ZT 0450 vs BM Bugout vs BM Mini Crooked River

Knifeaddict556

Gold Member
I am looking to buy a new knife and have narrowed it down to a these and a few others. These three have peaked my interest along with maybe a g10 Griptilian and spydiechef. All of the knives listed will be about the same price because i will add a cf scale for the Bugout making it $200 along with most of the others. I owned a 940-1501 that I sold for some extra cash and because the slim handle didn't fit my hand well so I went back to my PM2 for the widder handle. I miss the axis lock and want another. I have never tried a ZT but I have tried a WE and the action on it is great. The knife will mostly be used for edc. Would love to hear your opinions. Thanks!

Do you mean the 0450CF or the titanium? I prefer the titanium as I don’t like the black blade on the CF. The Bugout with CF scales sounds interesting. I can tell you that my 0450 is easily the sweetest flipper I own and that includes a 0460 and a 0609. It fires like a rocket.

Yes sorry I forgot to specify. I am thinking about the titanium version as the all black does not interest me either. Though I probably would buy a carbon fiber scale for the 0450.

Any reason you dismissed the Benchmade 531? It is very close to the Bugout but has stiffer scales. Look at the REI exclusive model. Same steel as the Bugout but a little more money. Would cost you less than the Bugout and CF scales though.

The 0450 is super slim like the 940. Sound like you would love the full size grip... I have all 3

Not saying that to sound like I'm somebody I'm not. I just actually saved and picked all three blades you mentioned over time

Though how does it compare to a the 0460 and 0609?

In terms of flipping action, the 0460 detent is a bit stronger. The 0609 has a different feel. It’s a bulkier knife with a longer, heavier and wider blade. It’s detent is considerably stronger than the other two.

That's a really tough decision. I own a Bugout, 0450cf and a full size CR and will own a mini CR soon.

They are all amazing knives but for my office EDC the Bugout is the one that finds the most pocket time. Just get all three, lol.

Bugout all the way! I do plan on getting a Mini Crooked River as soon as they offer it on the custom shop and/or they offer a grey G10 version, but it will just be a backup option. My Bugout has been carried every single day since I bought it last year so that’s my obvious recommendation.

ZT0450, 100%. I also own the 0450CF & 0460. I tend to carry the CF version the most, followed by the 0450, and then the 0460.

I only have the mini crooked river of this bunch, but I really like it.

The looks are classic. The handle is quite comfortable. The action is typical for a smooth axis lock. The steel is good, and the blade stock thin enough to be a good slicer, without being at all flimsy. It’s people friendly, more “hunt” than “tactical”.

It’s also sized right. It’s right in a sweet spot, the “medium Sebenza” size that people often ask for, but does not yet exist. (Really made me want to ship one to Anne Reeve to see if she’d like the size.)

The niggles I have about it are easily solved. Loosen the clip tension a bit by bending it. Sand a tiny sharp edge on a scale where it meets the bolster.

Back