Recommendation? 1095 Steel Rust

Hi,

I’ve just got back home after weekend camping and my 1095 steel axe is pretty dirty with tree sap, smudge, dirt. So, I took universal cleansing cream and went to the bathroom: scouring pad, warm water, and the cream. The axe is clean but it turned kinda yellow. I took a bath spray which removes rust that I know for sure. Sprayed the axe, washed it off. And when it was drying, still it got somewhat yellowish.

Is it patina or rust? I sprayed it with WD40 after all that and thinking about some steel wool.

What would you recommend? Thanks!

Just about any oil will keep it from rusting but you need to dry it soon after washing then a film of oil. My dad always kept his carbon tools, axe, saws and such wrapped in an oily rag.

Also, I use mineral oil to clean the sap, dirt and rust off and it works good as a rust preventer too. Water will always make them rust.

The 'universal cleansing cream' might have some acidic ingredients contributing to the rusting, after cleaning.

Having said that, scrubbing the steel with some baking soda after any acidic products might be used will neutralize any remaining acidity issues. Bottom line, just make sure the steel is completely clean as it dries. 1095 will rust a little bit, at least. But as long as the tool gets used & cleaned regularly, it likely won't develop into anything serious.

For tree sap BTW, something like Goo Gone or WD-40 usually works pretty well for cleaning that up.

Last edited:
what about renaissance wax? Although I'm not sure if it's safe if you're using your knife for food prep. However, if a knife spends most of its days stored in a case perhaps?

Back