ZT0560 vs CRK Umnumzaan?

Just wondering how the users around here feel, in terms of a defensive knife that can also be used as edc.
I don't mind a bigger knife for edc, so weight and size are pretty irrelevant.

1. Cheaper
  2. Bigger, beefier blade
  3. ELMAX steel (better for SD situations)
  4. Faster deployment
  5. Better grip

Umnumzaan
  1. S35VN steel (better for edc)
  2. full titanium (more aesthetic than anything)
  3. thumbstuds designed with rubber stoppers, less wear for edc
  4. blade better for piercing
  5. Better services by CRK, can refinish entire knife for a price

In terms of self defense, the 0560 can be opened way faster than the Zann. Blade steel for EDC- ELMAX is better in every category. Comfort- I think the Zann has a more comfortable handle. The 0560 has sharp corners. Perhaps with some sanding they would be equal.

I've read in several places ELMAX doesn't hold an edge well, rather is more resistant to chipping, breaking, etc. Most people I've spoken to are unhappy with it for some reason and prefer s30v/s35v

I have a few questions for you, why do you believe that elmax is better for SD situations, and s35vn better for edc? Also Kershaw/ZT customer service is excellent, I've never had a CRK so I cant speak for them. I'm flipping my 0560 right now, and I'm sure it could do some damage in a SD situation, but I would not carry it as a self defense knife , and as far as the Umnumzaan, I wouldn't carry a SD defense knife made out of titanium but that's just me I'd rather have g-10 if i were to carry a knife for SD.

I would go with one of these, I have trusted my life to Emerson's before wouldn't hesitate to do it again

Emerson Collection.jpg not trying to hijack your thread, just showing you more options, I can take pics of my 560 too :D

I would go with one of these, I have trusted my life to Emerson's before wouldn't hesitate to do it again

View attachment 276321 not trying to hijack your thread, just showing you more options, I can take pics of my 560 too :D

I have previously owned several emersons, however I have not used them for EDC so I would not know how that chisel ground 154cm edge would hold up to a lot of use...If I were to get one I'd get a CQC8 once again- though it tends to tear up pants pretty well so I don't know if it would be ideal for constant use at work.

As for your question, I would think Elmax would be better for SD because it is less prone to snapping or breaking, if your blade happens to miss its mark or hit a bone, you don't have to have 2 inches of blade to work with. Harder steels tend to be more brittle.

Elmax is much nicer than S35VN. That being said, the Umnumzaan is just a really nice knife. If you're new to knives you might not appreciate how precisely the Umnumzaan is built, but if you've handled and used a lot of knives it really is something remarkable. You can't go wrong with either of them, but the Umnumzaan is just a work of art. For purely utilitarian purposes, I'd go with the ZT.

I don't think you should be using your SD blade for EDC role. You want the SD tool sharp as possible, just a thought.

Steel doesnt matter much in sd usage. Also im pretty sure s35vn is a very tough steel so it might be better suited for sd while elmax would be the better edc steel. I hope someone with knowledge can clarify this because im just going off random info.

The 0560 deploys much faster and easier than the zaan but I think the zaan is better in every other category. I also feel that the umnumzaan is a more robust design because its stronger at the pivot and lockbar cutout. The 0560/1 opens incredibly smoothly but has this irritating squeaky noise when opening and closing. I got rid of my 0561 in favor of the zaan for all of these reasons.

I don't particularly want to carry two knives to work, and apparently I'm not allowed to conceal carry a handgun there either

Don't base your choice solely on steels, but I cannot imagine who would prefer s35vn over ElLMAX. ELMAX is in a different league from my usage.

But, with that said, I would get the 0560 as I'm not the biggest fan of Chris Reeve Knives. Also, if you flip open your ZT and it gets some blade play/lock rock, they will actually fix it for you.:p

What difference would Elmax make when stabbing or getting stabbed? Will it hurt more/less than S30V? I'm confused.

I've never owned a zaan but have had 3 large sebenza's, a zt 560 and 561. I like them both but if I had to choose one I think i'd go for the 56x. Based on price, ergo's and steel you can't beat it.

What difference would Elmax make when stabbing or getting stabbed? Will it hurt more/less than S30V? I'm confused.

As I have said previously, Elmax is less prone to snapping and breaking. If you for some reason hit something hard with your knife, or it goes in a wall or the ground for whatever reason, it has less of a chance of snapping in half than do harder steels.

Both steels will feel the same when getting stabbed, I'm sure.

Yea snowcrash I got your cqc-10 remember?? Not trying to get off track but I use my emersons everyday at work, The chisel grind is just as sharp as any knife I've owned, it doesn't slice as well as say a spyderco with a ffg, but the 0560 doesn't slice that well either, I would get the 0560, if those are the two knives you've got your heart set on, at least with the zt u have a g-10 slab, hate to be in a SD situation and your hand come off that slippery TI handle and you end up cutting your hand worse than you hurt your attacker.

I have both and I'd choose the 560 to carry for defense. It's a lot faster to open and the grip is better. The steel wouldn't matter at all, to me. Lock-up is fine on the ZT, but it's not as tightly fitted as the CRK knives, you just don't see that level of precision on lesser priced knives, IMO. (by the way my 560 doesn't make any noise when I close it, it made a very slight noise at first but now it doesn't)

Hey Allen, been a while since I've dropped by here. Nice to see you still around.

Alright so now the tie is between the 0560 and Spyderco Gayle Bradley (which is clearly not an sd knife, just a nice office edc knife).

Just have to decide whether to spend $130 or $260

Then again I could just get a CQC8 again......I hate it how I thought I was finally over knives, and then I noticed the 0560 came out and is all the rage, and suddenly my knife drive is up and running again. There go my first two paychecks....

As I have said previously, Elmax is less prone to snapping and breaking. If you for some reason hit something hard with your knife, or it goes in a wall or the ground for whatever reason, it has less of a chance of snapping in half than do harder steels.

Both steels will feel the same when getting stabbed, I'm sure.

Chris Reeve's s35vn is run at 58-59 and is not going to snap.

Back