1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

zt0566 vs spyderco southward

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by tuckerone1, Sep 12, 2014.

1. tuckerone1

tuckerone1

Jun 15, 2014
    Hey,
    I need to here from anyone who has had the opportunity to handle either or both of these models.
    I'm looking for a better end,heavier,hard use EDC. I've researched both models via the Internet but I can't seem to get an idea of their fit n'finish, pocket carry ability, blade deployment and such. As always, any input regarding this thread will be greatly appreciated.

Also give me the scoop on the blade steels with respect to their performance in moist or wet conditions.

Regards,

cH

2. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    The Southard has some higher end touches like a titanium lockside and ball bearing pivot, but the 0566 is just an awesome workhorse of a knife.

Southard is lighter, and the hollow ground blade might not make it the best choice for heavier use. That's not to take anything away from it. It has a reputation for being an excellent knife.

But for hard use EDC, as you put it, I would side with the ZT. It's less expensive, still made in the USA, and boasts an outstanding warranty. It's an assisted opening knife, which some don't like, but you can easily de-assist it and run it like a true manual flipper on phosphor bronze washers. The flat ground, drop point blade is a Hinderer design and that man knows a little something about hard use knives. The stainless steel lockside make it a tad heavier, but I doubt you would even notice it. It's thin in the pocket and has a 4-way positionable deep carry clip. The Southard doesn't.

In the end, they're both great knives made by great manufacturer's. Best of luck on your choice.

3. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    A couple of older pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. fuzzynuk

fuzzynuk

Jul 17, 2014
    I have the 0566 but not the spydie so I can only speak for it
    There is nothing I don't like about this knife, once it was deassisted. Perfect edc size for me at least. Good luck up fit and finish isn't bad. Elmax is pretty good in my opinion too. Ergos aren't bad with the blade. It has some jumping which is just a little sharp but not bad. Deep carry clip. The clip side smooth makes pocket carry easy. Its a pretty decent knife

5. EDCanAdamas

EDCanAdamas

Sep 8, 2013
    The ZT 0566 is my EDC. Its the perfect size, not too big or small. The ELMAX steel is perhaps the most rust/water resistant I have ever carried. My 0566 has gotten wet and been in damp conditions without so much as any discoloration before it was wiped down.

You won't be disappointed by the fit and finish of the ZT 0566. The G10 is tasteful and not overly aggressive, and ZT choose to use a black low carry clip, so the non-knife liking public won't see it easily. The blade is also stonewashed to the point that you can't see any new scratches.

Full disclosure: I have never handled a Southard. The Southard seems expensive for what it is ($260). I also don't like the "intergral lock" the southard. I have seen pictures of Southards on this forum that broke from simple whittling (this problem might have been fixed, so feel free to correct me here:confused:)

OP, my vote is for the ZT 0566. It will do everything the Southard can do for half the price and its better looking :D

6. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Aug 22, 2002
    They are both frame locks. The Southard uses a hidden stop pin.

7. EChoil

EChoil Banned BANNED

May 22, 2014
    ZT for hard use. Southward for slacks and hors d'ouvres...

Both good knives.

8. Daniel Dorn

Daniel Dorn Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 1999
    I just recently picked up a Southard. It's no Namby Pamby knife! It's solid, and will handle anything the ZT will. I prefer the high hollow grind on the Southard, as it makes a better slicer than my ZT 0550. If you call it a gentleman's knife, then you would have to call a Small Sebenza the same, as the dimensions are comparable.

Only problem with the Southard is that clip. It is one position, and leaves too much knife exposed above the pocket. Of course that's not a problem to all.

9. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Sir, the Large Sebenza is nearly the same physical blade-length and grip-length as the Southard. NOT the small...it has a grip that is less than 4" and it is much too small for me to use.

10. wvriverats

wvriverats

Nov 21, 2008
    I had a 0566 and a Southard, ended up trading the Southard for a blackwash 0566. Personally the 0566 just feels better in my hand. I like the assist, but am starting to get over it, as I have a pile of torsion bars here that ZT has sent me that I cannot get to work. It is much slimmer in the pocket, although heavier than the Southard. I'm afraid that the 0562 is the knife that I have been searching for, all along!

11. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    ZT 0566:

Overall Length: 7.70"
    Blade Length: 3.50"
    Weight: 5.4 ounces

Large Sebenza:

Overall Length: 8.33"
    Blade Length: 3.62"
    Weight: 4.7 ounces

Spyderco Southard:

Overall Length: 7.96"
    Blade Length: 3.46"
    Weight: 4.1 ounces

Small Sebenza:

Overall Length: 6.87"
    Blade Length: 2.94"
    Weight: 2.9 ounces

12. spketch

spketch

Jan 28, 2011
    I've had several of each and prefer the southard by a large margin. Nothing wrong with the 0566, just felt too heavy for its size in my opinion.
    If I wanted to get a knife to really abuse and beat the hell out of, I'd go with the ZT since they have a blade replacement program. Any normal use I'd pick the southard every time.

A couple points, the southard is not a $260, it can be had for $200 new if you look around.
    Also, AFAIK there are not pictures of several southards that broke from light tasks. There were pictures of one single southard that broke, almost certainly because of an manufacturing defect. I believe it was replaced with a new one immediately.

The hidden stop pin design is used in many knives. If it were a weak design we would see a lot more of them breaking. Don't let that sway you.

13. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Both are fine knives. The fit and finish on the Southard is better imo. The blade steel on the Southard is better for edge retention. The 566 seems to be a little more robust, but the Southard is a very strong knife in a lighter package.

14. wilazn

wilazn

Sep 9, 2014
    I love my Southard. Very smooth flipper, and it's the perfect edc size for me.

15. Pilot1

Pilot1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2005
    I have a Southard, but not a 0566. I have an 0560, and 0551, but they are larger knives. The Southard is a jewel and a very easy knife to carry as it is small, and light, but has a nice blade length for its small size. If you prefer a smaller, lighter knife, the Southard is for you. I have to admit, I take mine with me a lot, and I am a huge ZT fan.

16. Stainz

Stainz

Jun 24, 2007
    I'll compare the USA-made PM-2 (camo) to the ZT-0566 - they run about the same cost 'on the street' - and I have them (I don't normally care for imported Spydies!). While the PM-2's S30V blade is thicker, it is slightly shorter, cutting edge-wise, and more pointy than the 0566's ElMax blade, which is more drop point like. The thicker G10 sides of the PM-2 contain a thin and skeletonized SS liner and a thin liner lock, while the SS Hinderer limit equipped frame lock and thick other side - with a properly 'sticky' G10 scale attached. The fit and finish is equivalent for the pair, with the open blade hand hold being slightly more comfortable for my medium+ sized hands with the PM-2. Additionally, that extra SS liner and side thickness adds up - the 0566 is heavier than the PM-2 (... and the larger Ti-framelock 0551's I wanted to replace with something smaller!). Both knives clips - and the assist spring in the 0566 - were easily removed. The 0566 is a super smooth 'flipper' now... actually smoother than the PM-2. Both arrived nearly scarey sharp. As to favorite steels, I have to say, "Yes!". S30V was my favorite... until I 'discovered', thanks to Boker then Benchmade, the Bohler super steels (N690, m390, ElMax, etc). All similar in edge-holding - but the S30V seems harder and more arduous to keep up. My favorite of the pair is the 0566... however...

Last summer, my loving bride gifted me a ZT-0777 from our local sharp thing emporium, having finally saved the $600 (MSRP) + s/t for it. I was shocked... I had seen the prototypes at the BLADE shows, deciding then it 'wasn't for me'. Too much money... and bling. Neat shape of a kinife, however. With her blessing, I sold it. Skip ahead to this summer - money is tighter these days. No knife purchases since last fall. My wife permitted me to purchase both a ZT-566 and a 0770CF, at a total local cost just over a third of the 0777 from last summer, as this year's birthday present. Upon arriving home, I removed the clips and assist springs - great improvement. The 0770CF, identical in shape/size, excepting the sculpted CF scales of the 0777 (I took pictures of it to prove - to myself - I once owned a 0777!), is the keeper here. Similar cost to the PM-2 and 0566 - lighter by far than either - a great pocket carry. The same thickness as the also ElMax blade of the 0566, it is like a swept Wharncliffe-type blade in the 0770CF. It's thumb jimping is softened - and on the blade's spine as opposed to mainly on the handle, like the 0566. The PM-2's jimping is sharp and upswept, making it the least comfortable to use of the trio. The 0770CF is by far my favorite; the PM-2 happens to be my least favorite Spyderco - I actually carry my CF Dodo's more often!

Stainz

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  17. EDCanAdamas

EDCanAdamas

Sep 8, 2013
    I kind of figured that was the case, thanks for clearing things up. Spyderco is not the kind of company that would produce a defective design. :thumbup: