Zomstro Wedding gift

Murphnuge

I told this story over in the BK&T subforum so I'll run a condensed version here. 1066Vik sent me and the new wife a couple sweet blades in the mail over the weekend. A Condor Kephart for her and Ka-Bar Zomstro for me! I'm a huge fan of cleaver styling so this one just jumped out at me. I didn't actually receive the package until after dark, so photos will wait until tomorrow, sorry. Of course, it will look the same as any other Zomstro off the shelf...until I have my way with it. I plan to strip the blade, maybe add some dark wood handles and who knows what else. I'll say it's an impressive piece as is, but I like to make them mine. She was shaving sharp right outta the box, so no edge work required.

Oh, while looking for modded Zomstros in google search I came across this review.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/reviews/ka-bar-zomstro-chopper/

He seemed taken with it as well. Anybody else mod a Zomstro yet?

Very nice of 1066! Both of the new ZK's this year look like home-runs. Enjoy the heck out of that Zomstro!

At BeckerWest I had a choice between the Zomstro or a BK5. I chose the 5 because well.....its a Becker. But I held the Zomstro and let me say, it is massive and impressive!

Murph, I got one for Fathers Day, took it to the woods and started chopping, its a bad a** beast. Gonna leave mine as is, I like the green! If you mod yours, post some pics. Arent many modded Zomstros out there yet.

me like it alot and congrats!!

Thank you!

I took a few glamour shots today before I stripped her clean.

2013-07-02_19-39-34_863_zpse09933a4.jpg

2013-07-02_19-43-10_422_zps186e34c2.jpg

2013-07-02_19-42-46_743_zpsd90222b8.jpg

2013-07-02_19-40-01_789_zps531a00d2.jpg

Keep us posted on the progress on the Zomstro mods Murph, I am looking forward to seeing how it comes out

Keep us posted on the progress on the Zomstro mods Murph, I am looking forward to seeing how it comes out

Well, my shop time is getting more frequent, but with all the orders it's kind of a back burner project. We got the plans halfway made and the knife is stripped so far. I will keep you posted on progress, but no more pix until I get it done.

i've a zomstro on review, and i've been letting people whack stuff with. have some logs in my future, but it's been raining for weeks (5-8 inches of rain)... and i get home around dark sometimes (10-12 hour days last week weeks)...

so review time has been hampered.

also want to get some review time on the piratety chopper of doom that is the swabbie

big, serious knives. so far, they chop nicely, and even probably could have a home at any farm processing animals all day and then some.

Ok, she's finished! I'm pretty happy with the way everything turned out. Todd not only donated the shop time and his advice, but he also made a pretty sweet sheath. Most of the mods are obvious, but there are a couple more subtle changes. The first is we removed the finger groove on the handle. Next, we moved the top thumb rest a little more gradual, then went ahead and re profiled the top of the blade while we had it on the grinder. This was done mainly for uniformity in finish . The handle is curly maple and the rattler skin is a Western Diamondback So here's the pix!

Again, thanks to Vik(1066vik) for the great gift and thanks Todd(TMHunt) for the help making it mine!

That's great work there Murph! After having come across some old cleavers recently, the Zomstro is growing on me. That one is just incredible, though.

Holy crap, that turned out awesome! 1066vik, you're a generous man. I had no idea that blade was that big.

I agree, the handle is my favorite! the wood is very nice looking.

I have to say i really like the looks of the lanyards you guys use as well, Can i ask what the bead is made of?

I agree, the handle is my favorite! the wood is very nice looking.

I have to say i really like the looks of the lanyards you guys use as well, Can i ask what the bead is made of?

Deer antler scraps. they take me about 3mins. to make. gotta pile of them.

Awesome man, I thought it looked like antler or bone. I love them with the leather like that, looks more authentic and earthy than paracord lanyards.

Back