“Alone in the Wilderness”

Great Film! I'm a serious log-cabin-junkie and watching Dick build is a joy. There are actually three videos out. The first one, Alone in the Wilderness, is my favorite. The second, Alaska, Silence & Solitude, has a crew going back to Dick's cabin with him and interviewing him there. Some of Dick's original footage is interspersed. We just received the third film, The Frozen North. I haven't had the chance to watch it or add it to our library.

The book, One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey, was also quite enjoyable.

-- FLIX

Great Film! I'm a serious log-cabin-junkie and watching Dick build is a joy. There are actually three videos out. The first one, Alone in the Wilderness, is my favorite. The second, Alaska, Silence & Solitude, has a crew going back to Dick's cabin with him and interviewing him there. Some of Dick's original footage is interspersed. We just received the third film, The Frozen North. I haven't had the chance to watch it or add it to our library.

The book, One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey, was also quite enjoyable.

-- FLIX

Thanks for the heads up on the other videos! I hand no idea that they existed. I'll have to see if I they have them at the library (that's where I found the first one) or eventually buy my own copies of all three.

Hey Doc!
His website faq ( http://www.huntflix.com/faq.php )
says
"Are there any places you won't ship to?

We only ship within the United States, which at this time includes APO and FPO addresses."
Kinda sucks as there are lots of cool videos there.
:grumpy:

Thanks th, I asked the question without checking his website. No worries, I have a lot of the videos anyway. BTW, how did the video work out?

Doc

Doc & theoliver,

We cannot ship our rentals outside of the US, but will ship items purchased. We are working on launching a Canadian affiliate, and are researching whether there would be sufficient interest to launch in the UK.

-- FLIX

There is a second book (with a chance at more), this one is put out by the NPS and has his journals from 1974-1980. It is called "More Readings from One Man's Wilderness, The journals of Richard L. Proenneke 1974-1980" ISBN 978-0160729942.

There is a second book (with a chance at more), this one is put out by the NPS and has his journals from 1974-1980. It is called "More Readings from One Man's Wilderness, The journals of Richard L. Proenneke 1974-1980" ISBN 978-0160729942.

Sunshaker, thanks for that tidbit! I'll have to pick More Readings from One Man's Wilderness up.

I wtched the third film, The Frozen North, last night. I think today we would call it a video blog. Most of it is small segments of Dick's footage from his 16mm camera with his commentary. Topics range from cooking sourdough bread to the hibernation patterns of the big brown bears that were his neighbors. Now my wife is SURE my evil plan is to mover her to Alaska!

-- FLIX

I have never read the books and have only seen alone in the wilderness. Did it ever mention what happened to his family during all this time. I believe he sent his films to a brother in california

Thanks th, I asked the question without checking his website. No worries, I have a lot of the videos anyway. BTW, how did the video work out?

Doc
A buddy of mine took a loan of it about a day after it i got it.lol!
I finally got it back this week! I watched the Man of the Wilderness section earlier this week and plan on watching the rest tonight after supper and/or tomorrow. Quality looks good!
:thumbup:

Back