🇸🇪 Hunter fined $2000

baxtrom

Basic Member
So we have this recent case in Sweden where a hunter forgot his knife on his belt (or in a pocket) while in the car picking his kid up from some activity.

Stopped by the police for some routine control, he was honest when the officer asked if he had any knives with him.

He was fined approximately $2000 for carrying an EKA swing blade hunter’s knife.

This is btw a questionable implementation of the Swedish knife law.

It’s even worse here in Italy, they can fine you €1000 to €10k and put you in jail from six months to two years if you don’t have a lawful excuse for even carrying a sak. All the while corruption among politicians is rampant and mobsters rule the country or get to live their whole lives without getting punished or jailed, unless they literally ask for it.

So we have this recent case in Sweden where a hunter forgot his knife on his belt (or in a pocket) while in the car picking his kid up from some activity.

Stopped by the police for some routine control, he was honest when the officer asked if he had any knives with him.

He was fined approximately $2000 for carrying an EKA swing blade hunter’s knife.

This is btw a questionable implementation of the Swedish knife law.

Where did that happen?

I saw plenty people carrying knives when i lived in Västernorrland. Always openly carried a Mora or Hultafors, never had a problem.

But i lived in a tiny village at the coast with very little police presence...

Where did that happen?

I saw plenty people carrying knives when i lived in Västernorrland. Always openly carried a Mora or Hultafors, never had a problem.

But i lived in a tiny village at the coast with very little police presence...

I believe this was in Eskilstuna (hometown of EKA), and although I imagine legislation is enforced much less strictly in the north this also stands out, I wonder if there was some form of altercation or if the officer was a paragraph cowboy, or both

Any country that has a "lawful purpose" knife law poses this risk. Like where I am.
While it may not pressed so hard except where a knife was used in a crime, there is a lot of
leeway in the hands of the individual LEO. Here a friend of mine just got a "warning".
I am sure this Swedish hunter would have had no issues carrying his knife at the hunt site, or on him on the way going hunting
or coming home.

Swedish Law:
"It is prohibited for anyone to have a knife, stabbing weapon, cutting weapon or other dangerous object with them in a public place, in areas around schools, or in vehicles in a public place, unless having such a weapon may be considered justified or appropriate under the circumstances."

I believe this was in Eskilstuna (hometown of EKA), and although I imagine legislation is enforced much less strictly in the north this also stands out, I wonder if there was some form of altercation or if the officer was a paragraph cowboy, or both

Probably a rookie cop...

These knife laws make no sense, it's not like criminals obey them.

I hope the hunter gets a lawyer.

This is the knife in question:

g3-orange-open.jpg

Any country that has a "lawful purpose" knife law poses this risk. Like where I am.
While it may not pressed so hard except where a knife was used in a crime, there is a lot of
leeway in the hands of the individual LEO. Here a friend of mine just got a "warning".
I am sure this Swedish hunter would have had no issues carrying his knife at the hunt site, or on him on the way going hunting
or coming home.

Swedish Law:
"It is prohibited for anyone to have a knife, stabbing weapon, cutting weapon or other dangerous object with them in a public place, in areas around schools, or in vehicles in a public place, unless having such a weapon may be considered justified or appropriate under the circumstances."

The Swedish knife legislation (1988:254) and its interpretation is not a trivial matter I would say. There are court rulings saying that police officers should interpret the law with “generosity”, and there is for example a case when a Swedish lady who had a butterfly knife with her to Arlanda airport was acquitted because she claimed she used it for cutting fruit, and it could not be ruled out (I believe she was a peaceful librarian😊).

The direct translation of the Swedish knife law states that “knives … and other objects intended to be used as weapons in crime against life and health may not be carried in public areas”. The sentence may be interpreted as allowing knives to be carried unless the intention is to hurt or threaten someone. Also, the Swedish police website until very recently stated that they will overlook “normal usage of pocket knives and multi tools”.

I carry pocket knives but never fixed blades. That’s my personal interpretation of what is reasonable to carry.

Probably a rookie cop...

g3-orange-open.jpg
I believe carrying anything larger than a small key ring knife (say a Vic SD) when out drinking on Friday night is probably unwise and something a cop would crack down on, in most other settings allowing “normal use of pocket knives and multi tools” sounds reasonable, this is how it was stated on the Swedish police website until very recently…

The Swedish knife legislation (1988:254) and its interpretation is not a trivial matter I would say. There are court rulings saying that police officers should interpret the law with “generosity”, and there is for example a case when a Swedish lady who had a butterfly knife with her to Arlanda airport was acquitted because she claimed she used it for cutting fruit, and it could not be ruled out (I believe she was a peaceful librarian😊).

The direct translation of the Swedish knife law states that “knives … and other objects intended to be used as weapons in crime against life and health may not be carried in public areas”. The sentence may be interpreted as allowing knives to be carried unless the intention is to hurt or threaten someone. Also, the Swedish police website until very recently stated that they will overlook “normal usage of pocket knives and multi tools”.

I carry pocket knives but never fixed blades. That’s my personal interpretation of what is reasonable to carry.
Sounds far more liberal and reasonable than the text from the Swedish Police Authority website.
Although a butterfly knife in an airport for fruit blows my mind.
Wonder what happened with the hunter who got fined.

Probably a rookie cop...

g3-orange-open.jpg
It’s the same thing with guns. Nanny states and totalitarian regimes converge in their common hatred and contempt over guns, making them hard to get and illegal for self defense to “discourage crime”, while all they do is take them away from law abiding citizens. The criminals will still have them because they don’t respect the law regardless, so what you have in these countries is armed criminals and unarmed civilians, who are discouraged from defending themselves, their loved ones and their property, and even punished if they do so, and all of this thanks to politicians’ will, which violate the individual’s bodily and material integrity, by penalising him in his means, or the lack thereof, to preserve such things, and punishing him for trying to uphold his freedom.

It’s the same thing with guns. Nanny states and totalitarian regimes converge in their common hatred and contempt over guns, making them hard to get and illegal for self defense to “discourage crime”, while all they do is take them away from law abiding citizens. The criminals will still have them because they don’t respect the law regardless, so what you have in these countries is armed criminals and unarmed civilians, who are discouraged from defending themselves, their loved ones and their property, and even punished if they do so, and all of this thanks to politicians’ will, which violate the individual’s bodily and material integrity, by penalising him in his means, or the lack thereof, to preserve such things, and punishing him for trying to uphold his freedom.
Yes it should have been rather obvious to the officer in this case that the hunter picking up his kid did not intend to disembowel or skin people with his hunting knife. If anything, a reasonable officer should have said, “well you leave that at home next time sir” and that would have been the end of the story. For some reason it was taken into a very expensive absurdum this time.

Back