ZT 0620 weak detent?

Been having an issue with my 0620, namely that it does not want to stay shut.

I had it open in the pocket and give me a decent finger slice one time at a bar, sent it to ZT telling them the tale. Got it back with seemingly no change except the pivot was tightened to where opening and closing action were just excruciating. Naturally I worry about this as in NC gravity knives are named in statute as illegal. So do y'all have any recommended fixes? Are cops ornery enough to make that definition stretch?

Also my first thread so cheers!

Been having an issue with my 0620, namely that it does not want to stay shut.

I had it open in the pocket and give me a decent finger slice one time at a bar, sent it to ZT telling them the tale. Got it back with seemingly no change except the pivot was tightened to where opening and closing action were just excruciating. Naturally I worry about this as in NC gravity knives are named in statute as illegal. So do y'all have any recommended fixes? Are cops ornery enough to make that definition stretch?

Also my first thread so cheers!

I don’t know about NC cops but most won’t consider a knife that can be shaken out of the handle a gravity knife, that is unless you are in New York.

Try cleaning out the hole in the blade the detent ball falls into. You don’t even have to disassemble the knife. If you watch the space just above the lockbar and open the knife part way you can see the hole for the detent at a certain position. Try using a metal pin to see if there is any gunk in there.

Make sure the detent ball hasnt been pushed into the lockbar. Or fallen out. The detent hole may be clogged as mentioned above. My guess is if the detent hole is clean then the detent ball is the problem.

Send it back to ZT and let them fix it.

Thats the thing, I did and they didn’t fix it.

But I also made sure the hole was clean, and I can see/feel that the detent ball is there. There’s a weird little short torx screw on the lockbar behind the detent but adjusting it hasn’t yielded anything.

Thats the thing, I did and they didn’t fix it.

But I also made sure the hole was clean, and I can see/feel that the detent ball is there. There’s a weird little short torx screw on the lockbar behind the detent but adjusting it hasn’t yielded anything.

That's the screw attaching your lock bar insert. It'll yield no results in this situation.

I'd contact ZT's customer service and express my dissatisfaction with my previous service. You should be addressed appropriately.

That's the screw attaching your lock bar insert. It'll yield no results in this situation.

I'd contact ZT's customer service and express my dissatisfaction with my previous service. You should be addressed appropriately.

Just sent them a message...about 50/50 pleasant and insistent haha. If this gets resolved within my memory abilities I’ll report how this comes out. I do love the knife, or rather the knife it could be.

Not sth I would recommend everyone to do but how about bending the lockbar inward a bit? It sounds the lockbar does not have enough tension to hold the blade in place securely.

File another warranty claim.

My buddy lost his detent completely on his but he likes it like that lol.

Just bend the lockbar in slightly to give yourself more detent. I do it all the time to my knives, and it's no different from what they should do at the factory if they determine it needs more detent.

Just bend the lockbar in slightly to give yourself more detent. I do it all the time to my knives, and it's no different from what they should do at the factory if they determine it needs more detent.
I’d rather have them do it, hate to botch it and just be out a knife entirely.

I am curious on the response from customer service for your second try.

I sent in a Clash to Kershaw/Kai and asked for a new blade and provided payment info. They instead ground the existing one and sent it back with a note that said “ customer attempted to sharpen, regrind and return”.
I asked for a new blade because I had used it so much the blade was worn substantially. They removed even more blade stock.

I also sent a Dividend in the had a blade that was obviously bent. They sent it back as is stating “Knife is fine”.

I have a Leek in 154cm Carbon Fiber that is currently in transit to Kershaw due to a very weak speedsafe and dangerously early lock up. This is my third attempt at their service and I’m hoping the first two were flukes.

I understand these are not ZT level quality knives, but I was a little disappointed nonetheless.

*NOTE* I am in no way bashing the company, and I totally understand due to the sheer volume that these things happen. I just thought I’d share my experience.

Last edited:
I’d rather have them do it, hate to botch it and just be out a knife entirely.

No way would you botch it. You just put a tiny amount of additional bend into the lockbar then put it back together again. I guarantee you that it's well within your ability to do by hand in 10 minutes. You won't go too far, and if you somehow do then you take the lockbar insert off, tweak it back, and start over.

I am curious on the response from customer service for your second try.

I sent in a Clash to Kershaw/Kai and asked for a new blade and provided payment info. They instead ground the existing one and sent it back with a note that said “ customer attempted to sharpen, regrind and return”.
I asked for a new blade because I had used it so much the blade was worn substantially. They removed even more blade stock.

I also sent a Dividend in the had a blade that was obviously bent. They sent it back as is stating “Knife is fine”.

I have a Leek in 154cm Carbon Fiber that is currently in transit to Kershaw due to a very weak speedsafe and dangerously early lock up. This is my third attempt at their service and I’m hoping the first two were flukes.

I understand these are not ZT level quality knives, but I was a little disappointed nonetheless.

*NOTE* I am in no way bashing the company, and I totally understand due to the sheer volume that these things happen. I just thought I’d share my experience.

Well the day has come that the knife has returned. As I feared the problem isn't remedied, the blade still comes out when shaken. They sharpened it (aka just took my edge off for no reason) and put a new pivot in since mine was looking ugly from my adjusting it with pliers. I just don't understand why they won't listen to what I'm telling them? This is such a quandry because I adore my other ZT knife and their blades in general. Maximum sigh.

Well the day has come that the knife has returned. As I feared the problem isn't remedied, the blade still comes out when shaken. They sharpened it (aka just took my edge off for no reason) and put a new pivot in since mine was looking ugly from my adjusting it with pliers. I just don't understand why they won't listen to what I'm telling them? This is such a quandry because I adore my other ZT knife and their blades in general. Maximum sigh.
Open up another email and return it again. Same thing happens to other manufacturers too. Rather annoying

Been my experience as well. Ignore what I sent the knife in for, do some other shit I didn't want :confused:

Back