1095 vs. 1075

I have been using 1095 steel for most of my knife blades with good success. Are there any advantages in using 1075 steel? Time to order more steel.
Thanks,

1075 has less carbon, so it won't hold an edge as well but it'll be tougher. If you make large chopping knives I'd go with the 1075, if you make smaller slicers I'd stick with the 1095.

The advantage of 1075 is that it is the eutectic for simple carbon steel.The temperature curves are the best for HT.It will produce a fine blade.Many (most?) katana and wakazashi swords are made from it.
Stacy

I'm just repeating what has been said, but a little differently :)

The "issue" with 1095, is you have a VERY short time to get it from fire to quenchant AND successfully get it hardened. With a eutectoid steel like 1075, you have a much longer time-frame (it's a matter of seconds) but it makes a big difference.

Whenever somebody wants to poo-poo 1095 too much though, I always remind them that Don Fogg works nearly exclusively with 1095 in his straight carbon blades. And we all know what Don is capable of.

The caveat to that? No one else does what Don does! :D :eek:

For most guys 1075 would probably be the "easier choice." However, if you have been successfully using 1095, then I don't see a reason to change. :)

go with 1075 or even 1080..........From what I heard its a killer steel to use. Where are you getting it from? Make 2 small knives.........bet you cant tell a difference :)

Back