minute of it. When I started this response, I thought the blue 78 would be my knife of the year. I thought more about it, and while the 78 rocks my socks off, it doesn't evoke the same feelings and appreciation that my doctor's knife does. If faced with having to part with one of the two, moving along the 78 would be an easy decision. Therefore, this is my knife of the year.

Is the 78 on the left appaloosa bone or maybe fronteer bone or some other type?

Is it that time of the year again already?! :confused: :D

It seems like this year has flown by. The first part of this year was so full of cross-country moving, house selling and house buying (and snow shoveling) that the acquiring of new knives sort of took a back seat. I picked up one or two here and there, but nothing that would make the short list for this thread.

Now, the second half of this year, I have been able to pick up some nice additions, so let's start with the honorable mentions and work our way up.

I picked up a few funky acrylics from GEC.

tZerv5Y.jpg

1dtn0F2.jpg

cZX9itj.jpg

The Dead Skunk #14 probably comes close to the No. 1 spot, but it's still a runner up.

I managed to pick up these two beautiful #15 Northfield Harness Jacks in one fell swoop on the exchange. Probably the nicest knives I picked up this year -- the fit and finish on these is superb, GEC at its best -- but to be honest, I can't choose between 'em, and since there can be only one, I guess they're out. :rolleyes:

TTD6Ktr.jpg

This #71 Bull Nose, a gift from @paulhilborn, certainly deserves mention. The #71 is one of my favorite GEC patterns, and I'd been regretting passing on this Burlap Micarta when they were produced, so when Paul surprised me by sending me this one after beating me to it on the exchange, I was thrilled! (Thank you again, Paul!)

ywUE98M.jpg

I almost missed out on the Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot, but got in an email to Jack at the last minute, and ended up with, I think, one of the best of the bunch!

xVlGo6I.jpg

iwu75Pn.jpg

The thing that really surprised me about the Ashley's Choice was the size. It's only slightly smaller than the other Guardian's knives (what I guess you would call Wright's "standard" size Lambsfoot), but that little bit makes all the difference for me. A very pocketable little beauty, this one. It might've had a shot at the top spot, but then...

Gslw6Mb.jpg

I mean, how can this one not be my No. 1 knife of 2018? Duncan ( Campbellclanman Campbellclanman ) lost this 2012 PPP TC Barlow years ago, only to have it turn up in the pocket of an old jacket, and (after jumping for joy, I'm sure) what does he do with it? He puts it up for grabs in a GAW here on the Porch!!! An incredible knife from an incredible guy. Thank you again, Duncan, for what is hand-down my best knife of 2018! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

VH1p9Wa.jpg

Back